Clear worms 3/8-1/2 in my rockwool

• Thread starter zx625
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

zx625

Please help,
I have clear 3/8-1/2 inch worms in my rockwool. They do not seem to be black fly larvae because I don't see the black head typically associated with the black fly. Can anyone tell me what kind of worms these are and how to treat them?

D

Donk Frog

They are most likley fugus gnat larva....are there any small little flies in the room...shake sa plant or two and see....

Hrpuffnstuff

Hrpuffnstuff

fungus nat babies! no worries they just get stuck on nuggs is about all
your medium may be a little to moist/wet

P

PureSugar

Please help,
I have clear 3/8-1/2 inch worms in my rockwool. They do not seem to be black fly larvae because I don't see the black head typically associated with the black fly. Can anyone tell me what kind of worms these are and how to treat them?

I know you say they don't have a black head but other than that do they look like the picture below?

Are you top feeding or flooding? One of the best and easiest ways to deal with fungus gnats is to keep the top inch or two dry. The eggs and larvae can't survive without any moisture, and the few that do survive won't have a good environment to lay new eggs and since they only live for about a week you can break the cycle quickly. It also sounds like you found them early so if you act quickly you're only dealing with larvae and eggs.

Can you give some more detail about your setup and tell us what stage of growth the plants are in? There are several ways to control these guys most dont require any pesticides. The method of watering, size of cubes, size of plants, will allow us to give you the best advice.

Gnatlarva
Z

zx625

I am now sure they are not fungus gnats. My newest observation is that they have little white eggs inside them and they are almost totally clear accept for some cloudy white in their body's.
Thanks
zx625

Z

zx625

Puresugar,
Sorry for not responding sooner my computer crashed.

They definitely do not look like your picture. they are about 2/100ths thick by 1/8" to 3/8" long, are clear with white eggs inside of them. Also the have the appearance of a worm, shaped like an earth worm but a little thinner proportionality.

They are throughout both rooms (veg and bloom).

I am top feeding into 6" cubes (veg). I am top feeding into two 8" cubes, with a 6" cube on top (stacked bloom area). The worms are throughout the cubes top to bottom.

Would appreciate you or anybody else identifying them, thus allowing me to address eradication.

PS
I know what gnats look like, these are not gnats!

S

ShorelineTex

Puresugar,
Sorry for not responding sooner my computer crashed.

They definitely do not look like your picture. they are about 2/100ths thick by 1/8" to 3/8" long, are clear with white eggs inside of them. Also the have the appearance of a worm, shaped like an earth worm but a little thinner proportionality.

They are throughout both rooms (veg and bloom).

I am top feeding into 6" cubes (veg). I am top feeding into two 8" cubes, with a 6" cube on top (stacked bloom area). The worms are throughout the cubes top to bottom.

Would appreciate you or anybody else identifying them, thus allowing me to address eradication.

PS
I know what gnats look like, these are not gnats!

EDIT: I THOUGHT THE PIC ON THE OTHER POST WAS FROM THE ORIGINAL POSTER...MY BAD. (I'll shut up now)

They're totally gnat larvae...if you don't believe me, look at the pics on this site:

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/howto/Pests/FungusGnatLarvae.php

Z

zooted

it is possible to have differences in even larvae that to me looks just like fungus gnat larvae i am dealling with currently I need a dunk!

S

ShorelineTex

Did they look like this, maybe?

http://media.invalid.com/image/root worms/captain_mail/root/november/mark_hogg_worms.jpg

(Found this while Googling "Root worms").

Z

zx625

Oxygen bloom... its medical grade hydrogen peroxide im sure itll kill anything in your medium....
post a pic of these fuckers!

Did you toss some hydrogen peroxide in there?

Yes I did. First I isolated them (Nematodes)(Thanks ShorlineTex) on a piece of black plastic and put the 3% solution (Hydrogen Peroxide) directly on them and watched them fry. Then applied the solution directly to my plants (the rockwool cubes). 2 days latter there were some still alive but appeared to be moving much slower. I then took some solution out of my tank again isolated one and it took about 30 minutes to die and then start to fry (bubble). My plants don't look that great but a cant tell if its from the Nematodes or the Hydrogen Peroxide. Do you think the 3% solution was to much?

Thanks,
zx625

M

monkey

I have a similar problem!

My first grow! Im growing in john innings which was a big mistake to start with, they are about 6 weeks into flower. I have noticed there are all these tiny little creatures in the soil. They are tiny! less than 0.5mm with lots of little legs. They look like tiny shrimp! When I water is the easiest time to see them they all swim around in the water in the top of pot. I have checked under the plasic covering the top of soil and they seem to love it under there. There are no flies in the room.

Does any one know what the f*'! are they and do I need to kill them?

I 2 plants 2 weeks from harvest. One is looking good with dense flowers the other is looking a bit sorry for its self, with lots of flowers but not very dense and pistils turning quick! I was contemplating harvesting the poorer plant now to save what smoke is left and persevering with the good one? I did fuck up the feeding regiem in early flowering so plants are a little yellow. Also I don't know what strain they are as it was my first go I just used seeds found in buds, I did not want to spend £50.00 on good seeds just to make a beginers error and waste them!

If anyone knows what those bugs are and are they detrimental to my crop?

Cheers Monkey

Z

zx625

Well as it turns out they are harmless nematodes. With that said I believe that my problem has been over watering (root rot). Thanks to everyone who replied and tried to help.

zx625

Top Bottom