sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
^^^I agree also the turbo clone has a built in cooling fan for the pump

J

jonnynu

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey fractal..how ya doin ? Liked your set up and found the exact same thing at Lowe's for about $17...no big deal, but I need to keep the temps up and my room right now is down to the 56 degrees at night and in the 70s during the day...? is what is the best way to keep the temps up...at least with regard to the water basin in the low 80s in order to increase the rooting....need all of the info I can get on this one...I have no clue at this point how to achieve this...help! Don't want to get started with cuts when the temps are so low at night.

fractal

fractal

Aquarium tank heater. It looks like a curling iron sort of with a thermometer on it and you stick it in the reservoir.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
An aquarium heater may not always do the trick if it gets cold enough, and so I also have on hand the following low-wattage heat solutions: waterbed heater pad (small footprint, very adjustable, can heat a much larger volume of water that's set on top), and my infamous Electric Blanket Sandwich, which is an electric blanket folded up and inserted into contractor's bags, pillowcase-style, sealed up with tape, and this is better when you have a large surface area that needs to be kept warm.

Since my cloner goes into my veg-table, and my veg-table has the EBS (Electric Blanket Sandwich), I use that set-up to help keep temps in range, and the aquarium heater keeps my mix water warmed up a bit. The waterbed heater does the best job of keeping the large volumes warm when the aquarium heater can't keep up.

The waterbed heater is about $55 or so (I got the type for softside beds), and the electric blanket can be free if you've already got one, otherwise about $30 at Walmart.

J

jonnynu

Premium Member
Supporter
Very cool! Thanks for your help!

S

stonedar

I resisted for years, my humidity dome worked 99% of the time why change right? My wife gave me a Daisy Cloner for my Birthday, I fell in love with aero-cloning right away. No more than 3 weeks later I had made my own DIY 24 site, which is plenty for me (perpetual.)
If you make your own buy a rubbermade roughtote tub, the others I have tried leaked.

S

stonedar

The only thing I dread is the power going out when I'm trying to root something that I don't have backups for but overall hydro cloners are so much better and cheaper in the long run...

If for some reason your power goes out, and you are lucky enough to be home, just add water to your cloner until the bottom couple inches of your cuttings are submerged. they will survive just fine. If its for more than a day or two change the water. Remember to drain the extra out before starting the pump.

people clone in glasses of water, changed out fresh daily. so doing the above will work fine.

B

Bobby Smith

An aquarium heater may not always do the trick if it gets cold enough, and so I also have on hand the following low-wattage heat solutions: waterbed heater pad (small footprint, very adjustable, can heat a much larger volume of water that's set on top), and my infamous Electric Blanket Sandwich, which is an electric blanket folded up and inserted into contractor's bags, pillowcase-style, sealed up with tape, and this is better when you have a large surface area that needs to be kept warm.

Since my cloner goes into my veg-table, and my veg-table has the EBS (Electric Blanket Sandwich), I use that set-up to help keep temps in range, and the aquarium heater keeps my mix water warmed up a bit. The waterbed heater does the best job of keeping the large volumes warm when the aquarium heater can't keep up.

The waterbed heater is about $55 or so (I got the type for softside beds), and the electric blanket can be free if you've already got one, otherwise about $30 at Walmart.

I haven't fully automated it yet (gonna have a Ranco controlling my chiller and "heater"), but I decided that if I'm gonna need to add heat (been really cold here lately), I'm gonna do something beneficial as well.

Put a venturi onto a (fairly) large pond pump which runs when the water needs to be heated up - heats the water up and also provides huge additional DO - just couldn't in good conscience use watts to heat water and not provide a secondary benefit for me.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That's BRILLIANT! Assuming the pump will warm things up enough. I am totally with you on that, brother, totally.

J

jonnynu

Premium Member
Supporter
Got mine all set up now and works great!!! Now for some advise as to what to add to the water...just looking to do this right the first time...from what I see most of you are setting your ph between 5.2 and 5.5..right? What else would you add to a 27gal res..???

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOU HELP...THIS IS FUN!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Not very much at all, basic vegging nutes at a ppm no higher than, say, 250 (give or take).

Top Bottom