Clone Question

• Thread starter Grnthmb420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Grnthmb420

When transplanting a clone from its rapid rooter, rockwool cube, I've wondered is it better to remove the cube from around the clone roots and transplant it into soil "bareroot" or do you guys just tend to transplant the clone with the rockwool cube, rapid rooter cube and all into the new soil?

Is one way more beneficial than the other?

G gnome

G gnome

When transplanting a clone from its rapid rooter, rockwool cube, I've wondered is it better to remove the cube from around the clone roots and transplant it into soil "bareroot" or do you guys just tend to transplant the clone with the rockwool cube, rapid rooter cube and all into the new soil?

Is one way more beneficial than the other?
The only way to do it is to transplant the cube and all. Alternatively, u rip the clone outta the cube and kill the clone in the process of transplanting....? They say theres no such thing as a dumb question but thats pretty damn close haha

Papa

Papa

Supporter
there have been times when i was running hydro that the rockwool cube was adding to the moisture at the base of the trunk. it would wick water up and keep the trunk moist. thats not good. in those cases, I would carefully pull rockwool off the top of the cube to allow good air circulation around the trunk so that it would stay dry. when growing in soil however, the full cube has never been a problem for me. and messing with the cube could damage those young roots, which are oh so delicate, and needlessly stress the plant.

'not a dumb question and certainly no reason to be rude to a noob.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

I've use rapid rooters for clones. I've always just left the rooter on and did not attempt to take them off, I don't even know what the benefit of taking it off would be seeing that the roots pop through and make a huge root ball. I have planted them in dirt and in hydro with no issues at all.

Bearfamfarm

Bearfamfarm

If you want bare roots go with an aerocloner. Otherwise as stated please leave it on there and don't damage those delicate roots. Good luck mate

G

Grnthmb420

The only way to do it is to transplant the cube and all. Alternatively, u rip the clone outta the cube and kill the clone in the process of transplanting....? They say theres no such thing as a dumb question but thats pretty damn close haha
There are about 101 different angles that people post on forum boards, and my inquiry did'nt make reference about "ripping" the clone out of the cube. Some plants do quite well being planted bare root, and my question was in wonder if anyone has ever attempted to transplant a clone "bare root." It looks like noone has done this to share about it on this thread. Who knows? Maybe I'll give it a try to see if bare root transplanting takes off faster, and if it does, I will shove this post up your ass, right? haha

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
It's impossible to remove a rapid rooter without destroying the roots on a clone, rockwool maybe, but still doubtful...

fatawa

fatawa

Some plants do quite well being planted bare root, and my question was in wonder if anyone has ever attempted to transplant a clone "bare root.
wen u do this you dnt use rockwool/plugs.solo cup with plastic wrap and a rubberband.once u throw her in plug/rockwool and get her to root its wrap..

Monster762

Monster762

There are about 101 different angles that people post on forum boards, and my inquiry did'nt make reference about "ripping" the clone out of the cube. Some plants do quite well being planted bare root, and my question was in wonder if anyone has ever attempted to transplant a clone "bare root." It looks like noone has done this to share about it on this thread. Who knows? Maybe I'll give it a try to see if bare root transplanting takes off faster, and if it does, I will shove this post up your ass, right? haha
Calm down no one here really means harm. I know nothing about clones but if you think you got it go for it. Just be prepared for either way it ends up. If you do succeed you should definitely post it though. There is never too much knowledge. No one knows everything. And if it does succeed then it's obvious that people can learn from it. Just because no one has successfully done something doesn't mean it can't be done. Honestly most probably didn't try hard enough or knew what ways they've had better success and they stick with that. Until someone shows a different approach. Trial and error that's how we all learn. Hope it goes well if you try it still.

G gnome

G gnome

I transplant clones "bare root" all the time but out of an aero cloner. How do u think ur gonna remove a rooted clone from a rockwool cube or an rapid rooter plug w/o rippin it outta there?
Its obvious u have a very tenuous understanding of the cloning process.
When u inevitability fail are u gonna eat ur words?

Calm down no one here really means harm. I know nothing about clones but if you think you got it go for it. Just be prepared for either way it ends up. If you do succeed you should definitely post it though. There is never too much knowledge. No one knows everything. And if it does succeed then it's obvious that people can learn from it. Just because no one has successfully done something doesn't mean it can't be done. Honestly most probably didn't try hard enough or knew what ways they've had better success and they stick with that. Until someone shows a different approach. Trial and error that's how we all learn. Hope it goes well if you try it still.
Im not sayin it cant be done....im sayin its dumb as hell haha

G

Grnthmb420

I transplant clones "bare root" all the time but out of an aero cloner. How do u think ur gonna remove a rooted clone from a rockwool cube or an rapid rooter plug w/o rippin it outta there?
Its obvious u have a very tenuous understanding of the cloning process.
When u inevitability fail are u gonna eat ur words?

Im not sayin it cant be done....im sayin its dumb as hell haha
You're the one who is dumb as hell G-nome. Stupid ignorant F heads like yourself who can only be negative are the ones who can't learn. That's exactly why you put other people down. Its all you can do -- asshole. do you feel empowered somehow by insulting other people who ask a question? Your ignorance proves you' re far from perfect. Stay off my thread and go F*ck yourself.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
You're the one who is dumb as hell G-nome. Stupid ignorant F heads like yourself who can only be negative are the ones who can't learn. That's exactly why you put other people down. Its all you can do -- asshole. do you feel empowered somehow by insulting other people who ask a question? Your ignorance proves you' re far from perfect. Stay off my thread and go F*ck yourself.
He does it because he gets the reaction you just gave him lol...

G

Grnthmb420

He does it because he gets the reaction you just gave him lol...
No need to worry about the unknown skunk. No-one knows me well enough to believe I'm that predictable. I thought my post was to the point, and I don't feel like I wasted any of my time.
However, I speak the truth, and seek the truth, and before joining this forum, and after reading many of the threads, I felt it was a versatile place to discuss cannabis.
If g-numbnuts was truly intelligent, he would have had the sense to know not to respond to what he felt was a stupid question in the first place.

On the topic of my original post, and in response to suggestions, and in an attempt to speed up my plant growth, I DID take 4 of my newly rooted clones and carefully picked the rockwool, and rapid rooter cubes apart, (2 of each) and I did NOT damage any of the tender roots, and then carefully transplanted them BAREROOT into a good quality soil medium, and then fed them a mix of nutrients (things like, KNL, along with indole 3 butyric acid, and some kelp, and the bareroot transplantations have outgrown the clones left in their cubes 2 almost 3 to one in overall vigor.
the bareroot transplants are twice as tall and and much more top growth than the clones left in the cubes.

I originally asked the question to see if anyone had previously done this to see if there was any information on the subject.

I will also add that the bareroot transplants sent roots to the bottom of the cup, and continue to nicely fill out their root system in 2 days, whereas the clones in the cubes had not gone any further than halfway.

Overall, if you are stoned and patient enough and are meticulous to pick away the cubes from the roots, apparently this provides some advantage to the clone when transplanted -- all 4 of them seemed to react to the nutes I gave very quickly. This was my result, and it works in the clone stage. I don't think I'd go doing this at any later stage of growth.

Last edited:
h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

On the topic of my original post, and in response to suggestions, and in an attempt to speed up my plant growth, I DID take 4 of my newly rooted clones and carefully picked the rockwool, and rapid rooter cubes apart, (2 of each) and I did NOT damage any of the tender roots, and then carefully transplanted them BAREROOT into a good quality soil medium, and then fed them a mix of nutrients (things like, KNL, along with indole 3 butyric acid, and some kelp, and the bareroot transplantations have outgrown the clones left in their cubes 2 almost 3 to one in overall vigor.
the bareroot transplants are twice as tall and and much more top growth than the clones left in the cubes.

I will also add that the bareroot transplants sent roots to the bottom of the cup, and continue to nicely fill out their root system in 2 days, whereas the clones in the cubes had not gone any further than halfway.

Overall, if you are stoned and patient enough and are meticulous to pick away the cubes from the roots, apparently this provides some advantage to the clone when transplanted -- all 4 of them seemed to react to the nutes I gave very quickly. This was my result, and it works in the clone stage. I don't think I'd go doing this at any later stage of growth.

I have cloned using both rapid rooter and rockwool. I have found that the rapid rooter is much quicker in producing roots from the clone than the rockwool. With rapid rooter, I start seeing the first roots within 5 days and within 10 days, I absolutely need to plant them because they have roots coming out everywhere and getting too long. With the rockwool, it seemed to be over 10 days before I started seeing roots and I never saw the amount of roots from the rockwool that I see with the rapid rooters. I've also had rockwool failures where clones didn't make it. I've never had a failure with the rapid rooters.

I'm wondering if the density/pH of the rockwool has something to do with it... when you did the comparison to you leave any of the clones in the rapid rooters?

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

No need to worry about the unknown skunk. No-one knows me well enough to believe I'm that predictable. I thought my post was to the point, and I don't feel like I wasted any of my time.
However, I speak the truth, and seek the truth, and before joining this forum, and after reading many of the threads, I felt it was a versatile place to discuss cannabis.
If g-numbnuts was truly intelligent, he would have had the sense to know not to respond to what he felt was a stupid question in the first place.

I originally asked the question to see if anyone had previously done this to see if there was any information on the subject.

I call bs all day on this I use RR if u even tug on the stem u snap all them roots

if u can do this with out dmg any roots then u in the wrong line of work u would be one hell of a surgeon

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I have cloned using both rapid rooter and rockwool. I have found that the rapid rooter is much quicker in producing roots from the clone than the rockwool. With rapid rooter, I start seeing the first roots within 5 days and within 10 days, I absolutely need to plant them because they have roots coming out everywhere and getting too long. With the rockwool, it seemed to be over 10 days before I started seeing roots and I never saw the amount of roots from the rockwool that I see with the rapid rooters. I've also had rockwool failures where clones didn't make it. I've never had a failure with the rapid rooters.

I'm wondering if the density/pH of the rockwool has something to do with it... when you did the comparison to you leave any of the clones in the rapid rooters?
Maybe your rockwool was too wet, do you flick out the extra water with a few fingernail flicks?
If your rockwool is saturated with no air pockets they don't work as well.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

@Grnthmb420
This is your only warning to tone it down. Calling ppl names will not be tolerated on this site. We are all adults here, so please act accordingly.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I also use aero cloners, then either pot in solo cups or bare root for others

Latest posts

Top Bottom