Clones for sex determination for my first time indoor photo period bag seed grow

• Thread starter BearWater
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Good morning Farmers! I want to take clones for flipping to determine sex of current vegging plants (trying to get a better idea of what’s to come) and I’m really not sure the best way to go about it. Should I put the cuttings in my “seed starter mix” or do I really need the clone cubes and gel? I know there is a proper way of doing this but being im only trying determine sex and will terminate all cuttings after that has happened. I do have my “super duper soil” that they are all in now and will finish out it their pots. I hav the means to throw a clone dome thing together if that is also necessary.

Here’s a pic of the plants ( should I wait until I top and trim these things to get the cuttings?) that makes sense to me but again im very green at this.
Clones for sex determination for my first time indoor photo period bag seed grow
Clones for sex determination for my first time indoor photo period bag seed grow 2

Bilber

Bilber

Hey Bear......I have a clone in my little flower area that wasn't rooted when it went in.....

Some clones are more durable than others, depending on where and when you took them....

The reason I mention that, is because, you can throw a clone in flower to find out sex, rooted or not......

Again......not all clones will work this way.....I've got a soil clone that is being a bitch.....some are great.....some are not so great....

7munkee

7munkee

Call me crazy but that seems like a lot work to determine sex when you can just look at the preflowers @ about 6-8 weeks of veg.

The cuttings will be the same age as the donor plant so you will STILL have to wait the same amount of time.

Am I missing something?

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Call me crazy but that seems like a lot work to determine sex when you can just look at the preflowers @ about 6-8 weeks of veg.
Oh no you’re not crazy! Im the one that’s crazy : ) I was wanting to get rid of all the males and have the females im keeping all ready in there final pots. I suffer from some anxiety which makes me over think and stress about shit that is out of my control haha. Realistically im only a few weeks away from the 6 week mark on the XX and Raskals. The banana garlic are almost there.

The cuttings will be the same age as the donor plant so you will STILL have to wait the same amount of time.
So I may be under the wrong impression but hear me out on this one : ) if I take my cuttings today and flip them to 12/12 today I would know which is which by the end of the weekend. Then I could go and get rid of all the males and the females that I wont keep. (This is all based on my inexperience) and I can start the process of just dealing with my “keepers”. But your first comment makes the most sense! I think im just getting all antsy in my pantsy! 🤣

Am I missing something?
I think Im the one missing something hahaha.

So in summery what you are thinking is I can wait a few more weeks without having to do the cutting and flip them and will be able to tell pre flower?

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I think it’s a pretty common practice! Specially, for outdoor growers! I’ve never done it! Might be worth a try! Don’t have much to lose!

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
I think it’s a pretty common practice! Specially, for outdoor growers! I’ve never done it! Might be worth a try! Don’t have much to lose!
We had clones from a mother we took so I never had to worry about it, i just dont want to be wasting my time if I dont have too : ) I could also instead of killing the females off use them in the garden for a funsy outdoor run🤷🏼‍♂️

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Right on ! Experimenting is half the fun! Good luck! If you do it, let us know how it turns out!

Bilber

Bilber

Hey 7......no.....you are not missing anything.....throwing them in flower gives them a quicker jump.....seemed to work for me in the past.....factual?.........🕳

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
There’s a bunch of stuff on YouTube about it! As usual! I may give it a try this year myself!
Im going to check it out. I read through the farm but everything I found was for actually taking clones for propagation and I feel that needs to be done very correct for a great outcome ( so that being said if I do end up “experimenting” ill clone correctly)

R

RGWD0202

Im going to check it out. I read through the farm but everything I found was for actually taking clones for propagation and I feel that needs to be done very correct for a great outcome ( so that being said if I do end up “experimenting” ill clone correctly)
There is a company that will tell you sex of your plants, you just need to send them a piece of the plant I think it’s like $15 each test, discounted if you send more. Would save you time, money, resources. Much easier and faster than cloning and taking the clones to flower.

Last edited:
Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
There are many different ways to clone. You can clone directly in soil, in an aero cloner, in root riot cubes, in rock wool, or in a cup of water. Many options to choose from.

I frequently do this when growing from seed that are not feminized - just take your cuttings and put them under 12/12 immediately. They will start to show sex in a week or two. Once you have become proficient at determining sex in early stages, you'll be able to tell very quickly if it's male or female.

Newty

Newty

There is a company that will tell you sex of your plants, you just need to send them a piece of the plant I think it’s like $15 each test, discounted if you send more. Would save you time, money, resources. Much easier and faster than cloning and taking the clones to flower.

15 bucks per plant?!?! Idk about saving money, I would just go buy guaranteed female clones or feminized seeds for that price. Just my opinion, at least for the OP situation anyways but see benefits in a commercial operation.

@BearWater determining sex by cuttings is going to work great for you until you forget which one is which 😋

Bilber

Bilber

I've come up empty handed on information on whether or not taking clones and flowering is actually quicker.....it works, but whether or not it's faster...........

Z

Zab

Check out post #71 he has a link there for testing @ $4 plus seed testing, I have never used it just passing it along.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Once you have become proficient at determining sex in early stages, you'll be able to tell very quickly if it's male or female.
This is one reason i want to get them out of the way : ) I’m concerned ill miss one. Thanks for the info Deadstill!

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
@BearWater determining sex by cuttings is going to work great for you until you forget which one is which 😋
Hahaha!!! I could totally see myself doing this! I almost got the damn seeds mixed up before I even started this project! I learned very quickly to label EVERYTHING! Haha.

Top Bottom