Clones less likely to herm than mother plant?

• Thread starter Neuro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Funny u mentioned that cake. My only herm was a wedding cake lol big ol balls
Wedding cake crosses will always have herms. They are better for pheno hunting a keeper then piping one bean for your tent. The bigger breeders usually state to watch for herms in the lowers.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
So has anyone heard this? It sounds like complete bro science to me and I have no idea why that would be the case but I found an old seed pack from Square1 Genetics where the breeder suggests minimizing your chances of herming by taking clones from your seed plant and flowering those as opposed to the original plant.
I forgot about my sour grape cake, when I hunted those the keeper had a lot of early lower herms but turned out sterile. Then when I have grown it from clone (which I still have) I didn’t see any signs lol.

0281A22C 6DE1 4BBF 9B1F 79F79A73DE42
Neuro

Neuro

If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.
I've seen a few things with GG#4 herm and have heard it's due to the original clone.

Neuro

Neuro

If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.
I forgot about my sour grape cake, when I hunted those the keeper had a lot of early lower herms but turned out sterile. Then when I have grown it from clone (which I still have) I didn’t see any signs lol.
Did you have herm issues with your Apples & Bananas? I found a seed but have seen no signs of herming in any of the progeny.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Did you have herm issues with your Apples & Bananas? I found a seed but have seen no signs of herming in any of the progeny.
I haven’t grown out any of the tgc crosses yet you are the first from what I know. I made the sour grape cake when I made the triangle grape cake.
But I have seen a lonely random seed on the tgc#8 female keeper but like you said no nanners or sings of hermies.

steamroller

steamroller

No matter what nature will find a way and all you can do is lessen the frequency of it happening….
I agree that is one approach, but breeders influence outcome.
Sometimes throwing Mother Nature a curveball can change the game. Stress.
I know that my statements about being acclimated to your grow technique can have a major influence.
What you start with and what you produce [ clones, seeds] will be different depending on husbandry.
Once you are 3 generations in you run the show if you know how, and your product knows and wants what you have to offer if you are doing it right.

All that ^^ being said, also from my breeding experience I remained humble knowing and saying,
As soon as you think you can predict mother nature, she will make a fool of you.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I don't think clone or mother makes more a difference,surely it would work both ways if true, but I believe flowering them before they are mature and out of their natural climate may. So perhaps the frequency of hermies is due to people flowering immature plants and the clones have been alive longer. I also believe over time it can be bred out of a strain by culling the hermies and breeding the remainder provided a large enough sample. Cannabis is naturally dioecious and nature wants it that way.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Mother plants are often abused, causing stress and hermies. I had a mother plant that hermied and sure enough, I noticed a male in the tent wearing a wife beater shirt. I got him out of there, right away.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Mother plants are often abused, causing stress and hermies. I had a mother plant that hermied and sure enough, I noticed a male in the tent wearing a wife beater shirt. I got him out of there, right away.
I had a really nice male that i thought was a female in veg then when i flowered it,it was male but took long to show, i decided to keep it and put it on 24 light and it reversed within a week and started tossing just female flowers and stopped making pods, i ditched as well later,maybe due to light maybe not, i have revegged females who stayed stable many times.

Top Bottom