Clones rate inconsistent..

• Thread starter connoisseurde420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

So I have had problems for the last year consistently getting good rates of success. About a year ago I switched from pure blend to sensi gro to raw salts 4 months ago till now. I didn't have to worry much about runoff or salt buildup with pbp. Then I start getting all these random problems. Clones not rooting, nutrient burn/buildup , slow growth etc. I have attributed my problems to salt build up and now have been watering to 20-30% runoff at ec 1.0-1.8 with ro water in promix I have been reusing (more likely compounding my problems). it has been about two weeks now of runoff after flushing everything with 300ppm. I took my last cuts a week and they did horrible again. I'm hoping the mothers were not fully back on track and just needed more time before cloning. Everything has 500-1000 ppm run off now and before I took my last clones. so my main question is what am I doing to keep my clones from rooting.

Here is my process: first soak rokwol cubes in 2-400 ppm flower food at 5.5-5.8 pH an hour or overnight depending. cut stems with clean scissors and stick in to ro water for 15mins to 2 days. Sometimes if left overnight the stems go soggy and shrivel up at this point even though they were clearly in water the whole time. The most locked out plants did this i believe.
Then I use clonex as I always have clean fresh razor cut under ro water. Then under dome in to rokwol cubes with heat mat and two t5 2' sitting on the top of the dome in a room of the house separate from my grow room.
From here I take the dome off daily to air them out for the first week and by this time most of them have died. the stems become soggy, shrivel up even though the top looks fine. They sometimes wilt wether I close then holes on dome or leave it off. This last time they had Alot of stems in the cubes that rotted or lose the outside layer and get mushy. I am ruling out lo moisture, high moisture, temps, cleanliness I think. This is absolutely killing me right now! I''ve taken literally 1000s of cuts only to receive a handful. I've tried so many ways its ridiculous. Read alot of threads and still not sure. All I can think is the salt buildup all this time is screwing me over. The only thing consistent thru the gardens is the salt. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I have so many varieties I haven't ran and ones to don't want to lose. Really hope someone can help. Thanks farm.

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

This cut looked good on top, but look at the stem at the bottom
Tmp 10339 IMAG0942 332495940

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

Pulled these out today at 5 or 6 days. Bloody massacre on my hands...
Tmp 10339 IMAG0944 1804403616

organicpanic

organicpanic

Sorry your having problems. So this started at the onset of salt use or no? I would be looking at my water supply even if it is ro. I get water reports 2-4 times a year as a courtesy from my municipal. And it does change, might be something to look at. Did you get your wool mega bulk? Might be something hiding in there as well? And if you attribute the problems to salt ditch that shit. I did and haven't been happier. Just my speculation of course. Good luck and I hope you get it figured out quickly!

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

@organicpanic I think it started about the same time. Don't want to ditch the salts as they are not the problem, me the grower using them incorrectly is. I can grow full organic but I leave it outside in the green house. My indoor is a different story. The wool has been from different places over the last year. My water changed but don't think its the problem. Others on the same water are doing fine without ro.

organicpanic

organicpanic

I'll be watching waiting for answers. I'm not a big cloner by any means just thought I'd throw a couple things out there! My methods are quit neanderthol so Ive got no more to add. Best of luck!

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

I'll be watching waiting for answers. I'm not a big cloner by any means just thought I'd throw a couple things out there! My methods are quit neanderthol so Ive got no more to add. Best of luck!
Thanks for the input. Pretty sure I need to wait for new growth and for the plants to be healthy again. Going to take one or two at a time till they start rooting good again

Coir

Coir

My method is much more simple but I have not lost a clone in as long as I can remember. I use an old pair of scissors or a razorblade, whatever happens to be within reach. I only cut about three inches and trim off the lowest leaf if there is one. Immediately dip the stem in clonex gel and place into one of the brown spongy root cubes soaked in well water or into a plastic cup with holes in the bottom with fresh coco inside that has been watered with full strength nutrient. I don't use a humidity dome or anything like that. If it's hot and dry out, I will mist the cuttings with straight well water a couple of times and that's it. Some strains root faster than others and a few difficult ones I actually pulled out and dipped them a second time in clonex after a couple of weeks and they finally rooted. Watch out for fungus gnats. I have had problems with the larva feeding on the roots as they try and immerge. Hypoaspis or Cap's bennies, or something similar to control them does wonders.
Don't keep your cubes too wet or humidity too high as that slows down root growth.
Someone gave me some mad farmer gel last week and I just used it this weekend. It's much more thick than the clonex gel and a bit stronger. I'll know soon if it works any better.

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

That is actually what I was thinking @Coir. Straight to pro mix in cups. humidity is super low here 20-30s here so I leave the dome on with the vents open<~this keeps the humidity 50-60%. I have followed med mans no dome cloning, inconsistent tho for me. Try, try again...

purpleberry

purpleberry

One of the most important things is the temp. Make sure the room is about 75 at all times. If you are below 70 or about 80, that is a problem. I use to have problems sometimes and it was always temp related. I never have problems now.
I start with healthy mothers.
I flush a gallon threw my cubes and drain them off some, Not real dry. but not soaking wet.
Cut it so one node is inside the rockwool, your first pic looks like just stem
Forget rooting hormones, They are a waste of money. I challenge anyone to do a tray half and half. I have several times and the hormones don't root any faster.
Put the dome on and leave them for a week, Then crack open the vents for another week. Pulling the dome off once a day to air them out and check if they need water. I fertilize lightly if they need water.
KISS works wonder if you have a room at 75 degrees.

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

One of the most important things is the temp. Make sure the room is about 75 at all times. If you are below 70 or about 80, that is a problem. I use to have problems sometimes and it was always temp related. I never have problems now.
I start with healthy mothers.
I flush a gallon threw my cubes and drain them off some, Not real dry. but not soaking wet.
Cut it so one node is inside the rockwool, your first pic looks like just stem
Forget rooting hormones, They are a waste of money. I challenge anyone to do a tray half and half. I have several times and the hormones don't root any faster.
Put the dome on and leave them for a week, Then crack open the vents for another week. Pulling the dome off once a day to air them out and check if they need water. I fertilize lightly if they need water.
KISS works wonder if you have a room at 75 degrees.
Temps r good like you say between 70-80 in the dome. I used rooting hormone on all of them. But they shrivel and die tho. healthy mom's is more likely the problem but I don't know what happens when you try to cut a mom in need of flush.. never had the problem till the last year or so. That's the only thing I can think to be causing me so many problems. I flushed but last batch was horrible

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

I don't like the statement that fresh cuts in water are wilting.
I'd look for stem nematodes as a long shot.
it's weird how the stem shrivels and the top looks good . I will look in to nematodes thanks

urban1026835

urban1026835

another subscriber of the cloning in straight coco method here. no domes just cut dip and stick it in a cup-o-coco no misting unless necessary and no dome.

Had more problems with domes/trays/heat mats etc.. now I just keep it simple

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

So when i went to water today most my mom's I wanted to cut still needed flush most runoff was about 1800 ppm still on the 5 gallon pots that have been around awhile. Probably why the cuts didn't make it. So I flushed down to 5-800 ppm with 2-300ppms feed water. Going to set new cuts in water overnight and see if I get the stem shrivel. The good ones I will plant no dome. I have some other plants that are flushed well I will try to cut tomorrow with no dome. I will keep yaall posted as to what happens and post some pics up too. Thanks everyone again

Top Bottom