Cloning and Mothers

• Thread starter OCKushCollector
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OCKushCollector

OCKushCollector

Excuse my newbness in advance but I have a few questions about cloning and selecting mothers. I'll be starting my first indoor grow in soil (have a few outdoor grows under my belt so it's not brand new to me), and I will be popping some high dollar seeds, so I want to ask some questions about cloning. I have researched how to clone and feel confident with it, but I didn't see these questions addressed anywhere so I am asking in this topic.

1. At what point do you clone your plants? Once they've been sexed? Once they've vegged for a few weeks? Once flowering? Or after being harvested?

2. What exactly is a mother? I understand it's a plant which has desirable characteristics, but is it a plant you grow for the purpose of cloning? Do you harvest or flower the mother at any point, and at what point do you take your clones?

3. Once a mother is selected, do you keep it in a separate chamber where it is always in veg with lights on 24/7? Will it keep growing and growing throughout the whole time? How long does it last and how many clones can you get from the mother?

4. Is it safe to transfer clones into "hot" nutrient rich soil once rooted in peat pellets? Or do you mix the hot soil with something?

5. Is there a certain time frame which you must veg it as a clone until you transfer it to your final pots/soil bed and put it on a regular feeding schedule?

6. Finally, once you transfer clones into full on veg stage, when do you start feeding regularly? I understand that when using rich soil, the nutrients in the soil alone are good enough for a few weeks without adding anything.

hightide

hightide

I like to veg until it's large enough to take a cutting, root the cutting then put the oringinal into flower. Keep the cutting until the main is finished so that you have a sample. I've done this with multiple cuttings in a closet grow and kept enough room to keep everything going. This will give you a few to chose from and a finished product to judge.

hiboy

hiboy

Excuse my newbness in advance but I have a few questions about cloning and selecting mothers. I'll be starting my first indoor grow in soil (have a few outdoor grows under my belt so it's not brand new to me), and I will be popping some high dollar seeds, so I want to ask some questions about cloning. I have researched how to clone and feel confident with it, but I didn't see these questions addressed anywhere so I am asking in this topic.

1. At what point do you clone your plants? Once they've been sexed? Once they've vegged for a few weeks? Once flowering? Or after being harvested?

2. What exactly is a mother? I understand it's a plant which has desirable characteristics, but is it a plant you grow for the purpose of cloning? Do you harvest or flower the mother at any point, and at what point do you take your clones?

3. Once a mother is selected, do you keep it in a separate chamber where it is always in veg with lights on 24/7? Will it keep growing and growing throughout the whole time? How long does it last and how many clones can you get from the mother?

4. Is it safe to transfer clones into "hot" nutrient rich soil once rooted in peat pellets? Or do you mix the hot soil with something?

5. Is there a certain time frame which you must veg it as a clone until you transfer it to your final pots/soil bed and put it on a regular feeding schedule?

6. Finally, once you transfer clones into full on veg stage, when do you start feeding regularly? I understand that when using rich soil, the nutrients in the soil alone are good enough for a few weeks without adding anything.

1. If raising from seed you have to sex first, then take clones.
2. Yes mom is mom of all your soon to be clones.
3. Mom can stay with her babies for as long as u like.
4. Clones have ppm under 500 or half strength.
5. Your leaves will claw if you mix ur nutes too hot.
6. Slowly raise ppm up over the first couple weeks. Some soil is too hot.
h

ronvmpc

ronvmpc

Edit: I'm a dick.

OCKushCollector

OCKushCollector

I like to veg until it's large enough to take a cutting, root the cutting then put the oringinal into flower. Keep the cutting until the main is finished so that you have a sample. I've done this with multiple cuttings in a closet grow and kept enough room to keep everything going. This will give you a few to chose from and a finished product to judge.

So once the selected original is finished, how do you take more clones from her when she's done? You can't clone a clone right?

ronvmpc

ronvmpc

Thank you sir for your profound wisdom. A real asset to this site for sure :clapping

K. That came off ass dick but so did you. I didn't mean it like that. But seriously to find a dank mom takes a lot of time. A least for me. So if you want to blow me off as a useless asset then please do, cause your right, I am. Everyone of those question that you asked has a million different answer's that each person will answer differently. Sorry for posting useless bullshit from someone who is a dick. I'll even edit my post for ya.

Good luck and I hope you find some glorious genetics.:rock

W

wanderingwobble

once you take cutting from the original plant, you keep the cutting in veg. use lst, supercropping, or toppping to branch your plants out, then take more clones from it. and so on and so forth. i usually keep my mothers for about a year. anything longer than that and i start having issues/

OCKushCollector

OCKushCollector

K. That came off ass dick but so did you. I didn't mean it like that. But seriously to find a dank mom takes a lot of time. A least for me. So if you want to blow me off as a useless asset then please do, cause your right, I am. Everyone of those question that you asked has a million different answer's that each person will answer differently. Sorry for posting useless bullshit from someone who is a dick. I'll even edit my post for ya.

Good luck and I hope you find some glorious genetics.:rock

I came off as a dick in response to what I observed to be a smart ass remark. If you didn't mean it that way my apologies. I just purchased some Alien genetics so I'm really not trying to fuck it up and to select a good mom to put out for me :pimp:

ronvmpc

ronvmpc

I'm sorry bro. Rough day and I'm being a total bitch. Let me give a go at your questions.

If from regular seeds, I wait a week or 2 to see sex. Once I know there female then i clone. Make sure to label. If you have 2 female og's of the same type then label og #1, og #2, etc. That way when you chop you know the different trait each pheno of the same strain has.

A mom is your choice of pheno. Out of 100 females you fine that one super dank piece of ass that blows away the rest away, keep that clone vegging until she starts getting big. Then you can take multiple clones and bada bing you have a whole room full of clones that you know will replicate that mom. For me a desirable mom is one that is vigorous in growth, gives me little to no probs as she flowers, and yields to pay the bills. And will knock me on my ass.

Yes. Setup a veg room to keep your moms and to root and grow your clones so they can be ready to put in the flower room as soon as your flowering plants are done. 18/6-24 hours. Varies from grower to grower.

I've had bad experiences with hot soil. I will not answer this as my answer is un bias.

Every one has there style. SOG to 4 lbs monsters. All depends what you want to grow. I don't feed clones until they show signs of needing some food. Usually when the 3rd set of leaves form.

To be honest I 'm coco grower indoors. When I go outdoors my chicks are already used to nutes so they love the rich soil with some sun. I can't answer this honestly out of inexperience.

I'm sorry about how we started off. Hope this helps.

P.S. ALIEN GENETICS YOU LUCKY P.O.S.

S

sk2004

So once the selected original is finished, how do you take more clones from her when she's done? You can't clone a clone right?

Have better results luck growing out clones to become the new mothers every 6 months to a year. Last summer was bad and ended up hanging onto the mothers longer than i should have, and they ended up all nasty and woody. On 4 cloning (c4) from original seeds, and seem to hold up well. Only exception is that cloning from regen seems to go to crap quickly. Think as long as they stay in veg or nothing bad happens to stress them could go on cloning indefinitely.

hiboy

hiboy

hardest part is finding the ones u want to keep as moms and not screwing up like mislabeling or misplacing the clones from what ur growing.. ive done it several times, finally have them labeled correctly, crossing fingers, and now its off to the races
h

OCKushCollector

OCKushCollector

I'm sorry bro. Rough day and I'm being a total bitch. Let me give a go at your questions.

I'm sorry about how we started off. Hope this helps.

P.S. ALIEN GENETICS YOU LUCKY P.O.S.

Now those are some solid and informative answers that help out an indoor newb such as myself. Thanks for clearing that up, and again apologies if I misunderstood your first reply.

Lucky is correct, my tax refund just happened to come at the right time :banana1sv6:

Have better results luck growing out clones to become the new mothers every 6 months to a year. Last summer was bad and ended up hanging onto the mothers longer than i should have, and they ended up all nasty and woody. On 4 cloning (c4) from original seeds, and seem to hold up well. Only exception is that cloning from regen seems to go to crap quickly. Think as long as they stay in veg or nothing bad happens to stress them could go on cloning indefinitely.

hardest part is finding the ones u want to keep as moms and not screwing up like mislabeling or misplacing the clones from what ur growing.. ive done it several times, finally have them labeled correctly, crossing fingers, and now its off to the races
h

Thank you both for your input, it is appreciated.

S

SkunkInTheTrunk

When your growing your mom out to harvest cuttings, it's critical to look at the WHOLE plant. If you grow your plants to about 2 feet and start generating cuttings, you'll see you have 3 "tiers" of growth in the new shoots on the plant. It's crucial you preserve these layers by rem

S

SkunkInTheTrunk

When your growing your mom out to harvest cuttings, it's critical to look at the WHOLE plant. If you grow your plants to about 2 feet and start generating cuttings, you'll see you have 3 "tiers" of growth in the new shoots on the plant. It's crucial you preserve these layers by remOving large fan leaves and pulling cuttings intelligently, because the middle layer will become all your new cuttings after you pull off the mature canopy. The newest growth will become the intermediate canopy and new shoots will pop up.

Dot be too aggressive when cutting your moms at first, every plant is different. I've noticed that indicas are prone to overcrowding and require a heavy hand on pulling cuttings and pruning. Thinner stemmed sativas with a long node space tend to want to stretch and fall over all ugly like when they get cut too aggressively.

I know this doesn't answer all your questions, but hopefully this will help you as your experience fills in the blanks. Good luck!

OCKushCollector

OCKushCollector

When your growing your mom out to harvest cuttings, it's critical to look at the WHOLE plant. If you grow your plants to about 2 feet and start generating cuttings, you'll see you have 3 "tiers" of growth in the new shoots on the plant. It's crucial you preserve these layers by remOving large fan leaves and pulling cuttings intelligently, because the middle layer will become all your new cuttings after you pull off the mature canopy. The newest growth will become the intermediate canopy and new shoots will pop up.

Dot be too aggressive when cutting your moms at first, every plant is different. I've noticed that indicas are prone to overcrowding and require a heavy hand on pulling cuttings and pruning. Thinner stemmed sativas with a long node space tend to want to stretch and fall over all ugly like when they get cut too aggressively.

I know this doesn't answer all your questions, but hopefully this will help you as your experience fills in the blanks. Good luck!

Thanks!

B

Bluenote

Thank you sir for your profound wisdom. A real asset to this site for sure :clapping

You asked for information , he gave you information. If you'll then blow off it's value due to the delivery..........well that says something now doesn't it?

I mean he could have been much harsher , now couldn't he?

OCKushCollector

OCKushCollector

You asked for information , he gave you information. If you'll then blow off it's value due to the delivery..........well that says something now doesn't it?

If you're not here to be helpful, why bother posting?

catdaddy

catdaddy

i totally agree with this post, solid info is solid info no matter how it's delivered.

B

Bluenote

If you're not here to be helpful, why bother posting?

You completely and totally missed the point. And the above is rather a demonstration of an inherently arrogant attitude , nodbody here is *required* to help you , nor are they * required* ti help you in the deferential manner that you seem to require from others.

And insofar as it goes , to run the handle of " KushCollector" and then subsequent to that ask for what is essentially very basic infor and then to dismiss it because you didn't care for the delivery rather speaks volumes.

Top Bottom