Cloning probs

• Thread starter bongobongo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bongobongo

bongobongo

Supporter
Gosh I dunno what I'm doing but I've dont the root riot cubes in a humidity dome for years. Never had a problem, now I'm getting shitty results... We somewhat

So I always take cutting from good parts of plants I'm flipping, nice healthy clones. Dip them in the root gel and place them in root riots and the. Into a high humidity done. I'm guessing 90-100% humidity and temp is on a heat mat set at 79. I spray them and keep them high humidity then gradual back it off ass bet I can. Then I mov them to their second dome with no humidity other then ambient and keep cubes a littl moist not sopping (heat mats help).

Lately when I start gettin ready (day 6) to move the. They get way the fuck droopy and some will fall over. Some won't even sprout roots in 2 weeks but right now I'm barely squeezing by with getting like 50% success:.

I'm trying to compensate cause of the changing weather but this shit is pissing me off. Losing clones left and right. They look like they are wilted with no water, limp.. But they sure as hell got high humidity for 3 days... Some even a week. Any suggestions? I've even cloned off of fresh seed plants and same results. So it's gotta be my climate with the domes.

Today I will take pics/buy new domes plugs roting gel sissors trays and dividers to refurbish everything. I have a feeling it's me fucking up though. The thing is I have nailed clones a whole bunch... Not like I have this happen all the time but when it does it's infuriating. I sometimes even throw them in soil and they sometimes eventually root: which tells me they might be too wet?? I really bed to focus on after 72 hours open up the. Holes on the humidity domes and let them breath

Thanks everyone for any help

SpiderK

SpiderK

ive had issues with clones getting droopy, but it when i take them out of the dome and the leaves dry & they are not drawing water from the stem yet. something i have noticed the smaller cuts, fresh up top ( off bonsai mom ) act much better rooting ect than the larger cuts from the bottom.

so u are taking cuts off every run and do not have a mother ?

SpiderK

SpiderK

last summer i took 3 cuts off some F1's. but only one of the three cuts turned out to be a good looking mother plant.

i have no idea if taking cuts from cuts from cuts is an issue longterm, never done that .....

Canappa

Canappa

This is what I do 100% germ rate. 1) cut the clone and put into water asap, till ready to put into cubes. 2) I let my cubes soak in proper Ph water with a little bit of nitrozyme. 3) I take a cube out and shake all the extra water out of it. Hold with two fingers and move up and down about 5 times till the excess water is removed. 4) take your clone and make the final cut 45degree. I like to use disposable sterile blades I buy at the grow store, dip into the purple clonex gel and put into cube. I like to make the hole a little bigger by poking with an object like a pencil . and I put some gel into the hole also prior to putting the clones in. 5) once the clone is in I rip a little piece of rock wool off and fill the space between the stem and rock wool. I put under a dome tray with and single light on top temps into the low 70's and dont water again till about 6 days later. when they start drying out on there own. think the heating pad might be drying yours out to fast?

B

budfarmer

Bongo I think your problem is mainly the heat mat try a round without it I had problems and dumped the heat mat completely. This is what I did, No damp was banned here so I tried spraying the donor mom with mild Nova the day before taking cuttings which seemed to take care of the damp off problem, Nova is a systemic fungicide probably any systemic fungicide you happen to have laying around would do. The following day I mix up a light nutrient mix of about 160 ppm of base nutrient ONLY (don't use any N in your solution it really is a rooting killer) I use Jack's Pro for a base nutrient which has some N but it works for me, I also add a couple drops of General Organics Bio Root. PH your solution to 5.5 drop in your cubes and soak over night, I use mine right away but most recommend an over night soak. When the cubes are ready which for me is right away I hold each cube one by one and whip my arm toward the solution bucket 8 times to force out excess nutrient, the roots seem to prefer a moist or damp cube not a wet cube, more of a humid environment rather than wet. Cut clones cut all the long leaves in half as well as cut the tips off the other larger leaves and place in cool water asap push the entire clone under water. Next after I have 10 or 12 clones I will cake the bottom of the stem with cheap No. 2 rooting powder all the way up to a least 1/4'' above the top of the cube place clones in a humidity dome with vents closed set domes off to the side in dim light for 24 hours. After 24 hours place the domes under mild cfl light vents closed, leave the clones for 4 days then lift lids off to let in fresh air, you can start lifting the cubes to check moister levels and likely around day six they will need to be placed one by one in 1/4'' of 160 ppm base solution at about 6.5 ph. At about day 7-8 it's time to start opening vents about 1/8'' per day until they are 100% open then leave the domes ajar 1 day and remove completely the next day. Please do not forget to wash everything in bleach and water including domes prior to starting this process or you could be waisting all this effort.
Good Luck !

bongobongo

bongobongo

Supporter
Spider I've
last summer i took 3 cuts off some F1's. but only one of the three cuts turned out to be a good looking mother plant.

i have no idea if taking cuts from cuts from cuts is an issue longterm, never done that .....
literally I've taken thousands of cuts off cuts off cuts and never had a problem... I know some people don't do it that way but it's never failed... I don't think that's my problem here it's gotta be a environment issue. I think.

bongobongo

bongobongo

Supporter
Ya
This is what I do 100% germ rate. 1) cut the clone and put into water asap, till ready to put into cubes. 2) I let my cubes soak in proper Ph water with a little bit of nitrozyme. 3) I take a cube out and shake all the extra water out of it. Hold with two fingers and move up and down about 5 times till the excess water is removed. 4) take your clone and make the final cut 45degree. I like to use disposable sterile blades I buy at the grow store, dip into the purple clonex gel and put into cube. I like to make the hole a little bigger by poking with an object like a pencil . and I put some gel into the hole also prior to putting the clones in. 5) once the clone is in I rip a little piece of rock wool off and fill the space between the stem and rock wool. I put under a dome tray with and single light on top temps into the low 70's and dont water again till about 6 days later. when they start drying out on there own. think the heating pad might be drying yours out to fast?
I could be drying out to fast I bet... It's getting spring/summer here I gotta compensate for it. Running the heat mat at 78 ain't cutting it when ambient temp is 80 now (absolutely fine for my veg but on conjunction of a heat mat no go.)

bongobongo

bongobongo

Supporter
I
Bongo I think your problem is mainly the heat mat try a round without it I had problems and dumped the heat mat completely. This is what I did, No damp was banned here so I tried spraying the donor mom with mild Nova the day before taking cuttings which seemed to take care of the damp off problem, Nova is a systemic fungicide probably any systemic fungicide you happen to have laying around would do. The following day I mix up a light nutrient mix of about 160 ppm of base nutrient ONLY (don't use any N in your solution it really is a rooting killer) I use Jack's Pro for a base nutrient which has some N but it works for me, I also add a couple drops of General Organics Bio Root. PH your solution to 5.5 drop in your cubes and soak over night, I use mine right away but most recommend an over night soak. When the cubes are ready which for me is right away I hold each cube one by one and whip my arm toward the solution bucket 8 times to force out excess nutrient, the roots seem to prefer a moist or damp cube not a wet cube, more of a humid environment rather than wet. Cut clones cut all the long leaves in half as well as cut the tips off the other larger leaves and place in cool water asap push the entire clone under water. Next after I have 10 or 12 clones I will cake the bottom of the stem with cheap No. 2 rooting powder all the way up to a least 1/4'' above the top of the cube place clones in a humidity dome with vents closed set domes off to the side in dim light for 24 hours. After 24 hours place the domes under mild cfl light vents closed, leave the clones for 4 days then lift lids off to let in fresh air, you can start lifting the cubes to check moister levels and likely around day six they will need to be placed one by one in 1/4'' of 160 ppm base solution at about 6.5 ph. At about day 7-8 it's time to start opening vents about 1/8'' per day until they are 100% open then leave the domes ajar 1 day and remove completely the next day. Please do not forget to wash everything in bleach and water including domes prior to starting this process or you could be waisting all this effort.
Good Luck !

Hey man I'm down with all that but the fact remains I've gotten 100% years in a row using my method... Something is up and the more I think with the help of farmers is they a bit hot, and I really think my gel went to shit. Always noticed that when the purple gel is lighter in color it's a new bottle. I noticed couple days ago it was a bit dark. And actually your method I follow damn near exact. It's just really pissing me off I'm missing that window lately

You guys think I should reintroduce moisture to the ones that are wilting bad? I got one strain that basically if it doesn't take it's a gonner. Sad but a reality.

I'm gonna take everyone advice here, but again... Should I reintroduce the clones on day 10 to a bunch of humidity to get them perking again? I've noticed sometimes it just fucks the leaves and makes them ten times worse if I re-do the begining phase
Of closing

Last edited:
Tnelz

Tnelz

Hey bro. Just an added measure if u wanted to take it. Put some Azos in the water u soak ur clone in and cubes. It really adds to the vigor of ur cutting. I don't do it in the way u described to much any more but when I did I got almost zero wilt in any clone ever. I now cut dip and put straight into Coco and within a week u have a plant. Lol. But give the Azos a try or even caps root pack results will amaze u. Just a tip. Good luck bro.

Canappa

Canappa

Hey bro. Just an added measure if u wanted to take it. Put some Azos in the water u soak ur clone in and cubes. It really adds to the vigor of ur cutting. I don't do it in the way u described to much any more but when I did I got almost zero wilt in any clone ever. I now cut dip and put straight into Coco and within a week u have a plant. Lol. But give the Azos a try or even caps root pack results will amaze u. Just a tip. Good luck bro.

Azos never heard if it but its worth a try I am always learning everyday ob the Farm.
I have to run it that way because I am a hydro guy dont use dirt unless I have to but thanks for the tip I will keep it mind;)

Tnelz

Tnelz

Azos never heard if it but its worth a try I am always learning everyday ob the Farm.
I have to run it that way because I am a hydro guy dont use dirt unless I have to but thanks for the tip I will keep it mind;)
Azos is a bacterial product from xtreme gardening. Nitrogen fixing bacteria. Go to u tube and type cloning with Azos. Pretty good tutorial. I've done it that way and had great success. But also the way u described and just added the Azos and had great results as well. Also if u already have a beneficial bacteria product I'm sure it would work just as well. In any case good luck bro. Your stuff is always on point brother.

bongobongo

bongobongo

Supporter
Here the shitty ones are :(

Pisces

Pisces

First, i'd get rid of the deep pocket insert and go with Grodan's tray insert instead.

----------->>>> grodan gro-smart tray <<<<-------------

It actually sits higher then other inserts so you can fill the bottom of the tray with a little bit of water to keep humidity up without actually soaking the Root Riots

One side fits the plugs perfectly, while the other side is more of a flat for larger cubes.

Also, I'd stop misting your un-rooted clones and instead just mist the inside of the dome.

If you buy the tray insert, and add a little water on the bottom of the tray, you won't ever have mist the dome at all.

I get roots in about a week every time.

100% results!

Oh, and also, those root riots in those cells look extremely dry which may be causing your babies to wilt.

Is your heat mat on an adjustable thermostat or is it plugged in directly to an outlet?
If the latter then I believe the heat mat is cooking your clones.

bongobongo

bongobongo

Supporter
Ya, I ditched the week two heat mat... Ill have to order those trays. BUT you have to remember Ive got no prolems cloning... Just this random 2 week fuck up I've been dealing with. And it seems more and more that the increase in temperature is causin me not to need a heat mat... Ze specially for the 2nd week babies.

On my first week dome mat and tray I set my thermostat to 71... It was at 80 degrees

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

Bingo- I would guess heat and humidity changed. Ambient heat of 80 with a mat could be the problem. Try no mat it's almost time for me to unplug mine . I scorched some last summer too .
If not I have had gel go bad several times in the summer heat or after a year or so it's risky. now I just take more cuts use more gel and go thru it faster.

good luck

bongobongo

bongobongo

Supporter
I really think that's what it is... When you scorched them was it similar? I bought two new root gels as well. Lol I looked like I was starting a buncha clones... Two new domes two new trays the two new plug trays, two new root gels, lol.

I just fixed it and gave them a good drink. The young ones look a lot better.. Normal ya know, still turned my mat down to 71

bongobongo

bongobongo

Supporter
I checked today and they look. A LOT better. They were scorching... FUCK hope I can save these.. What you think guys?

Top Bottom