Cloning trouble!!

• Thread starter Tomkins2010
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tomkins2010

Tomkins2010

Good morning y'all. First post. I've searched many threads talkin of this issue but never really got my answer. Ok I have 3 clones that I have placed in growplugs in an Aerogarden. All cut at 45° dipped in clonex gel and placed directly into the plug. Ph in Aerogarden is 5.8. It's been 8 days and nothing. Not even the lil white dots indications it's attempting to root. Are they getting too much water? All look healthy still. I have solo cups over them for humidity. Should I pull them from here and maybe just put the plugs in soil? I greatly appreciate any and all input or suggestions. I also would appreciate some patience y'all this is my first grow and clone.

Tomkins2010

Tomkins2010

Patience, if they look healthy just wait. It can take a couple weeks.
Ok thank you for that. My first time cloning I did in rockwool cube and withing 7 days I had roots out sides. Maybe that set my expectations too high. I just know that this Aerogarden keeps those plugs soak so I had just began to wonder if they weren't rooting bc they didn't have to go anywhere for water.

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

Ok thank you for that. My first time cloning I did in rockwool cube and withing 7 days I had roots out sides. Maybe that set my expectations too high. I just know that this Aerogarden keeps those plugs soak so I had just began to wonder if they weren't rooting bc they didn't have to go anywhere for water.

Some strains are really quick and aggressive, others are picky and take more time.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Personally that is not a method I would attempt, I think that would keep those plugs far too wet and would more likely lead to damping off. While your pH is "correct" your temperature may be off. Personally if cloning with the rapid rooters I would highly recommend using a traditional seedling/cloning tray with a proper hood and a heat mat. If using an aeroponic cloner you want to have the bottom of your plants bare (like an EZ-Cloner).

Tomkins2010

Tomkins2010

Water temp is about 78°. It's got 2 23w CFL lights in it. Air temp is 75° and 80%. My only other option would be to pull the plugs out and put them in soil.

cloudyhelads

cloudyhelads

I agree with Smoking Gun. You’re mixing two techniques and you are not going to get good results. I would pull the plugs out squeeze them out gently, put them on a plate and rig up some kind of a humidity dome over then. Or put each in a small paper cup and put a soda bottle over them for a dome. Something to keep humidity up around the foliage. Then keep the plug moist and you should get roots.
Or
Pull the clones out of the plugs and put them in a ring made of beoprenenor something that lets the stem dangle bare into your clover spray. Dial in temps and try it that way. (I’ve never had a cloner always done it the 1st way)

Tomkins2010

Tomkins2010

I agree with Smoking Gun. You’re mixing two techniques and you are not going to get good results. I would pull the plugs out squeeze them out gently, put them on a plate and rig up some kind of a humidity dome over then. Or put each in a small paper cup and put a soda bottle over them for a dome. Something to keep humidity up around the foliage. Then keep the plug moist and you should get roots.
Or
Pull the clones out of the plugs and put them in a ring made of beoprenenor something that lets the stem dangle bare into your clover spray. Dial in temps and try it that way. (I’ve never had a cloner always done it the 1st way)
Awesome input man. The Aerogarden actually isn't an aeroponics system. It more or less just has constant flow over it.

cloudyhelads

cloudyhelads

Yea. That’s going to keep those plugs too wet and any root starts will just drown. My clone setup is a Tupperware that is deep enough to take the clones in height. I have a heating mat with a thermometer switch. I put the lid of the tupperware on the heating mat. Then put the clones in the plugs on that and then over with the Tupperware itself as a dome. I have a hole punched in the dome that the thermometer switch’s sensor goes into. So I keep the inside of that dome wet and I keep the plugs moist with a spray bottle. I have the temp at 80 degrees. And I’m usually good to go. Unless I fuck up and let them dry out.

Tomkins2010

Tomkins2010

I've taken all of this in and done 3 different setups. I have one in a damp plug in a paper cup. Another I have in a damp plug in some slightly moist Pro-Mix. The third I did the neoprene and have the bare stem exposed about 1.5 inches about the water where I have an aerator. I'll be sure to keep updated.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Clones do not require anything more than neoprene plug to hold them in place. Stem ~ 2-3" below the plug, root tip barely in contact with ~ 150ppm water + air stone/s, < 80* water temp

it can be super simple, lIf it's just 2-3 clones I use a repurposed coffe container with a large air stone. Once they've rooted, I move them into a simple shallow water bubble-ponics set up, which just more stones and more space between

IMG 4846 3
IMG 4836
cloudyhelads

cloudyhelads

I've taken all of this in and done 3 different setups. I have one in a damp plug in a paper cup. Another I have in a damp plug in some slightly moist Pro-Mix. The third I did the neoprene and have the bare stem exposed about 1.5 inches about the water where I have an aerator. I'll be sure to keep updated.
Make sure you make some domes or something. Humidity at foliage is key.

Tomkins2010

Tomkins2010

Clones do not require anything more than neoprene plug to hold them in place. Stem ~ 2-3" below the plug, root tip barely in contact with ~ 150ppm water + air stone/s, < 80* water temp

it can be super simple, lIf it's just 2-3 clones I use a repurposed coffe container with a large air stone. Once they've rooted, I move them into a simple shallow water bubble-ponics set up, which just more stones and more space between
I think once I've attained roots I'll use the Aerogarden again. I have a seedling that is thriving in it well.

dire wolf

dire wolf

One thing to add to all the great advice you got, yea soaking wet rapid rooter type plugs are not going to work out well, so the pro mix idea is nice, but never soaking or too wet,

And the humidity dome is important to a point, if youve been going 7 days already,
You should see root soon, but im comfortable with 10 or even 14 days sometimes

Each strain and circumstance is different, like really different, some will pop in 4 or 5 days, some take longer,
MY main point is that if you can see your roots poping out, you should / must slowly remove the humidity dome....

Maybe 2 hrs a day increasing, to most of the day, that will signal the plant that you are not being its friend anymore in a comfy zone, and that she must start pumping out the roots on her own.....

Best bet, next time get a cimple clone tray and plastic holders, pop rapid rooters in tray , wait 4/5 days, mist frequently and remove the lid towards the end to encourage plant to enter the real world......

Really easy

Tomkins2010

Tomkins2010

Was
One thing to add to all the great advice you got, yea soaking wet rapid rooter type plugs are not going to work out well, so the pro mix idea is nice, but never soaking or too wet,

And the humidity dome is important to a point, if youve been going 7 days already,
You should see root soon, but im comfortable with 10 or even 14 days sometimes

Each strain and circumstance is different, like really different, some will pop in 4 or 5 days, some take longer,
MY main point is that if you can see your roots poping out, you should / must slowly remove the humidity dome....

Maybe 2 hrs a day increasing, to most of the day, that will signal the plant that you are not being its friend anymore in a comfy zone, and that she must start pumping out the roots on her own.....

Best bet, next time get a cimple clone tray and plastic holders, pop rapid rooters in tray , wait 4/5 days, mist frequently and remove the lid towards the end to encourage plant to enter the real world......

Really easy
Thanks for that. I had a foul feeling the whole time about those plugs being too wet. I'm comfortable now that I've removed the constant flow of water too them I'll have roots soon. I did each if the three a lil dif more or less in an attempt to fine tune what I've got goin on. I appreciate all the help. Greatly...

Top Bottom