CLOSE UP PIC OF Root Aphid and Fungus Gnat larvae.....help..

• Thread starter DowNwithDirT
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

nickcapuano

i mentioned before i am using caps packs in a tea on plants in coco. the plants still suffer but stay greener longer- in the end they suffer the same fate. since i have been using the tea, i have noticed an explosion in fungal gnats and their larvae. i have more fungal gnats than i have ever seen in all my growing days. they are covered on the outside of the airpots and if you look throughout the soil inside the pot, there are tons in there also. i decided to let a few of the plants continue to grow with all the larvae on the outside of the airpots to see what would happen. the pots now have what i thought were aphids all over the outside also. i tried to get some pics to show the quantity of gnat larvae and the size of these bugs compared to the gnat larvae.
2012 07 09 181627
2012 07 09 181639

i am going to try to get a USB microscope in the next couple of days because i could get a great pic of them on the outside of the pot if i had one. in the meantime i am using a camera phone and the close ups you see are taken with the phone shooting through a 30X jewelers loupe so i apologize for the quality of those shots.
2012 07 09 180628
2012 07 09 180817
2012 07 09 181658
2012 07 09 181954

these are the same bugs that covered my roots in DWC buckets where i was using only GH nutes with Lucas formula. plants would look beautiful and have nice white roots then when these bugs appeared on the roots, the plants went downhill along with all the roots. could they be soil mites? can soil mites live in DWC w/only lucas formula? if these are harmless mites i must have some type of environmental problem like offgassing. i am also posting a before pic to show how my roots start out brights white and coming every which way out of the airpots, then when these bugs appear, the roots totally disappear inside and outside the pots and look like the ones above with the baby earthworms all over the outside.
2012 04 20 173840

i have a basil plant with these bugs and it has the same symptoms- looks like a slight nute deficiency, some leaves are chlorotic and overall it is weak and stringy. i also have a cucumber plant that has the same symptoms on its leaves and although it produces flowers its not producing any cucumbers at all.
2012 06 01 182730

F.Dupp

F.Dupp

These microscopic white bugs ARE RA's. I have them, and have had them several times. They are seemingly impossible to get rid of. They destroy plants by week 5 or 6 of flower. They are not Hypoapsis Miles, they are root aphids. Their flyers are considerably larger and black, but do not look like fungus gnats. These bugs are the devil. I have recently contracted them once again and have used Kontos unsuccessfully. I treated them withh OGBiowar today. If I dont see a reduction in their numbers soon, I will begin using spectracide and Merit 75. I am running a aero/nft hybrid system in a perpetual garden which makes them even more difficult to eradicate

F.Dupp

F.Dupp

Capulator, can you tell me if your beneficials are compatible with certain chemical insecticides in a hydro reservoir?

Top Bottom