Cmh Conversion Kit?

• Thread starter bankcee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bankcee

bankcee

is it safe to say that with a 315w CMH conversion kit in a hood like a raptor would up it's light spread to say a 4x4 or even a 5x5. I've read no because of the capacity of the bulb and it not being adequate lumens or watts for the amount of square feet. This is a deal breaker for me and would love better insight perhaps from personal experience?

Thanks in advance fellow farmers

Freshone

Freshone

@DemonTrich can tell you,hes actually used the conversion kit in similar hoods.Personally i wouldnt go over 3x3 unless you have alot of crossover light from other fixtures.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I absolutely KILL! It with cmh. I use big kahuna hoods x7. Bigger the ac hood, closer to canopy you can get w/o any issues. Inuse 4 hoods for an 8x12 room (offset 3' from center).

Your HOOD plays a huge factor in light spread. Not all hoods spread the same.
Small hood = small foot print
larger good = bigger foot print. But you need to keep it closer

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yes but that is with 4 overlapping 315's.

only one in an oversized hood behind glass would not cut it. It barely does 3x3 alone with the open sun system reflector.

I would only veg with one in a 4x4. I ran one in the flower room with my 600 hps all winter. It does not compete alone. But paired up with a 600 it is pretty awesome to me.

It does add all of the benefits claimed. Better flavor. Colors. Potency and resin production is superior to hps alone.

I have been re testing hps alone lately.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Uh
I did mention the hood being the most important factor here. Overlap or not, I run 3x315 in a 5x10 veg room with excellent results as well. And screw SS hoods. Build your own kit and have better results.

You've come at me with every damn rebuttal in 3 separate forums about 315 cmh. If i didnt know what i was talking and preaching, i wouldnt be a +1.20gpw the last 3 runs. I'm sure I'll be at that number this run im.about to harvest in 2 weeks.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Uh
I did mention the hood being the most important factor here. Overlap or not, I run 3x315 in a 5x10 veg room with excellent results as well. And screw SS hoods. Build your own kit and have better results.

You've come at me with every damn rebuttal in 3 separate forums about 315 cmh. If i didnt know what i was talking and preaching, i wouldnt be a +1.20gpw the last 3 runs. I'm sure I'll be at that number this run im.about to harvest in 2 weeks.

Have you flowered with only one?

I average around .9 gpw with my hps. And with plants moving around every day all different stages, sizes and strains from seed. No trellised canopy.

1.2 on a 315 would be way less.

I have continually said they would work well in numbers or as supplemental to hps. But alone fluffy lower buds even on 30" tall plants and 30% less yield than my 600 hps.

Stating my findings and opinion just like you.

bankcee

bankcee

It will do 4x4 but optimal performance is 3x3 for 315
yeah that's on every site with their hood and like DT is saying I'm sure good plays a role. that's why I'm asking about a conversion kit.

Yes but that is with 4 overlapping 315's.

only one in an oversized hood behind glass would not cut it. It barely does 3x3 alone with the open sun system reflector.

I would only veg with one in a 4x4. I ran one in the flower room with my 600 hps all winter. It does not compete alone. But paired up with a 600 it is pretty awesome to me.

It does add all of the benefits claimed. Better flavor. Colors. Potency and resin production is superior to hps alone.

I have been re testing hps alone lately.
Should have mentioned on OP but i don't plan to flower with these for exactly that reason, penetration. that I'm well aware of. and if i ever do I intend on a lot of overlapping spreads.

I'm asking about these being capable enough for a full 4-6 week veg in a 4x4 perhaps 9 plants from clone, with a larger hood like a raptor 6. which I already have.

@DemonTrich what you thinking on this. I believe mine main goal is to save money on lighting. I would normally veg with a 600 and flower with a 1k.

Freshone

Freshone

Yes it does a 4x4 easy in veg,best veg light ever for me.
Penetration in flower is great also but that's from multiple lights,have friends running 4 and 5 over each 4x8 and yielding very very well,I've never seen the results from just one in flower.
Personally I wouldn't run them in air cooled hoods or with glass in front of them due to losses but that's not saying it doesn't work,demons doing well that way,everybody has their own style.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Well I wouldn't have ditched (and still run after 4 harvests) 3x600mh in veg and 3x 600hps in flower for 3x315 in veg and 4x315 in flower if i disnt see the positive resumys drom running all cmh. It costs me 200/mo less to run 7x 315 cmh vs 6x 600mh/hps. I get more yield, better quality, and I shave 1.5 weeks off veg time.

Use an adapter, cmh bulb and ballast and kill it. I've prooven every thing I've ever said about cmh in 2 or 3 detailed dlower diaries and a veg diary. The proof is there for the reading. For those who doubt, stick with mh and hps if it works for you. Ill continue to crank out +1.2gpw every run after run after run.

I have also stated using cmh with a trellis net will benefit better than staking plants. Penetration is about as good as led

bankcee

bankcee

Yes it does a 4x4 easy in veg,best veg light ever for me.
Penetration in flower is great also but that's from multiple lights,have friends running 4 and 5 over each 4x8 and yielding very very well,I've never seen the results from just one in flower.
Personally I wouldn't run them in air cooled hoods or with glass in front of them due to losses but that's not saying it doesn't work,demons doing well that way,everybody has their own style.

So would you suggest just removing the glass cause I believe I could do so!

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I run all ac hoods, 7x total. Much easier to control heat. If running an open hood, make sure you use t12 (Philips denotation) made for open enclosure or vert, and use t9 (again philips) can be used for open or enclosed hoods. Philips made a specific tyoe of bulb for each application.

1x315 should be ok for a 4x4. I would use a large hood (big kahuna also has an adjustable bulb mount), thus allowing to keep the hood closer to the tips w/o bleaching.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I run all ac hoods, 7x total. Much easier to control heat. If running an open hood, make sure you use t12 (Philips denotation) made for open enclosure or vert, and use t9 (again philips) can be used for open or enclosed hoods. Philips made a specific tyoe of bulb for each application.

1x315 should be ok for a 4x4. I would use a large hood (big kahuna also has an adjustable bulb mount), thus allowing to keep the hood closer to the tips w/o bleaching.
Nice letting them know not to use cmh in an exposed hood and giving the proper bulbs to use. . Good looking out!!!

bankcee

bankcee

remember I'm new to this hahaha what exactly are these t9 and t12 things that have to do with the cmh lighting? ill run with the glass that my hood has no problem. so what do I need? other than the conversion kit and a bulb?

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

The Philips t12 style bulb has a double glass. The external glass acts like an enclosure to keep the actual bulb (if it explodes), all the hot shit and glass inside that outer glass tube. T9 bulbs have only 1 glass layer. If that bulb happens to explode, and your running open or vert style, that hit electrical shit lands on your floor, and possibly setting it on fire.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Use existing hood
Choose proper bulb style/type and then K.
Buy cmh bulb adapter for each hood
Buy a cmh ballast
Plug in and rock on
I rock a basic prism ballast. Why would you ever need to dim a 315 bulb??? No frills. It's a perfect, cheap ballast.

Top Bottom