• Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

CNBC 'Marijuana Inc.' lifts the lid on weed business
Thursday, January 22nd 2009, 4:00 AM

MARIJUANA, INC.: INSIDE AMERICA'S POT INDUSTRY
Thursday night at 9, CNBC

Don't worry that you're having a weed-induced flashback, dude, if you think there's something familiar about Trish Regan's CNBC report Thursday night on the American marijuana industry.

Lisa Ling reported the same story about two months ago on the National Geographic channel.

But a certain amount of overlap doesn't diminish Regan's solid feature, which focuses on Mendocino County, Calif, where entrepreneurs grow marijuana the way Washington, D.C., grows cherry trees.

And in most cases, almost as openly.

For better or worse, pot has become a major player in American agriculture, and Regan matter-of-factly notes that what corn is to Iowa, marijuana is to a fertile triangle just outside San Francisco.

Fittingly for a CNBC production, Regan focuses more on the economics than the sociology of marijuana, and the numbers make her point eloquently.

It costs about $400 to grow a pound of marijuana. The grower sells it to a wholesaler for about $2,500. It's then broken down in smaller quantities that can bring in about $6,000.

You see the incentive here.

One of the growers interviewed by Regan values his plants at about $5,000 apiece. He has 20 of them, which makes him a small grower, but still adds up to more than small change.

It also puts him into a gray legal area, Regan points out.

California several years ago started allowing residents to grow small amounts of marijuana for personal medicinal use. But no court has definitively ruled what constitutes a small amount, and then there's one other complication: Growing any marijuana remains illegal under federal law.

Most of Regan's interview subjects, who don't mind showing their faces or wares on national television, seem unbothered by the potential for prosecution.

Nor do her interviews with law enforcement officials suggest much cause for concern. The main response of the marijuana police, local and federal, is frustration that they can do so little about an enterprise that some officials figure may in some way involve up to 60% of county residents.

Without marijuana farming, Regan's sources all agree, the county's economy would implode.

"Marijuana Inc." adds up to a solid special with a well-supported and inescapable conclusion: The commerce is unlikely to change and the law has only a slim chance of doing more than containing the most violence-prone offenders.

When it comes to marijuana, a whole lot of people voted some time ago to just say yes.

[email protected]

Source:

F

FastForward

I was just about to post this one - nice one Cali.

Looks like a must-watch prog for US people...will try to get a torrent of it on Tuesday.

mace

mace

Trish Regan is one hott anchor.

CNBC is on my daily must watch list and there are a few incredibly intelligent and not too mention HOTT women on that channel.

Will be watching this tonight.

H

herby

I have a feeling that with the way the economy is in the US nowadays, that a lot of people are going to see this and say 100k in my backyard from one crop? :clapping:clapping. Time to take up farming. LOL. People can only live on nothing for so long before they turn to something like this that can make them enough money to pay the mortgage and put food on the table. Also very interesting to see so much MJ news on the mainstream media. Hope this leads to good things for all of us.

F

FastForward

[YOUTUBE]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lUQOQyNx-rU[/YOUTUBE]

P

ProGroWannabe

And two hours after Senor Motas post:

Do you favor the decriminalization of marijuana use? * 14549 responses*

*Yes
97%*

*No
2.8%

F

FastForward

Hold national referendums I say.... let the people speak and give democracy a try.

P

ProGroWannabe

The government's 40 yrs or so of brainwashing is slowly breaking down as people are seeing more of the truth. However, the powers that be (DEA, mainly) does NOT want a public poll/referendum since people might begin to see that the DEA's been acting like guerilla-style idiot--lying, cheating, and stealing to feed their ego's.

It WOULD be nice to see one, FF. I'm just not sure the proper publicity would be given to it unless the results backed up the DEA's bullshit lies. They tend to try and stifle proponents who speak the truth.

R

RansacktheElder

Kinda makes you wonder what the camera and soundmen came out of there with, eh? Prohibition didn't work the first time around. You'd think we would have realized that by now. Growing weed is the new moonshine in my neck of the woods. Has been for years of course.

C

Crackerass

Premium Member
Supporter
i just saw this thread im about to watch it their playin it again.

S

SenorMota

I was not too impressed by the show after watching it. I thought Lisa Ling's documentary for National Geographic helped our cause a lot more. I calculated the dispensary that collects $300,000 USD a year for sales tax brings in roughly $280,000 USD a month Gross sales. The sales tax rate in Oakland, CA is 8.75%.

C

Crackerass

Premium Member
Supporter
they also said 500 to 600 thousand in federal taxes. naw i didnt think to much of that show tryin to but us out to be the bad guys. talking about harming the environment i just dont see the nutrients doing that. i see other plants using them and absorbing them and using them... unless they some how got into a creek. if you have 20ft of vegetation on either side of a creek river etc. without buildings around it the natural vegetation around the water will clean it and pull out the bad stuff... that so was basically well look whats happening here if we make it legal its going to be happening everywhere kinda thing...

R

RansacktheElder

they also said 500 to 600 thousand in federal taxes. naw i didnt think to much of that show tryin to but us out to be the bad guys. talking about harming the environment i just dont see the nutrients doing that. i see other plants using them and absorbing them and using them... unless they some how got into a creek. if you have 20ft of vegetation on either side of a creek river etc. without buildings around it the natural vegetation around the water will clean it and pull out the bad stuff... that so was basically well look whats happening here if we make it legal its going to be happening everywhere kinda thing...

I have to say, and I've seen it proposed here on these threads, that the generators they showed are considered highly polluting machines. If you run one on a gov't installation you wouldn't believe what you have to go through to contain the fluids. It's not like your car or at least the EPA doesn't look at it like that. That said.....They showed positives and negatives from both camps and at least it was somewhat balanced. The best bit on our part was the tax revenue that these guys are paying. That will get peoples attention for sure. I also think that the violence they described comes from thieving bastards breaking in to steal the crop not the growers shooting it out among themselves. It could have been better to us I agree, but it wasn't all that bad to be aired nationwide. I did like how they ended it with the dea guy saying that they are losing.....kinda sets the tone for the whole thing don't you think?

R

resinhead

CNBC Marijuana Inc

Shows like this do not help on the front towards legalization. No positive aspects were shown other than monetary rewards for growing. Remember the show ended on the most negative aspects of the war on drugs. If you want to change something, you must stress the positives and eliminate the negatives. An example is our current President who ran a perfect campaign based on positive momemtum with very little negativity allowed to form. Then as was repeated endlessly, you will have change.

R

RansacktheElder

I guess I saw it through the lense of the economy which is everyone's imeadiate concern. If you remember prohibition on alcohol was repealed when FDR came into office in part to satisy the public and also to gain the revenue that was being lost during the great depression...Thats why I really believe that, right now, the revenue stream they mentioned carries more wieght than a bunch of us stoners out here preaching to the choir. Just my opinion though. Sorry for the spelling, I can't spell my way out of a paper bag.

R

rottenjohn

I laughed at the attempt to sway public opinion by walters using the"women and children" defense to their operations. Gotta bring up those two things to help further their cause.

As soon as the herb is legalized in the states corporate america will screw it up for those that make a good living at it by flooding the market with crappy product and at the end of the day it will be genetically modified and start doing more harm than good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom