Co Recreational Growers, Know Your Local Ordinances!

• Thread starter Zolorp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

Zolorp

If you're going to grow for recreational use in Colorado, you need to know your local ordinances. For example, in Boulder, it is illegal to give another person a live plant. That means no cut trading in Boulder city limits. In Fort Collins, HPS lights are illegal to use in a grow. You may only use LED or CFL. Dn't believe me? Here's a link to the Fort Collins ordinance:

http://www.fcgov.com/mmj/pdf/ordinance_number_039_mar-18-2014.pdf

Did you also notice the line about no compressed gases used in this cultivation? Yep, forget using CO2 because you purchase CO2 in bottles of compressed gas. You can dispense your beer at home with bottles of CO2, but be certain you do not let that gas get to your grow.

Nearly every municipality has a ban on odors, so set your scrubbers up and make sure no stank gets outside.

And don't even think about making BHO as almost every county bans that for anybody other than licensed companies.

So before you set yourself up, know the local rules of the road and grow safe.

Last edited:
Z

Zolorp

12 plant maximums are becoming the norm out here for recreational setups. No HID's, that one is hardcore

They can get away with it by claiming public interest and safety due to heat concerns from HIDs being a fire hazard. I expect other municipalities to follw the lead of Ft. Collins because cost is higher to get in with LEDs. Fortunately, LEDs are much better than a few years ago.

But no CO2 when you can still use CO2 to dispense beer at home? That one is close to the edge of what can be claimed for safety in the public interest.

420circuit

420circuit

Thanks for the heads up Zolorp. This is why we all should vote, to get these asshats out of their comfortable government jobs where they spend their days thinking of new ways to soak us with fees and make rules that give them control over us. The people who make these rules are either elected or appointed by those we elect, so if you let someone else vote, this is what you get.

And I would say the CO2 rule is nuts, way past the edge, and entirely unreasonable. An HPS ban shows ignorance, there are already rules, an electrical code, that lists requirements for home wiring. The people getting into trouble with HPS lights are the ones who modify the wiring after overloading the circuits, causing a fire. The whole butane thing drives me crazy, we are in for a lot of new rules about that because of the idiots who are using it foolishly. Responsible use of cannabis includes processing it safely. The people who blow themselves up with butane are making the legalization effort more difficult.:clown:

Z

Zolorp

Thanks for the heads up Zolorp. This is why we all should vote, to get these asshats out of their comfortable government jobs where they spend their days thinking of new ways to soak us with fees and make rules that give them control over us. The people who make these rules are either elected or appointed by those we elect, so if you let someone else vote, this is what you get.

And I would say the CO2 rule is nuts, way past the edge, and entirely unreasonable. An HPS ban shows ignorance, there are already rules, an electrical code, that lists requirements for home wiring. The people getting into trouble with HPS lights are the ones who modify the wiring after overloading the circuits, causing a fire. The whole butane thing drives me crazy, we are in for a lot of new rules about that because of the idiots who are using it foolishly. Responsible use of cannabis includes processing it safely. The people who blow themselves up with butane are making the legalization effort more difficult.:clown:

Funny thing is, HID lights are only prohibited with cannabis growing. There are no ordinances regarding HID lighting for anything else. Grow all the tomatoes you want under HID, you just can't stick a cut of Bubba Kush under the same light.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

If you're going to grow for recreational use in Colorado, you need to know your local ordinances. For example, in Boulder, it is illegal to give another person a live plant. That means no cut trading in Boulder city limits. In Fort Collins, HPS lights are illegal to use in a grow. You may only use LED or CFL. Dn't believe me? Here's a link to the Fort Collins ordinance:

http://www.fcgov.com/mmj/pdf/ordinance_number_039_mar-18-2014.pdf

Did you also notice the line about no compressed gases used in this cultivation? Yep, forget using CO2 because you purchase CO2 in bottles of compressed gas. You can dispense your beer at home with bottles of CO2, but be certain you do not let that gas get to your grow.

Nearly every municipality has a ban on odors, so set your scrubbers up and make sure no stank gets outside.

And don't even think about making BHO as almost every county bans that for anybody other than licensed companies.

So before you set yourself up, know the local rules of the road and grow safe.

If we are all going to start following the rules lets not forget weed and growing is COMPLETELY illegal federally,Would you rather get screwed with by federal authorities or worry about some code inspector or city flunky?Seriously who gives 2 fucks what they say?Keep calm and grow on...

420circuit

420circuit

Good to know what the rules are so you can feel good while breaking them, or at least know when to keep your head down to keep clear of problems. Keeping my garden hidden from the neighbors was probably the single best decision that I have made.:D Fresh charcoal keeps the air fresh and I live a very quiet lifestyle, very few guests, even though there is nothing illegal going on, best to keep "off the map and under the radar".

Z

Zolorp

If we are all going to start following the rules lets not forget weed and growing is COMPLETELY illegal federally,Would you rather get screwed with by federal authorities or worry about some code inspector or city flunky?Seriously who gives 2 fucks what they say?Keep calm and grow on...

The feds are't going to go after some residential grow, but local cops will be itching to bust what somebody thought was a legal grow locally. If the Feds are going after anything in Colorado, it will be the grows supplying the dispensaries.

Good to know what the rules are so you can feel good while breaking them, or at least know when to keep your head down to keep clear of problems. Keeping my garden hidden from the neighbors was probably the single best decision that I have made.:D Fresh charcoal keeps the air fresh and I live a very quiet lifestyle, very few guests, even though there is nothing illegal going on, best to keep "off the map and under the radar".

Even under the radar, your grow can still be found out by the cops. There is no such thing as too careful. In a state where homegrows are legal so long as the rules are followed, you can keep yourself in line and grow for just yourself and maybe some friends without any worry about the local cops busting you for your grow, so long as you know and follow the rules. If you're growing for cash, then it all goes out the window unless you're following the stringent regulations and are licensed. With the limited availability of licenses, I'd say the vast majority of grows for cash in CO are illegal. I'd also say the vast majority of grows for just growing some weed for yourself are illegal too, but only because most people don't know all the rules for their municipality. It's very easy to grow for yourself in Colorado with no worries about being busted, so long as you know and abide by the rules.

420circuit

420circuit

I can sell my green beans at the Farmer's Market... Should be able to sell buds there as well. The cantaloupe growing business needs more intense oversight than cannabis. I suppose living with a bunch of heavy rules is better than having it entirely illegal. I think what we are seeing in CO is a good indicator, a general shift in social attitudes regarding cannabis as not a big deal. It wasn't before, but now it is even lower on the scale of things to notice. The big deal will be when the cops can no longer harass people for smoking in public.:cool:

Z

Zolorp

I can sell my green beans at the Farmer's Market... Should be able to sell buds there as well. The cantaloupe growing business needs more intense oversight than cannabis. I suppose living with a bunch of heavy rules is better than having it entirely illegal. I think what we are seeing in CO is a good indicator, a general shift in social attitudes regarding cannabis as not a big deal. It wasn't before, but now it is even lower on the scale of things to notice. The big deal will be when the cops can no longer harass people for smoking in public.:cool:

Look at how alcohol was regulated after the end of prohibition. The last state that banned home beer brewing was Alabama and they changed their law only LAST YEAR.

Legal cannabis is going to be regulated heavily. At least you can legally home grow in CO. Hopefully, they'll ease up on the rules because I don't remember the last time I was only able to harvest just a single ounce.

420circuit

420circuit

The limit in CO is the number of plants, but think there is a rule regarding weight on hand, someone here will know. The regs are kind of a pain. I routinely count my plants to make sure to be ready in case of an inspection by the state. I never had one and don't know anyone who had one, but feel that they are inevitable because of the history. My cloner is the only place where I could have a problem, but don't think they count as veg plants. Local yokel regs worry me because local governments tend to be populated by the screwballs of the area, who want to get into your business and have some control. Lawyers are expensive.

K

kolah

I think the rules state that anything with roots is considered a plant. Clones are counted.

420circuit

420circuit

I remember voting no on that rule. Might have been my imagination but it still counts, we voted that rule down.

Top Bottom