CO2 Controllers what brand do you think is best???....

• Thread starter devildog1986
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
devildog1986

devildog1986

hey guys,

I had recently posted a thread about running CO2 in a closed room. and got help from a fellow farmer. I have never messed with CO2 but my wife got me one for valentines so she talked me into it lol. the only thing that pissed me off was the price they sold the "CO2 controller" to my wife. they charged her $285 dollars and i put quotes because its not even a controller its a sensor that gives you a appx reading. when i saw it for 140 on amazon i just nearly flipped. went and returned the sensor, and now i am trying to find the best CO2 controller people have dealt with. suggestions, opinions, criticisms and bullshit is all welcome. i simply do not know much about CO2 and controllers and what not. anyone with CO2 experience let me know what controller you would recommend and why. affordability is always a plus, but you truly do get what you pay for. thanks in advance my great farmers. look forward to reading all the responses. Happy Growing.

Heres the link to the sensor they sold my wife:
http://www.amazon.com/C-A-P-CAPPM4-...qid=1393658297&sr=8-6&keywords=co2+controller

Myco

Myco

Spend the money on a quality controller, you're absolutely right that you get what you pay for. That CAP unit your wife picked up is surely crap (although I'm sure she meant well :) haha). I've been using a Sentinel CPPM-4 for a couple years now, works like a champ. If you're going to spend money on a controller at all, fuzzy logic is the way to go. CAP also has a fuzzy logic controller, but my buddy picked one up and I wasn't impressed with it for the price.

Back to Sentinel, if you spend another $100 you can get the CHHC-4 all-in-one that also has temp/humidity, which can be handy of course.

Edit: Not sure what other brands have this feature, but the Sentinel unit also has a photo sensor which is pretty nifty, makes it so that you don't have to rig the controller up to a timer, as the photo sensor (which is also installed in the remote co2 sensor) will detect when lights go out and shut the unit down. Not a major selling point, just sayin'.

devildog1986

devildog1986

well thats the crap they told her to get, you would expect for the hydro store to recommend something better. but yeah its bullcrap of a controller. Im sure she meant well too lol ill check it out bro thanks for the input!

Myco

Myco

Yeah you would expect.

No prob. A couple other units you can check out (although I can't give any direct feedback as I've only used the Sentinel) are the AutoPilot fuzzy logic controller, and Titan "Atlas 8." One good thing about Titan brand is that if you have any sort of issue while the unit is still under warranty, you can take it to any shop that deals with Sunlight Supply.

The AutoPilot unit, I found from a reputable seller for $360, the Titan Atlas 8 for $400, and the Sentinel unit I was referring to for $400-450. One thing that I notice isn't a listed feature on the Titan or AutoPilot is: calibration. Sentinel's unit is very easily calibrated, and although I haven't noticed much swing in mine since I've bought it, it's still good to recalibrate after every cycle. That's not to say they can't be calibrated by the user, but I don't see it mentioned in the features.

Good luck man. Maybe some other folks could chime in on those other brands...

devildog1986

devildog1986

i keep reading about the titans, and they have all sorts of different models. but the problem with looking at videos or reviews, is simply them making the reviews to sell the product they offer in their store. i simply want honest reviews. I'm sure theres a select few that have issues with their units. but i hope many others on here put their input too.

Myco

Myco

I'm pretty sure that the only fuzzy logic controllers made by Titan are the Atlas 1 and the Atlas 8, but I could be wrong about that. On that note, I assumed you were going to be using a co2 tank, which is best used with fuzzy logic. If you're going to be using a propane/nat gas generator then you don't need a fuzzy logic controller, and you won't be limited to such. Which for the record, I believe all fuzzy logic controllers also have the option to run a generator, but not vice versa. Bottom line is, if you're running tanks, it makes most sense, and back for you buck as far as precision control, to use fuzzy logic. Any fuzzy logic unit is going to run you around $400, if that helps.

Yup, the wonderful world of sales... only place you'll find honest reviews are from growers like us. I'm sure some other folks will add their two pennies.

devildog1986

devildog1986

you assumed correct Myco I'm using tanks i got two one for use the other for use when refilling the other. i kept reading on propane/natural gas burners. i bought a gorilla grow tent, and I've been running hotter than id like, so burner was not a choice for me. its crazy that they run about 400/500 dollars for a good one lol. I bought the 5x5 gorilla grow tent and cost the same. as the controller. it'll hopefully be worth it in the future.

Honesty is something that many people have forgotten about my friend. this world is about greed and deception now a days. very few people will give you a honest opinion without making a quick buck. its sad really, but thats what America stands for now. Greed and deception to make money. sorry didn't mean to preach thanks again bud.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I use a cap ppm2a and never had an issue,expensive though and i think cap has been having issues(company was sold/bankrupt or something) lately so best to stick to another brand maybe.Burners usually work best in large rooms,bottles seem to be better everywhere else so your on the right track,good luck bro!

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

I bought a Sentinel CPPM-4 but the sniffer was fucked out of the box. Store didn't have another in stock so I swapped it for an Autopilot. Works great but I found some herms. Due to light proofing before I changed my CO2 controller I never thought to check lightproofing after installing a different one.

Well once I noticed the herms I locked myself in my flower room...waited a good 15 mins or so to gain my night vision and before my eyes adjusted fully I could see a redish/orangeish light flashing like a fuckin stop light coming from inside of the remote sniffer, and I don't mean a faint light...it was obvious.

I called my local store and asked them if they'd heard of this or had anyone else complain and they had not, but had at that time just started selling the Autopilots. The store Mgr. called Hydrofarm, who bought out Autopilot, to be told they were aware of that issue and had told the Autopilot folks to fix that before releasing it....at the same time arguing that it shouldn't make any difference as its just a faint infra-red light that flashes, which is what actually detects the concentration of CO2. THAT made absolutely no sense to me...so I called...and was told the same exact thing. The rep told me my plants don't need total/complete darkness, to which I replied thanks for telling me an even bigger line of BS. They said they would look into it...they aint gonna do shit. I ended up hookin the damn controller up to a fuckin timer so it just cuts off when the lights go out. Ridiculous I had to do that for a $400 piece of equipment to work properly but it is what it is. Anyone out there using the Autopilot CO2 controller and havin herm issues might wanna ck that out....just a heads up. MGG

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
I don't buy sniffers for my rooms. I have an old one that I bring with me to make sure I'm within my target range. I just set my co2 gen on a recycle timer for 2.5mins on and 15 mins off. Works like a champ. Keeps me between 13-1800 ppm.
Timer has a photocell too.
Cheap old sensor 140.00
Recycle timer 80.00

devildog1986

devildog1986

I use a cap ppm2a and never had an issue,expensive though and i think cap has been having issues(company was sold/bankrupt or something) lately so best to stick to another brand maybe.Burners usually work best in large rooms,bottles seem to be better everywhere else so your on the right track,good luck bro!
thanks for the heads up bro i couldn't find much info on them it makes sense why now it sucks when any business goes bankrupt

Scientis150

Scientis150

I have a autopilot environment cntroll, love it for the price, controls my A.C., CO2, dehumidifier, and anything I wanna run at night, like a heater or a humidifier, I payed 230$ on it, only thing I dont like about it is it does tell u the level of co2, it just has a function so u can set it on for how ever long, then off for how ever long, but autopilot does make one that reads your levels for a extra few 100$, but for me it just wasnt worth it!, 3 mins on, 20 mins off, always worked for me....

devildog1986

devildog1986

aut
I have a autopilot environment cntroll, love it for the price, controls my A.C., CO2, dehumidifier, and anything I wanna run at night, like a heater or a humidifier, I payed 230$ on it, only thing I dont like about it is it does tell u the level of co2, it just has a function so u can set it on for how ever long, then off for how ever long, but autopilot does make one that reads your levels for a extra few 100$, but for me it just wasnt worth it!, 3 mins on, 20 mins off, always worked for me....

autopilot is now owned by hydrofarm right? I was checking them out.

Have the Titan and I couldn't be happier

what model titan do you have?

Scientis150

Scientis150

Not sur if owned by them or if they just carry that brand.

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

hey guys,

I had recently posted a thread about running CO2 in a closed room. and got help from a fellow farmer. I have never messed with CO2 but my wife got me one for valentines so she talked me into it lol. the only thing that pissed me off was the price they sold the "CO2 controller" to my wife. they charged her $285 dollars and i put quotes because its not even a controller its a sensor that gives you a appx reading. when i saw it for 140 on amazon i just nearly flipped. went and returned the sensor, and now i am trying to find the best CO2 controller people have dealt with. suggestions, opinions, criticisms and bullshit is all welcome. i simply do not know much about CO2 and controllers and what not. anyone with CO2 experience let me know what controller you would recommend and why. affordability is always a plus, but you truly do get what you pay for. thanks in advance my great farmers. look forward to reading all the responses. Happy Growing.

Heres the link to the sensor they sold my wife:
http://www.amazon.com/C-A-P-CAPPM4-Co2-Detection-Sensor/dp/B00480H93O/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1393658297&sr=8-6&keywords=co2 controller

I have that exact sensor and it works great if you're on a budget.

TiRx

TiRx

It sucks you had such a bad run with the Autopilot. I use the Sentinel GPS (CHHC-4) and couldn't love it more. Like Myco was saying, you get the fuzzy logic with it if you're going to run tanks, which helps stretch out how long the tanks last. It can also be used with a generator. It might be a little overkill for your application as it does a good job controlling intake and exhaust, AC, Dehumidifier, etc. as well, but I haven't had a single issue with it in two years so far.

Top Bottom