CO2 pressure/exaust question + General

• Thread starter Sorn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sorn

Hello!

I've recently done some construction and added CO2 to my environment aswell as got everything sealed up. My main question is in regards to optimum CO2 levels, but I have some other things on my mind aswell!

Currently My room is about 1000 cubic feet give or take (vaulted ceilings makes my space a guestimate.). Im using a 8" can filter with 8" fan attached to a muffler, with the exaust being pushed through my 2 x 1000 hoods for cooling, with a little 6" duct coming off the end of the 2nd light so I can choose where to direct airflow. The air being taken through the can filter and through the hoods is not exausted. The room is sealed, however there appears to be a negative draw of air and im not sure where its coming from. I notice this because the doorway is thick panda plastic with velcro, so I can see a suction being drawn inward.

Im using --> thisthis <-- portable AC for my cooling, with the intake coming from the next room, and the exhaust going out of the house. Im wondering if this is the cause of the negative intake? The only other device thats moving air is the 8" fan on the can fan, but thats being cycled right back in the room. Do you think its possible that the fan is just drawing air at such a rate that regardless of current air volume that it still tries to pull air from around the doorway?

Im worried that with the negative draw the air in the room is being exhausted and that the CO2 is escaping. I currently cannot afford a sniffer or controller to check levels, im using a REG-1 CO2 with a grounded timer that has the 15 minute intervals.

My question is this:

Is it better in a unknown situation to run a constant .5 CO2 flow meter setting for my 12 hour cycle, or to fill the room up @ 5 flow meter setting(with a 15 minute inverval) every 3 hours? Im using --> this calculator to determine optimum levels.

If the .5 setting is better, should I start filling up the room early before the lights click on? I believe the calculator is also stating that it will take 180 minutes to fill up the room with 1500ppm levels of CO2 @ .5, so this leads me to believe I would want my plants to have the full 1500 ppm when they wake up.

Im also curious....since I have my can fan exausting into my hoods, will the can fan suck up the CO2 and exaust it through the hoods? Will the higher temperature rates the CO2 will experience when going through this 10 feet or so of ducting cause the CO2 to expire or become useless?

Some other questions:

My room temps are running between 79-85 during my 12hr lights on, and 74-79 lights off. Is this too hot? I've been told by several people that I trust and that have read up on cannabis and temperatures, and they have stated that while optimum CO2 levels are around 85, that the optimum levels for the buds are actually much lower, around low 70's.

In regards to humidity, my plan is to operate my portable AC in dehumidifier mode for several hours a day during lights off. Will this be sufficient to eliminate overall humidity levels? The documentation on the unit states that it dehumidifies WHILE in AC mode, but then went on to state that if humidity levels are high that the drainpan will fill up and you need to evacuate it manually through the hose. It proceeds to state that in order to do this you need to read the cleaning and storage section....which doesn't mention anything about draining the pan/hose lol The pdf is located --> here ...anyone with experience with this your input would be greatly appreciated. It says the unit automatically turns off when the pan fills so im scared to death its going to shut down on me and the rooms going to get hot and kill everything.

I have had issues with PM (mold) for several years now, but only mild. I used a spray I bought from a hydroponics store that had some sulfur variant in it and it was effective for a few weeks. Those stores charge 3-5 times more for products than what normal retail is, so im looking for a alternative I can buy at a home depot, lowe's or any other local store. I bought 'green cure' powder to mix in a spray bottle but it does not appear to work at all! I've used it in mild to very strong concentrates and I spray away but the mold is still there 2-3 days later. I just want a cheap alternative to a sulfur burner....to which I cannot afford right now =( Also need to know if it is safe to spray these mold treatments during flowering stage. Also, how safe/unsafe is it to use pyrethrin based sprays in flowering...or up until what week into flowering?

Stress-

Im trying to determine the different types of stress that my plants can have in normal environments. So far the main 3 I have difficulty with is Draught, too much heat and nutrient burn.

The draught causes plants to go 'limp' and 'flat'. However, does it also cause (especially new upper leaves) the leaves to hang down in a curvy manner? It almost reminds me of a spider with its legs hanging down limp. I've had this occur to me on several occasions and I cannot determine if its too much energy (sometimes it happens when switching from a lower wattage to a higher wattage light) or not enough water.

When the leaves start to have brown spotting is this always nutrient burn?

Im currently growing a 8 week strain. The friend who gave me the strain says that the hairs are mature by day 45 (and I've seen its so) but that he typically lets them mature for the full cycle. I want to know if there is any extra bud growth that occurs from day 45-60, and if doing environmental 'tricks' like lowering your temperatures and moving your lights up 4-6 inches will help cause the buds to mature faster. I would really like to use the 2 weeks to veg under my 1000's so that I can be on a constant 8 week flip cycle.

Thanks for reading and I really appreciate your input and experience.

C

Chance Last

Hello!

I've recently done some construction and added CO2 to my environment aswell as got everything sealed up. My main question is in regards to optimum CO2 levels, but I have some other things on my mind aswell!

Currently My room is about 1000 cubic feet give or take (vaulted ceilings makes my space a guestimate.). Im using a 8" can filter with 8" fan attached to a muffler, with the exaust being pushed through my 2 x 1000 hoods for cooling, with a little 6" duct coming off the end of the 2nd light so I can choose where to direct airflow. The air being taken through the can filter and through the hoods is not exausted. The room is sealed, however there appears to be a negative draw of air and im not sure where its coming from. I notice this because the doorway is thick panda plastic with velcro, so I can see a suction being drawn inward.

Im using --> thisthis <-- portable AC for my cooling, with the intake coming from the next room, and the exhaust going out of the house. Im wondering if this is the cause of the negative intake? The only other device thats moving air is the 8" fan on the can fan, but thats being cycled right back in the room. Do you think its possible that the fan is just drawing air at such a rate that regardless of current air volume that it still tries to pull air from around the doorway?

Im worried that with the negative draw the air in the room is being exhausted and that the CO2 is escaping. I currently cannot afford a sniffer or controller to check levels, im using a REG-1 CO2 with a grounded timer that has the 15 minute intervals.

My question is this:

Is it better in a unknown situation to run a constant .5 CO2 flow meter setting for my 12 hour cycle, or to fill the room up @ 5 flow meter setting(with a 15 minute inverval) every 3 hours? Im using --> this calculator to determine optimum levels.

If the .5 setting is better, should I start filling up the room early before the lights click on? I believe the calculator is also stating that it will take 180 minutes to fill up the room with 1500ppm levels of CO2 @ .5, so this leads me to believe I would want my plants to have the full 1500 ppm when they wake up.

Im also curious....since I have my can fan exausting into my hoods, will the can fan suck up the CO2 and exaust it through the hoods? Will the higher temperature rates the CO2 will experience when going through this 10 feet or so of ducting cause the CO2 to expire or become useless?

Some other questions:

My room temps are running between 79-85 during my 12hr lights on, and 74-79 lights off. Is this too hot? I've been told by several people that I trust and that have read up on cannabis and temperatures, and they have stated that while optimum CO2 levels are around 85, that the optimum levels for the buds are actually much lower, around low 70's.

In regards to humidity, my plan is to operate my portable AC in dehumidifier mode for several hours a day during lights off. Will this be sufficient to eliminate overall humidity levels? The documentation on the unit states that it dehumidifies WHILE in AC mode, but then went on to state that if humidity levels are high that the drainpan will fill up and you need to evacuate it manually through the hose. It proceeds to state that in order to do this you need to read the cleaning and storage section....which doesn't mention anything about draining the pan/hose lol The pdf is located --> here ...anyone with experience with this your input would be greatly appreciated. It says the unit automatically turns off when the pan fills so im scared to death its going to shut down on me and the rooms going to get hot and kill everything.

I have had issues with PM (mold) for several years now, but only mild. I used a spray I bought from a hydroponics store that had some sulfur variant in it and it was effective for a few weeks. Those stores charge 3-5 times more for products than what normal retail is, so im looking for a alternative I can buy at a home depot, lowe's or any other local store. I bought 'green cure' powder to mix in a spray bottle but it does not appear to work at all! I've used it in mild to very strong concentrates and I spray away but the mold is still there 2-3 days later. I just want a cheap alternative to a sulfur burner....to which I cannot afford right now =( Also need to know if it is safe to spray these mold treatments during flowering stage. Also, how safe/unsafe is it to use pyrethrin based sprays in flowering...or up until what week into flowering?

Stress-

Im trying to determine the different types of stress that my plants can have in normal environments. So far the main 3 I have difficulty with is Draught, too much heat and nutrient burn.

The draught causes plants to go 'limp' and 'flat'. However, does it also cause (especially new upper leaves) the leaves to hang down in a curvy manner? It almost reminds me of a spider with its legs hanging down limp. I've had this occur to me on several occasions and I cannot determine if its too much energy (sometimes it happens when switching from a lower wattage to a higher wattage light) or not enough water.

When the leaves start to have brown spotting is this always nutrient burn?

Im currently growing a 8 week strain. The friend who gave me the strain says that the hairs are mature by day 45 (and I've seen its so) but that he typically lets them mature for the full cycle. I want to know if there is any extra bud growth that occurs from day 45-60, and if doing environmental 'tricks' like lowering your temperatures and moving your lights up 4-6 inches will help cause the buds to mature faster. I would really like to use the 2 weeks to veg under my 1000's so that I can be on a constant 8 week flip cycle.

Thanks for reading and I really appreciate your input and experience.
Wow man! You probably would have better luck breaking that up into different categories to get answers. Thats a lot of questions for one to answer. Definitely too hot though I can tell you that much. Sorry not more of a help.

ken dog

ken dog

Your humidity levels will spike at lights out... I would definitely have clean air flow the entire time, and purge your room of co2 during night time.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I run a fully sealed room with NO intake/exhaust, that's how a fully sealed room is ran. my dual hose ac does indeed suck out some room air, as you noticed your flooring and walls caving in a bit. its going to happen with a dual hose, a lot worse with a single hose. wrap the intake/exhaust ducting with saran wrap then fully tape over every ince of the ducting. this will help a bit and do the same to all your ducting for hood cooling. I found the little cost of lost co2 is well worth the final outcome, or at least hoping so, im 3 weeks from harvest.

I have zero air exchanges in my garden, nor the 5 other well seasoned co2 growers who have been helping me out with this first co2 grow.

ken dog

ken dog

If plants don't need fresh oxygen at night, I'd like to see a link confirming that... but hey, everybody can do what they want as far as I'm concerned.
It's also common knowledge that humidity levels spike at night, without some sort of dehumidifier or air exchanger.... The more the green, the higher the humidity.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

plants utilize co2 lights on and plants expel o2 at night, hence the reason NO need for co2 when lights off.

heres my flower room beginning week 6, with No air exchanges. ill have to get the pic from my phone, be right back. Do my plants look like their dead or about to die from last of an air exchange?

85* and 55% rh in my room

20160125 193132
20160124 194240
ken dog

ken dog

If indeed you are not getting any air exchange, and it sounds like you are because you open your door 10 to 15 times a day, then you would do better with an air exchange.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

o come on, do you honestly believe 10-15 brief openings of a door (if even that much per day during lights ON only) for under a second would have any beneficial to a sealed garden for an air exchange?

not buying it. I might have only 4 yrs of growing mj and only 6 weeks of co2 grow knowledge, but I researched a grow for a yr ebfore starting growing and 6 months on co2 growing before I jumped in. I might not know everything, but I do know some things. and (once again) imo, opening a door briefly isn't going to do squat for air exchanges.

not trying to come off as a dick, and I know theres more than 50 ways to grow pot, but those are my views.

C

Chance Last

I run a fully sealed room with NO intake/exhaust, that's how a fully sealed room is ran. my dual hose ac does indeed suck out some room air, as you noticed your flooring and walls caving in a bit. its going to happen with a dual hose, a lot worse with a single hose. wrap the intake/exhaust ducting with saran wrap then fully tape over every ince of the ducting. this will help a bit and do the same to all your ducting for hood cooling. I found the little cost of lost co2 is well worth the final outcome, or at least hoping so, im 3 weeks from harvest.

I have zero air exchanges in my garden, nor the 5 other well seasoned co2 growers who have been helping me out with this first co2 grow.
Wow! Nice to know! THANKS MAN! Didnt knw I could wrap ducting in saran wrap. That will help me also I'm sure.

C

Chance Last

If indeed you are not getting any air exchange, and it sounds like you are because you open your door 10 to 15 times a day, then you would do better with an air exchange.
What is that called that your using on your walls bro?

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I believe that was meant for me, no?

Reflectix from home depot. 10x 100 roll was about 500.00.

Sorry but the plants themselves will produce enough o2 for them to survive. How do you think all the o2 gets into the air you breathe every second of your life.. trees and plants

reeferman420

reeferman420

yes during the day plants take in co2 and let.out o2 but the opposite is at night they take in o2 and release co2 from what i understand i have a tent. i put it on top.of my central air vent and the fan blows 24 hours a day for air exchange (also controls temp nicely

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Your dual hose does indeed suck some room air out. So your not running a sealed room. Surprised you chose to run a dual hose after six months of research I run splits in my sealed rooms. As you notice your floors and walls caving in a bit . I think your exchanging air more than you realize. Your plants don't look like they are dying but they look pretty sad to me lot of droopy yellow leaves in there.
yes during the day plants take in co2 and let.out o2 but the opposite is at night they take in o2 and release co2 from what i understand i have a tent. i put it on top.of my central air vent and the fan blows 24 hours a day for air exchange (also controls temp nicely
Correct
All I'm saying is, if you don't have periodic nightly air exchanges, the air gets depleted of Oxygen and a build up of co2 can occur.
Correct. I am running true sealed rooms at the moment and hitting over 2 pounds per 1k and over 3 pounds per light in the gavita rooms . My co2 levels are through the roof when lights are off , my burners won't come on for almost an hour after lights on. I am going to add an exhaust for a couple exchanges because even though I'm hitting great numbers and getting large dense buds I'm not seeing the overall plant health I was seeing for many years when I was running vented rooms. My rooms are sealed very well when I was doing the shakedown and testing equipment before moving plants in they would hold co2 levels for almost 24 hrs before the levels would drop enough fir the controllers to call for more co2.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

All I'm saying is, if you don't have periodic nightly air exchanges, the air gets depleted of Oxygen and a build up of co2 can occur.

Then what do you make of this? My controller reads -14xxxppm about 3 hrs before lights on?

Pic was taken a week ago, and showed it to countless sealed co2 growers, all said normal.
20160112 185328 003

Top Bottom