Cob Lighting For A 4x8 Flowering Tent

• Thread starter h4ppyf4rmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sixstring

sixstring

so I priced out the VERO29SE having 18 on 14" centers and it's about $1100 not including the aluminum framework. it might be enough as I don't really need to fill the entire room. I'm just worried it won't be enough and I have to fork out more money to get close.
you can def get the aluminum channel for all that for about 100 bucks.look for wholesale aluminum in your area.not home depot.if you can find one go in and look through the seconds bins,you might get lucky

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

you can def get the aluminum channel for all that for about 100 bucks.look for wholesale aluminum in your area.not home depot.if you can find one go in and look through the seconds bins,you might get lucky
Home depot might be my only option. I was looking at 80/20 inc for extruded aluminum framing. but they are pretty expensive, but using that stuff would make things a bit flexible. I could move stuff around using t-nuts to hole the lights.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

I'm at 12" from.tops to glass on all my lights.
That's pretty good... you're running the 315s which may be another good reason to go with four 315s versus two 630s. I think I'm still going with COBs, my tech geek alter ego keeps screaming at me... };-)

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I use huge ass hoods ( big kahuna). That's the only reason I keep a tight canopy distance. A small hood you wouldn't be able to do that as it will keep the light spread too focused in a smaller area. They test with a small hood, reason why they list a 3'sq light space for a 315 with a 24" height.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

so I guess the next questions if I'm going with COBs is: how thick the aluminum angle should be? The thickness comes in 1/8 and 1/16. I'm thinking 1/16 would be fine as I'm mounting the driver outside the tent and not on the frame.

this is 34" long by 20" wide. The aluminum angle is 1" and the middle bars are just flat stock.

Upload 2017 5 16 10 36 35

sixstring

sixstring

Home depot might be my only option. I was looking at 80/20 inc for extruded aluminum framing. but they are pretty expensive, but using that stuff would make things a bit flexible. I could move stuff around using t-nuts to hole the lights.
rapidleds coming out with a new bar style system very soon.they have posting pics of it on ig and it looks cool,moveable heatsinks along the rails

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

rapidleds coming out with a new bar style system very soon.they have posting pics of it on ig and it looks cool,moveable heatsinks along the rails

yeah, that's what I was looking at with the extruded aluminum from 80/20, movable COBs for reconfiguration.

sixstring

sixstring

yeah, that's what I was looking at with the extruded aluminum from 80/20, movable COBs for reconfiguration.
yeah the 80/20 is nice but holy hell they want an arm n a leg for everything.just the fittings alone killed it for me.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

yeah the 80/20 is nice but holy hell they want an arm n a leg for everything.just the fittings alone killed it for me.
yeah, I agree, really expensive... I went on instagram and saw their frame, looks pretty good. Now I'm interested in the price and is their frame a single line only or are they more configurable. I posted the single line only question on IG.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

home depot has 96" x 1" alu-angle 1/8 thick for $25, my frames will take 2 pieces of angle so yeah, $50 * 3 frames = $150

sixstring

sixstring

home depot has 96" x 1" alu-angle 1/8 thick for $25, my frames will take 2 pieces of angle so yeah, $50 * 3 frames = $150
yeah thats why i said look for a steel/aluminum warehouse.i have several ALRO wholesale shops around me so im lucky.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

Just got preliminary pricing on the 1 x 4 framing kit from Rapid
"As for pricing the individual 4' sections consist of two rails, and brackets for four heatsinks. It is priced at $40, with another $10 per driver bracket, and $10 per hanging kit.

For the full 4' x 4' kit, consisting of three rows of rails and brackets for four heatsinks, is roughly $200. Same cost for the driver brackets and hanging kits. You can fit up to 5 heatsinks per row making your total 15 Cobs for 16sq.ft"

They are more expensive then DIY alu angle but they will look a hell of a lot better than what I could do and the COB locations would be configurable.

I might just order 6 of them and call it done };-)

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

The rapid 4x4 units are simply three 1x4 units with an added outside frame to create the 4x4 unit. The 1x4 units are separately configurable/movable within the 4x4 just like the COBs are configurable within the 1x4.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

so Arrow has the HLG-320H-C1400B drivers for $92 and the VERO29SE COBs for $21, if you order from them, you get a Raspberry PI 3 which is what I was going to use for my lighting controller. It has wifi capability so I was going to create a web server for creating lighting patterns ... independently controlling far-red/photo red/full spectrum lights ramping on and off...

sixstring

sixstring

The rapid 4x4 units are simply three 1x4 units with an added outside frame to create the 4x4 unit. The 1x4 units are separately configurable/movable within the 4x4 just like the COBs are configurable within the 1x4.
idk if i would want it all tied together.having 3 or 4 seperate bars of cobs gives you more options for dif sized plants.and i wouldnt worry about the hanger kits,its simple to use cable or chain from the hardware store to hang the lights.im just tossing out options to save money bro.i know having it all tidy is nice.make sure those vero for 21 bucks are the newer gen 7,that sounds like the older vero pricing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom