COCO GROW SHOW SSSDH/CD IBL/Grape Kush/Sour Diesel

• Thread starter swisscheese
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

swisscheese

Time to start a new grow log still rocking the coco gnat buckets aka coco hempies. Am rocking 2g buckets with the bottom hydroton about 1.5" up and then Canna Coco mixed with 2g of perlite per bag of coco with a layer of perlite on top of the coco to stop gnats LOL. Canna nutes.

Currently in the works Super Silver Sour Diesel Haze, Grape Kush, Chemdog IBL, and soon to be Sour Diesel possibly in another room.

Cd ibl scrog
Cdiblscrog2
Coco grow show sssdhcd iblgrape kushsour diesel 3
Coco grow show sssdhcd iblgrape kushsour diesel 4
Coco grow show sssdhcd iblgrape kushsour diesel 5
Coco grow show sssdhcd iblgrape kushsour diesel 6
Coco grow show sssdhcd iblgrape kushsour diesel 7
Coco grow show sssdhcd iblgrape kushsour diesel 8
TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Swiss,
looking like a solid start. Is the 1.5" on hydroton sit in an inch or so of runoff at the bottom? Looks like a pretty heavy duty trellis that you made there. What did you use on that string?

-TF

S

swisscheese

Swiss,
looking like a solid start. Is the 1.5" on hydroton sit in an inch or so of runoff at the bottom? Looks like a pretty heavy duty trellis that you made there. What did you use on that string?

-TF

The trellis is made of the string at depot that you use to lay out for concrete work. I'm not sure I'm sold on the scrog yet but figured it's worth a shot to see what I can do! And yes the hydroton sits in the runoff basically from the coco above. Last time I used 5g buckets and the plants were honestly just too huge to handle.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

I assume that you're still in veg? What kind of strengths are you running on the Canna nutes in those things? Plants too huge to handle? That sounds horrible:D

I do have one myself right now that grew taller than the light would go. I'd say it's about 5 foot. It's a pain in the ass, and it is always too hot. Somehow it is still budding enormous. Go figure.

-TF

S

swisscheese

I'm about a week into flower so they're still stretching. I don't plan to fill up the scrog completely right away until I see if I like it or not. The plants in the black tubs are pics of clones I randomly threw up that are still in veg. Last time I was sensitive on the nutes but I've been running around 900 to 1100ppm depending on how much Magical/Silica I add besides the A and B which I've been running at 10ml/gal. Had some major issues at the start of veg suprisingly but they just wanted more food and are loving it now.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

I never have scrogged myself. I never have tried that one yet. I previously would use more of a cola corral. Within a foot from the top, and bigger squares. They flop somewhat, just not too far. I think that is a bit of a different animal.

As far as the feed, I know that it goes against the traditional go lighter nute mentality, but It would seem that their formula is meant to be run a but stronger for best results. I made the same exact same mistake, assumung they just want to sell more nutes/burn your plants, so I ran the formula a little lighter. My plants told me they were deficient like an Ethiopian. Now I am running 10ml A&B in flower right now. 7ml in veg. They are much happier. I was just curious as to your findings, and how it pertains to your hempys. Do you flush the units on a regular schedule?

-TF

sticky icky

sticky icky

Lookin killer swiss got some of raws gens ehh deff good people 4sho check out horti trellis it comes in a clear bag at the hydro stores shit works great gives ya some bigger squares and stays nice and tight to hold up them monster budz your gonna have lol...real nice gro homie!

S

sfzoo

Cool setup, i'm curious about those hempys.

Considering running it for my next run, but not sure about a couple things. First, the gnats..does the perlite layer on top help at all with curbing the gnat population?
Second, if I intend on rotating the pots throughout the bloom cycle, will the bottom 1.5" of the bucket, with the res, cause any problems when turning the pot?

As far as the feed, I know that it goes against the traditional go lighter nute mentality, but It would seem that their formula is meant to be run a but stronger for best results. I made the same exact same mistake, assumung they just want to sell more nutes/burn your plants, so I ran the formula a little lighter. My plants told me they were deficient like an Ethiopian. Now I am running 10ml A&B in flower right now. 7ml in veg. They are much happier. I was just curious as to your findings, and how it pertains to your hempys. Do you flush the units on a regular schedule?

-TF

Agreed, I run pretty close to 10ml/gal depending on additives.

Lookin killer swiss got some of raws gens ehh deff good people 4sho check out horti trellis it comes in a clear bag at the hydro stores shit works great gives ya some bigger squares and stays nice and tight to hold up them monster budz your gonna have lol...real nice gro homie!

them horti trellises are fuckin expensive...but yea, i use em and they work well.

S

swisscheese

I never have scrogged myself. I never have tried that one yet. I previously would use more of a cola corral. Within a foot from the top, and bigger squares. They flop somewhat, just not too far. I think that is a bit of a different animal.

-TF

I have only flushed with water once since I started vegging. I am undecided if I'm going to feed feed flush or just keep feeding per canna's instructions until the end and throw an occasional flush in there until I get a few more weeks in. I totally agree on 7ml in veg and 10ml in flower I have had the best results with those numbers exactly.

Cola Corral LOL I may have to build me one after this run cowboy just to try it out. Half the fun is tearing my room apart and building something a little different every run.

S

swisscheese

Yeah had to bang out some new flavors from my homies sticky. I saw that trellis net but wanted to make a scrog table so I had something to do. I mean any excuse to bust out the power tools bro! Never ran any of these strains yet but they're looking pretty good I hope they bring the yield.

S

swisscheese

Cool setup, i'm curious about those hempys.

Considering running it for my next run, but not sure about a couple things. First, the gnats..does the perlite layer on top help at all with curbing the gnat population?
Second, if I intend on rotating the pots throughout the bloom cycle, will the bottom 1.5" of the bucket, with the res, cause any problems when turning the pot?

Agreed, I run pretty close to 10ml/gal depending on additives.

them horti trellises are fuckin expensive...but yea, i use em and they work well.

SF I built a room last time inspired by your and fractals vert grows thanks for stopping by! The perlite LMAO what a lie that is, it does nothing to curb the fungus gnats except provide them a nice place to hide.

Rotating the pots is fine I just wouldn't do it right after I watered or you'll spill more water then needed. Rotate the plants and then water is what I do.

This run was going to be a vert run but the girls got too big too fast so I had to rock the big kahunas out instead. I am seriously considering making another room for my diesels and grape kush in the grow bags and rocking out the vertical racks with coco hempies that was my original plan.

S

Snow Crash

I can talk about Canna Coco nutes in flowering all day long.

My experience with the stuff is that despite Canna's claim that you don't want to go messing with the nutrient ratio when you flip to flowering, I think it is better to go ahead and back off on the N and increase the PK right from the beginning. In addition, I will decrease Calcium and increase Magnesium to change up that ratio from something like a 4:1 ratio in Veg to more like a 2:1 ratio in flowering. Days 12 to 20 after the 12/12 flip I always see an increased need for magnesium, perhaps due to the Potassium increase in the nutrients, or the calcium buffer being fulfilled in the media.

Their Cannazym product is crucial to start running, and not for the enzymes, but for the 0-2-1 PK increase. If not Cannazym, then something else with that PK balance is going to be extremely useful as you proceed into flowering. Canna recognized this problem about 2 years ago and reformulated their Cannazym to be a better flowering supplement. I suggest to, at the very least, mimic the very smart people at Canna and follow suit with the PK increase right from the start of 12/12 (as directed on their nutrient calculator). Instead of Cannazym I've been using Botanicare Hydroplex. It is the same price per bottle, but it's at a 0-10-6 concentration and contains no enzymes. Instead it's got some b-vitamins, and all that extra snake juice they like to toss in Bloom enhancers like Canna Boost Accelerator, AN Big Bud, and Atami Bloombastic. For the price though, all I was really looking for was a P dominant supplement to replace Cannazym. Definitely did a better job for me.

Other elements the system lacks are Iron and Silicon. Sulfur is pretty easy to get enough of, but the chelated Iron and the Silicon are going to require additional supplementation. This almost demands the need for an EC meter so you can dial back all the other nutrients and ensure you're not pushing too many ppm. I have used Botanicare Cal-Mag Plus and Organicare Huvega as the extra Iron sources and find the Cal-Mag Plus to be a better fit with coco. Many other people recognize this as well.

Cal-Mag Plus adds 0.1ec for every 1ml per gallon. Like clockwork. It makes dosing your system super easy. The only problem I have with Cal-Mag Plus has been the extra nitrate it supplies skewing the final ratio to be just a touch N dominant. Over time this will build up and eventually you'll see slower flower onset and some eagle claw (especially if you're running a <5.8pH into flowering). Thus, when using the extra 2-0-0 Cal-Mag Plus you also need to offset this with another balanced PK dominant system. There are a lot of inexpensive products that work but the best I've found is probably Liquid KoolBloom at 0-10-10. By adding just 1ml of LKB for every 5ml of Cal-Mag Plus I get a nice balanced increase of EC. The LKB carries a little extra Magnesium, which doesn't hurt, and the $18 liter bottle or whatever will last you more than 500 gallons of full strength flowering solution no problem. It's like cents per reservoir change, and it can make a huge difference in the final product when dosing Cal-Mag Plus for the Iron.

In later flowering I'm running like 1ml to 2ml of the Cal-Mag Plus, at most, so I don't even use much of the LKB because I'm generally pushing a bunch of the Hydroplex anyway.

For Silicon, it's all about Potassium Silicate. Actually, I use it as a pH up as well, though I don't necessarily need a pH up... RhinoSkin from AN is a little pricey for the concentration. I prefer Dyna-Gro Pro-Tekt as a supplement here. You're probably in that same boat, most people are.

At the end of the day you can run the A+B with the Cannazym, the PK 13/14, and the Boost Accelerator, but you'll still need that extra Iron, and the silicon won't hurt.

When you add the extra Nitrogen, and the extra Potassium, you then need to compensate with extra PK, and even more Magnesium to compensate for all of the other cations that element now has to compete with. This ultimately drives up the amount of sulfur in the system, further complicating the chemistry.

And this is why I am getting the hell out of Canna.

In Veg, when you can push an assload of Nitrogen, and run their system at full strength, GOD DAMN does this system produce some of the largest, healthiest and finest vegetative plants a grower has seen so long as it is getting the iron it needs to keep new growth green.

In flower though, it becomes a real mind game. You might get lucky, Cannabis is a very versatile plant and can grow fine in many different nutrient ratio balances after all. For me though I just can't stomach having to add like 6 other things to the system just to get it balanced right for Cannabis. It might grow good Kale, and tomatoes, but for the best quality medicine you're going to need some extras.

Since I find myself constantly going back to Botanicare for supplements I figured maybe I should just run their CNS 17 Coco/Soil Grow, Boom, and Ripe system. By using a predictive ppm calculator that I built on relational equations in a spreadsheet I mimicked the element ratios suggested for flowering with CNS 17 Bloom, but by using Canna Coco and a variety of other supplements. I then used CNS 17 Ripe and axed the Canna during the last 4 weeks of flowering.

In addition, I keep my EC under 2.0 the entire grow. My Big Bud could have handled a lot more, but the Nirvana Ice (I'm familiar with Nirvana strains needing lower ppm) was dialed in perfectly. To help keep buildup a non-issue I would mix up say, 10 gallons of solution at full strength. Then water and collect about 30% as runoff from each 2 gallon planter. This would leave me with 5 gallons of solution. Then I'd add 5 more gallons back to it of clean water. This would keep the NPK ratio pretty balanced, add that extra 30-40ppm in my tap water of whatever it contains, and give me basically a 1/2 strength solution. Then I'd use that the following day.

The results of this experiment were fantastic, lower ppm, lots of runoff, watching the EC in and out to ensure no buildup, and alternating 1/2 strength feedings. Best I'd ever seen.

So, I think if you're looking to not only save a little time but also a little money then the CNS 17 Coco/Soil lineup from Botanicare has proven itself to me to be a better system for growing cannabis in coco. Nothing against Canna, especially for Veg, but the CNS 17 Ripe did me right for sure.

Good looking plants, Scrogging can be REALLY rewarding. Google: "400w 450g harvest" and find your way to the scrog done by a grower who goes by NBG. He used a canna substra DTW system with a rockwool/hydroton combo. Fantastic stuff from scrog.

I think what it all comes down to is the extra time it takes to fill out a single plant. It might be faster to have higher plant counts and quicker harvests (like a 56 day flower chamber rather than 40 days to fill the scrog and another 60 to harvest). I think Scrogging is a good method for medical growers looking to stay inside of a reasonable plant count with a good deal of experience. In many ways you're putting a lot of your "eggs in one basket" when you grow really large scrogged out plants. As long as you are familiar with the strain and you know what it wants then I think this method is really going to kick ass for you over the long haul.

Vertical SOG is where the real efficiency is though, watt for watt, day for day, dollar for dollar. Sounds like you're hip to that too.

Just one hip cat after another around here!

S

sfzoo

Snow Crash, boy that was a helluva post. Well articulated yet still incredibly complex and tough to digest.

How have you identified that Iron and Silicon are lacking such that you need to supplement them?

When adjusting the nutrient profile to compensate for such a deficiency how is it that you determine the proper dosage? say, you're adding calmag+ at a rate of 1ml/g..how then do you decide how much of a PK supp to add? is all trial and error?

When you add the extra Nitrogen, and the extra Potassium, you then need to compensate with extra PK, and even more Magnesium to compensate for all of the other cations that element now has to compete with. This ultimately drives up the amount of sulfur in the system, further complicating the chemistry.

you sound like a scientists, but for the most part i feel like i'm missing the 'why'.
I'm certainly getting the 'what' to do, but i'm more concerned as to how you came to these conclusions as well as why it works.

Uhhg..while reading your whole post i had a ton of questions flying in and out of my head...stupid Alien Bubba won't let me remember.

Guess its time for more bubba!!:passingjoint:

J

JAHGYDI

thnx snow crash. way to break it down for someone whos a lil slow like me.

S

swisscheese

I am going to try cns17 it seems like a reasonably priced system but I'm not giving up on Canna yet either.

S

Snow Crash

I have spent the last 6 months or so in hard study when it comes to nutrients. I've even gone as far to build a calculator that I can input nutrient strengths and volumes to predict the final EC and the ("promised) ppm levels. This recent enlightenment has made a huge impact in my garden. The kind of conceptualization of how the elements interact and are taken in by the roots in coco has been an eye opener to say the least. I've only been growing in coco for about 2 and a half years now but I think that's about the learning curve on most systems.

Over time I'll get better at explaining these concepts as I understand them better. I find that "teaching" something has a way of forcing me to be creative with my metaphors which only helps me understand it better. Hopefully I can help clarify a little on how I've come to these conclusions.

The iron thing is pretty easy to identify during weeks 4, 5, and 6 of vegetative growth. Maybe even earlier. You'll see week, soft, yellow new growth all over the plant. Cannabis need surprisingly low levels of iron, like 3ppm to 7ppm, but it needs some... and Canna actually advertises their product to be used with tap water. Some tap water has what you'll need, some won't. It's a crap shoot and best to just run RO filtered and buffer it to your desires. Since Canna is anticipating up to .25ec of contaminants in the water you can safely add that much Cal-Mag Plus without really upsetting the system much. Beyond .25ec, or 2.5ml per gallon, and I find I need to start dialing things in with the PK or I get eagle claw and a kind of deep dark green that indicates a phosphorus shortage.

I got turned on to Cal-Mag Plus the day I went with Coco. Probably the only good advice I have gotten from a hydro store employee. They had a tent going with pepper and a few kinds of chard. They were all on Canna Coco, but half were getting the Cal-Mag Plus. The half that didn't get it had this stunted yellow new growth. I have tried cutting the stuff out of my own garden with no success. I'm sure I'll find an amendment here some day to offset this requirement .

Simply put, Canna Coco A+B has no iron. You gotta get it from somewhere.

As far as the silicon thing goes, I don't know if Coco A+B lacks silicon, but the extra that I add definitely has increased stem strength, plant vigor, and recovery time after topping and super cropping. 4ml/gallon is about all I will use, but I try to keep it closer to 2ml to 3ml per gallon.

Something I forgot to mention earlier is that I've been working with Fulvic Acid as a pH down replacement with a lot of success recently. It holds the pH pretty stable and is actually some strong stuff. They say you can use up to 5ml per gallon, but I don't usually need more Fulvic than Pro-Tekt. The two might be working together to help maintain pH stability over a day, but I find if I mix up some nutrients and balance them "Monday" night then when I come back "Tuesday" morning I don't have to do any re-balancing.

Prior to this I'd been using first Phosphoric Acid (GH pH down) with disastrous results, and more recently Nitric Acid (Technaflora pH down) with better stability but still needing upwards of 2ml (an extra 20ppm or so) of pH down solution.

Using the hydro-friendly organic solution of Fulvic Acid not only solved the pH balancing problem against the Silicon supplement, but it has had an unintended side-effect of helping the plants process their own starches, resulting in some smelly plants.

With respect to deficiencies I try to not get them :) lol... Seriously though, the reactive game doesn't work in coco. By the time you discern honest magnesium deficiency versus salinity problems (over feeding) it is often too late to do anything about it.

When I say, "I try not to get them" what I mean is that I try to anticipate deficiencies before they happen, and I try to allow for natural deficiency rather than deficiencies cause by the over-abundance of another element in the media.

Nitrogen:
Plants in coco seem to have no trouble finding the Nitrogen they need, and, as problems go... it is quick to appear, easy to diagnose, and quick to resolve.

Phosphorus:
Phosphorus binds with Calcium for mobility in the plant (it's an "immobile" element). As a result, with regards specifically to coco, the Calcium buffer is a critical part of this uptake process. The coco is looking to get just the right balance of calcium in it (more than other medias) and when it doesn't get enough "extra" to feed the plant you'll get phosphorus problems. P problems also arise when you are letting the media get too dry as the elements precipitate and come out of solution making them completely unavailable. Healthy roots need a good deal of phosphorus and I find that in coco, it is better to run a more balanced Nitrogen to Phosphorus ratio even earlier on to assist in strong roots and balanced uptake of both crucial elements. This becomes even more important as the calcium buffer is fulfilled.

Potassium:
The claim on coco is that as it decomposes potassium becomes available to the plant. That's why your standard coco formula has less potassium than a soil or hydro formula. That's what they tell us anyway. My personal experience is that in flowering, with Cannabis, a good deal of potassium isn't always such a bad thing. To prevent over reaction, and over dosing K+, I increase the levels slowly as soon as flowering begins as a rule so that I never find myself short of this element which is absolutely vital to the synthesis of energy and the transportation of other elements to the plant cells.

Calcium:
Every knows about Calcium deficiency in coco, and it's actually pretty rare. The only time I ever see a Ca deficiency while using a coco nutrient is when the plant hits about the 8th node. These little spots pop up, like chicken pox, almost over-night. Easy to resolve though.

Magnesium:
Of all the elements this one gives me the most heartache and gets the most attention from myself. Required in very low levels, but impossible to do without. As flowering progresses, and other cations build up, Magnesium deficiency is about as common as they come in coco. As far as I am concerned, my entire system revolves around the time of growth, and the amount of Magnesium I am using. I will foliar spray with a combination of a MAG/Carb (like Bud Candy, FloraNectar, or Sweet), a B-vitamin organic extract (like Liquid Karma or Boost Accelerator), and an extra 25ppm (hanna) of Epsom salt. I start with this foliar once a week, beginning on the 10th day of 12/12. On the 20th day I up it to twice a week and/or as needed. Of all the things to combat deficiency, and to keep the leaves healthy and growing this has worked best.

Flushing coco has never worked well for me. Diminished yields are the problem, the potency is still there so long as the genetics are good but I find if the plants don't hit week 3 of flowering full steam then they miss out on critical mass building time. With that information in my mind I approach the stretch period of flowering very gingerly in coco. I will decrease my solution strength from Vegetative growth, and usually work with a lot of runoff at times (2 gallons in, 1 gallon out) just to be totally certain the media is clean and balanced. Exactly where I want it to be, rather than full of residual left over from Veg.

The transitional stage for me is more about taking a balanced approach with the nutrients, like a 2-2-3 with 2% calcium and 0.5% magnesium. I will use this ratio to calculate out ppm levels that match it at the EC I want using my calculator.

As an example for you weeks 1 and 2 of 12/12 lighting for my last grow I used:
4ml A+B
4ml Cal-Mag Plus
10ml Liquid Karma
3ml Pro-Tekt
1ml Hydroplex
25ppm of Big Bud

This works out to a final EC around 1.45 and a profile that's as best as I can predict is:
76 N
78 P2O5
83 K20
79 Ca
30 Mg

Then I can just add a little more water to the solution if to bring the EC down closer to around 1.2, then pH balance. By keeping my solution balanced and my runoff levels decent for those first few weeks I can ensure my plant will enter the budding stage just ready to explode. Here's some pictures. Day 1 of 12/12 and Day 15 of 12/12, just to prove I'm not blowing smoke here.

IMG 6018
IMG 6214
S

Snow Crash

I am going to try cns17 it seems like a reasonably priced system but I'm not giving up on Canna yet either.

Good call. It is definitely reasonable. The ratios are very well balanced.

At like $20 a gallon online, even at 25ml per gallon you are getting a pretty good value. Works out to about $0.14 per gallon in nutrients. Not many other one-part coco systems can compete with that price. Especially when you consider that you will run less than 25ml/gallon (probably) saving even more of your hard earned dough.

I just found out about the stuff maybe 6 months ago. Can't wait to really dial it in with my Sensi Star. I'll stay in touch and we can compare our findings. Glad to have someone willing to do a little experimenting.

I still have a few bottles of Canna Coco A+B too. My Mom's love it!

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
looking good.

Swiss, likin the set up. As of now i run vert trees but i really want to try my hand a screening> I also run hempies with coco and i dont have any problems with gnats, what r u using to fight that battle? (thought i had gnats, turned out to b root aphidsWAY WORSE)Also u metioned moving the hempies and spilling runnof? have u considered running 1/2 inch tubing to ur buckets (with gromets n stuff) attach 3-5 buckets to another 3 or 5 gal bucket and collect runnoff that way. super felxable setup, can move pots as needed(as long as u run slack in the 1/2 tubes) and the cost is super cheap, like 6$ per 3-4 hempies.

neways, im tuned in fir the show.

Confu...

S

swisscheese

Good call. It is definitely reasonable. The ratios are very well balanced.

At like $20 a gallon online, even at 25ml per gallon you are getting a pretty good value. Works out to about $0.14 per gallon in nutrients. Not many other one-part coco systems can compete with that price. Especially when you consider that you will run less than 25ml/gallon (probably) saving even more of your hard earned dough.

I just found out about the stuff maybe 6 months ago. Can't wait to really dial it in with my Sensi Star. I'll stay in touch and we can compare our findings. Glad to have someone willing to do a little experimenting.

I still have a few bottles of Canna Coco A+B too. My Mom's love it!

Always willing to try new things and definitely stay in touch your posts seem to be very knowledgeable and helpful. Thanks.

S

swisscheese

Swiss, likin the set up. As of now i run vert trees but i really want to try my hand a screening> I also run hempies with coco and i dont have any problems with gnats, what r u using to fight that battle? (thought i had gnats, turned out to b root aphidsWAY WORSE)Also u metioned moving the hempies and spilling runnof? have u considered running 1/2 inch tubing to ur buckets (with gromets n stuff) attach 3-5 buckets to another 3 or 5 gal bucket and collect runnoff that way. super felxable setup, can move pots as needed(as long as u run slack in the 1/2 tubes) and the cost is super cheap, like 6$ per 3-4 hempies.

neways, im tuned in fir the show.

Confu...

I ran vert last run and grew some trees but now I'm messing with the screen and I have thought about bucket in bucket but I'm going to install a subfloor below my room and put in some drains. The gnats I was ignoring until they got real bad recently and I used some dunks and then spectracide not a full dunk but sprayed the tops and bottoms of the pots and the floor inbetween the pots a couple times. They seem to be in check or a little better the only other thing that may have helped with them is the pond-zyme I used at a very high dose. My runoff right now is shopvac special long story short.

Top Bottom