Coco Newbie: Struggling with building roots

• Thread starter bunkerking
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bunkerking

bunkerking

Sounds good.

I am also using SLF100 and other microbes to help breakdown stuff as well.
So that shouldnt be a huge issue, but will return to watering when the pots are light.

Enforcer

Enforcer

Perfect. I think you will see improvements that way. And like I said, if you want to try multiple daily feeds next run, just find a quality salt based nutrient that you trust and is easy to use. I prefer Remo but I’ve see great results with Canna, GH, veg+bloom, and the Jacks 321 recipe. Those last two are dry nutrient powders that you mix in water yourself. Super fun if you’re the mad scientist type😁.

bunkerking

bunkerking

Perfect. I think you will see improvements that way. And like I said, if you want to try multiple daily feeds next run, just find a quality salt based nutrient that you trust and is easy to use. I prefer Remo but I’ve see great results with Canna, GH, veg+bloom, and the Jacks 321 recipe. Those last two are dry nutrient powders that you mix in water yourself. Super fun if you’re the mad scientist type😁.

Sounds good.

Having a premixed solution on air stones would be nice.

Currently trying to get the plants adjusted to the brighter light.
I may have to kill the mk ultra plant sadly.

Its going to get too big by the time it recovers. I have a rooted clone of it.
But was kind of planning on growing c99 only. Better yielding.
The Purple punch isnt that great of a strain but man its a great little plant. it just grows.

bunkerking

bunkerking

Yah i think you were right @Enforcer .

Made me sad to pull the mk but, now we can for sure say. Daily feeding was gunking up the bottom half of the coco.
Lame, Live and learn though.

Atleast i dont have to mix nutes daily, and save money. While still growing organically.

Enforcer

Enforcer

Yah i think you were right @Enforcer .

Made me sad to pull the mk but, now we can for sure say. Daily feeding was gunking up the bottom half of the coco.
Lame, Live and learn though.

Atleast i dont have to mix nutes daily, and save money. While still growing organically.

Yeah, that does suck (fallen soldier 😢). But it’s the learning from our mistakes that make us better. I’m glad you’re looking on the bright side and not to discourage. If you want to go the organic route, I would suggest looking into living soil. Very popular with organic growers.

bunkerking

bunkerking

For sure.

They are responding well to the lights though.

Shit happens, you kill plants, and hopefully you learn.

I mostly switched from soil to coco to just have more control over the inputs.

Id Really like to see how it performs with the lights + not watering everyday.
I see other people here run nftg and coco. I really like this line.

Lets give it a few more weeks, see how things are. Go from there.

RDIToaCZ
Ph 007

Ph 007

For sure.

They are responding well to the lights though.

Shit happens, you kill plants, and hopefully you learn.

I mostly switched from soil to coco to just have more control over the inputs.
I went from soil to coco a few months ago as well pal, and had loads of problems now I nearly nailed it,

My last problems was over watering as we been talking about, fingerst crossed I want do it again. Over watering has been the easiest problem iv hit in coco.

I have found when their growing bigger about half a litre to a litre max a day they seem to take with some run off and no problems,,

I'm now sticking tonhalf a litre top been Everyday so at worst the should just get little to dry , better than to wet I finding , even know people say you cant over eater coco

Ph 007

Ph 007

You got sake.light reflect as me ass well lol, cool tube with that shitty reflector

bunkerking

bunkerking

Yah lol. I used to grow autos with this setup.

Right now they are getting roughly 9,000-11,000lux to the top of the canopy.
They barely had 2,000-3,000 before. oops. (been adjusting it down over the last few days)

For some reason i just assumed they would stretch up to get the right amount of light.

I know with the HPS its brighter. Was seeing more like 25,000-30,000lux out of that.
But yah the foot print is pretty small & output really.

Next time i see a good sale on a 600w. I may snag it. I was concerned about heat before.
But if its adjustable, its only 2-3 months of super hot weather in oregon.
Can just plan on vegging during those months.

Ph 007

Ph 007

Yah lol. I used to grow autos with this setup.

Right now they are getting roughly 9,000-11,000lux to the top of the canopy.
They barely had 2,000-3,000 before. oops. (been adjusting it down over the last few days)

For some reason i just assumed they would stretch up to get the right amount of light.

I know with the HPS its brighter. Was seeing more like 25,000-30,000lux out of that.
But yah the foot print is pretty small & output really.

Next time i see a good sale on a 600w. I may snag it. I was concerned about heat before.
But if its adjustable, its only 2-3 months of super hot weather in oregon.
Can just plan on vegging during those months.
That alp I every used was auto pot great ain't they easy , I'm hoping yo get the coco running on auto pot soon as if masterd it,, 600watt hps i have

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Hey man. Got your message and thank you for the kind words. I did see your thread but didn’t chime in as it looked like you were getting good advice for your situation. But since you asked....

IMHO, it looks like you’re trying to merge two opposing grow styles. Organics and multi feed coco/perlite. I know it sounds like a great idea. But those two do not play well together. I’ll try to explain why.

Multiple daily feed coco/perlite drain to waste is a great growing style for salt based nutrients. It is like hydro, with the benefit of a buffer (coco) that will retain some moisture if, say...a pump fails and you don’t notice for a few days. Your plants won’t die in hours like they would in a style like DWC. The idea is to feed small amounts of low ppm nutrient solution throughout the day. Just enough to get a little runoff. This is called cyclical watering. The plants will come to expect fresh nutrient solution every few hours and growth explodes. You don’t want the coco to ever dry out as that would cause salt buildup, raising the ppm of the medium. Yes, the roots will grow through moist coco just fine. It’s my preferred style and I like the control I get. If I see an issue with the plant, I can just adjust the nutrient solution in the reservoir and hit them again to reset the medium. However, automatic watering of some sort is almost a requirement. It’s not to difficult or expensive to build your own drip system. But it is very difficult to maintain any consistent watering without one.

With organic nutrients this will not work. Organic nutrients are broken down by microbes in the medium and delivered to the roots. Something like a compost tea is already somewhat broken down by the microbial action and more readily available to the plant. But even that takes time to completely be consumed. So what happens over time is the coco/perlite become saturated with decaying organic matter and moisture. A perfectly anaerobic environment for root rot and insect infestation. Roots die due to the lack of oxygen and the plants start to look like crap.

Your particular situation can be fixed one of two ways. You can continue using NFTG nutes and only feed every second or third watering when the pots gets light. Or you can switch to a salt based nutrient, flush the hell out of the coco, and begin daily feeds. Personally, if I were in your shoes, I would lean more towards option one. Then switch it up next grow if that’s what you want.

As for the light. 96w of T5 light is not going to cut the mustard. It may just get by in veg but not in flower. I had a 435w 4 foot 8 bulb T5 parked 5” off the canopy and harvested “ok” bud. I don’t think 96w will do much. You didn’t mention how big of a space you’re in, but I do think you need a bigger light. You don’t have to get the best, but the light is definitely not something I would suggest cheap’n out on.

I do have a grow log here but it’s a little dated at this point.

Here’s an OG Kush bud from my last harvest. This plant was watered 6x a day by mid flower.
I think this is a great reply and explains the different reasons for the methods we use, instead of just denouncing someone's methodology. Newer growers can easily get the soil/soilless/Coco/Perlite/Promix confused and mixed up... then when you add pulse, constant, or scheduled feeding and watering with different compounds, it can make it overwhelming. It explains why Coco shouldn't be allowed to dry totally as well as why Living Soil needs the compounds it needs and not the regular fertilizer.
FWIW, I agree that the plant needs a lot more light. It looks good but is still sort of smallish. The only thing that fixes that is plenty of light Perhaps an adjustable ballast with a HPS/MH capability would fit the bill well. That way, you only need one ballast with 600w bulbs which can be run at lower levels if desired. Keep up the good work!

Enforcer

Enforcer

I think this is a great reply and explains the different reasons for the methods we use, instead of just denouncing someone's methodology. Newer growers can easily get the soil/soilless/Coco/Perlite/Promix confused and mixed up... then when you add pulse, constant, or scheduled feeding and watering with different compounds, it can make it overwhelming. It explains why Coco shouldn't be allowed to dry totally as well as why Living Soil needs the compounds it needs and not the regular fertilizer.
FWIW, I agree that the plant needs a lot more light. It looks good but is still sort of smallish. The only thing that fixes that is plenty of light Perhaps an adjustable ballast with a HPS/MH capability would fit the bill well. That way, you only need one ballast with 600w bulbs which can be run at lower levels if desired. Keep up the good work!
Thanks man, I really appreciate that. I just like seeing growers succeed.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Thanks man, I really appreciate that. I just like seeing growers succeed.
lot of newer growers are overwhelmed by all of the seemingly contradictory info that you hear.. hell, even I still get confused after listening to them. There are more ways to grow these things than there are strains and hybrids. I try to give uncomplicated answers for simple problems, but some guys just simply refuse to consider someone else's methods. I have seen enough to know what works well with me, but also to realize that there is no single growing method that works best for everyone. I grow like Germans make beer... just a couple of ingredients and that is all that is needed for my operation. Some folks prefer a double distilled still with a thumper barrel. The desired end result is a decent brew/product for both methods.
I would suggest to learn the basics first then proceed to something that you decide that you want to give a try. Once you get the basics down, you can make as many modifications to the process as you wish. Learn the basics first, though. A lot of growers like to "promote" their results... who wouldn't be proud of a big batch of buds? Keep in mind that most of these guys have been doing it for a while and know their process, while a newer grower might not know the whys and hows for their operation.
I'm glad to hear a good and informative post, though. It provided good information without bashing anyone.

bunkerking

bunkerking

Some semi good news.
C99 looks like its starting to stretch out abit and praying.
Its on day 2 without watering.w Pots still semi heavy.
Likely another 2 more days to go.

I swapped the PP plant from the 2 gal back to a 1 gal.
Roots were decent enough for what they had to deal with.

Same with the clone. Back into a small pot to fill up with roots.

The hydroton drainage is for sure helping.
The reduce watering should help.
and the lighting issue oi.
Not sure how i spaced on that one.

Not much else to do or say for a week or so.
Fingers crossed.

Pray
bunkerking

bunkerking

Happy to hear that. Nice work 👍

Thanks!

Yep still seeing decently quick growth!
Even the clone is starting to take off.

Now i kind of want to upgrade to a 600w lol.
Ive grown 6-7oz off this light before. (autos)
Alot of fluff but still... like 6 QT jars of dried bud.

If i could get one more good harvest out of it.
(the ballast) Then i think i could splurge with the money saved from not having to hit up the dispensaries.

Im thinking 2 gal pots, 2 plants. Should get something decent.

Rushoe

Rushoe

Bro dont over think it coco is easy supper easy and great results. Sounds like you are new . Take it easy man and use some one part nutes like maxybloom or veg plus bloom with tap water that's it maybe some ph up or down to leave u around 5.8 or 6.0 I dont even ph anymore been doing it so long with the same nutes always works out . This site here taught me how to grown a long time ago your in the right place this is a pretty cool site. Stop watering everyday . A good rule of thumb is the whight test pick up the container and if it feels not heavy water it good luck bro

Top Bottom