Coco Oil Salve- Fusion Under Vac

• Thread starter MI.Woody
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MI.Woody

MI.Woody

When making coconut oil salve, has anyone ever done the 12 hr steep @ 130 deg in a vac purge? Im gunna try it with my 2 gal setup from the orange guys.

MI.Woody

MI.Woody

No, did that at 240 deg for 60 min... use a temp gun to check, oven set at 225. An oven bag for 8# fits the 2 gal aluminum vessel perfect. nothing to purge from the coconut, but wonder if pulling vac might have other benefits. Looked pretty funny with the bag rising up and collapsing the top and the bag o goodies sitting on the bottom. The offset temp on the 10" silicon heat pad is set to max, and it reads right at 130.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Pulling a vac in a chamber only allows residual solvents and terpenes to escape that are trapped in the "extract". Imo, nothing more can be achieved by vac purging.

It will also lower the boiling point of it as well.

MI.Woody

MI.Woody

Thanks, wonder if that would increase the infusion. loss of terps a negative. I didn't leave the vac run like you do with solvent.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I dont see how pulling a vac would increase anything but pull anything else that may be left in the extract. It may start to pull the oils from the base of your salve.

MI.Woody

MI.Woody

fair enough, stopping teh vac. Hate to mess it up, it's the best for my joint pain. when i'm out of joints I eat it..... he he he

MI.Woody

MI.Woody

fair enough, stopping teh vac. Hate to mess it up, it's the best for my joint pain. when i'm out of joints I eat it..... he he he
So it did do something annoying, the vac sucked the oil/material into a tight ball which allowed a stem to put a pin hole in the oven bag, attested by a very small amount to clean off the pot, could have been much worse.
Thanks again for the advice- Woody

Top Bottom