Coco Path: 600w Hempy 4x4

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
incogneato

incogneato

Oh very interesting. No worries incogneato I'm always open to learning new things and I'm not too informed on how long seeds can last. I kept these at room temperature in a dark dry drawer. Can't wait for things to start rolling!
You've seen my level of experience lol. I'm on my first grow, shit I killed 10* seeds before they even broke ground :mad: I know they can keep for quite a few years if kept in a cold dark place but I only know that because its what I've read on forums. I'm along for the ride so I can learn something bro. Thanks for having me

justiceman

justiceman

hahaha I hear you man we've all messed up before. That's how we get better. I won't discount anybody's experience even if it's their first grow. That's what I love about the forums. We can all learn from each other sucess and mistakes. Glad to have you, and I'm glad to be back on the farm!

justiceman

justiceman

A little update on the roots organics coco palms. I thought it had a decent feel to it but then I noticed it wasn't drying out as fast as I remember coco drying out. I chalked it up to "ah it's been a few years you don't know exactly how fast coco dries right now." The other day I noticed it came with springtails after doing a slurry test(1:1 R/O +Coco) right out if the bag to test its EC(.6-.7 aka 300-350ppm) Hahaha. They aren't much of a problem but I would have liked the coco to be pest free.
View attachment 651993

So today I decided to take out my block of botanicare coco and hydrate a 1/4 of it to conpare the two in color and fiber to pith ratio. The results were astonishing. Never going to buy Roots Organics Coco Palms again.

Roots Organics Coco Palms on the left. Botanicare Cocogrow 5kg bale on the right.
View attachment 651994
I much perfer the higher fiber ratio and coarser pith of the botanicare covi. It also has a spongier feel. I wonder why the roots coco is so much finer and darker. I'm thinking it's had more time to decompose. It smells earthy as well.

Moral of the story here for me is:
Buy compressed coco. Guaranteed to be free of pests and the decomposition process has been halted.

I just did a runoff test to compare the Roots Organics Coco Palms and a Botanicare 5kg Cocogro bale using 2 shot glass solo cups and R/O water. Here are the PPM readings I got:

(A note I forgot to mention is apparently the roots is buffered with uncalcined limestone)

Roots Organics Coco Palms
View attachment 652002
I don't know if the uncalcined lime had a role to play in the above number but I don't like it especially since I'm using hydro nutrients.

Botanicare 5kg Cocogro bale
View attachment 652003
I like that number :)

I thought I would add this to the journal. This time it was a run off test instead of a slurry.

Definitely chucking the coco palms and going with the botanicare bale instead. I was wondering why some of my seedlings started looking funky. Found the answer.... we'll see how they go. I'm also popping some TGA deep purple and throwing those in the botanicare coco for insurance.

IMG 6806
IMG 6814
IMG 6813

Last edited:
justiceman

justiceman

3 of them seem to be heavily affected by the high EC content of the Roots Organics coco. 4 of them are growing although slowly and in odd formations. I flushed them as best I could and started seeing some new growth so we'll see what happens. Not really the best time for a flush but I had no choice.
IMG 6822

The single deadhead og seems to somehow be fighting through this though. Interesting.
IMG 6826

Like I said I germed some Deep Purple from TGA as a back up and will be using the botanicare coco(low EC/better drainage) instead of this Roots stuff. I'll be getting rid of the Roots Organics Coco Palms for sure.

incogneato

incogneato

3 of them seem to be heavily affected by the high EC content of the Roots Organics coco. 4 of them are growing although slowly and in odd formations. I flushed them as best I could and started seeing some new growth so we'll see what happens. Not really the best time for a flush but I had no choice.
View attachment 652058
The single deadhead og seems to somehow be fighting through this though. Interesting.
View attachment 652062
Like I said I germed some Deep Purple from TGA as a back up and will be using the botanicare coco(low EC/better drainage) instead of this Roots stuff. I'll be getting rid of the Roots Organics Coco Palms for sure.
View attachment 652058
View attachment 652062
Hopefully that flush helps you out. I tried something with my current round of beans I dropped. The nutes they get every other feed are from the same bucket as the late veg plants I have going....over 1000 ppm and no ill effects. I am really liking these nftg nutes. I got lucky and the coco/sphagnum mix I have was cleaned well and hasn't caused any problems. Just need to give them some calcium(Demeter's destiny) and magnesium (Epsom salt) every now and again and all is well. Glad to see some TGA in the mix. Should be an awesome shiw

justiceman

justiceman

Right on! Ya the TGA's popped in about 24hrs so that's faster than all the others I popped for this round. Good sign. I've done a similar experiment as you and got similar results, but this current experiment was not one I had not planned on hahahaha. The effects of nearly 1000ppm of excess sodium and who knows what else will be noted for sure.

In my experience with coco it's pretty rare to actually find poorly rinsed coco like I got buuuuut I guess nothing can be 100%

Here's another side by side of Botanicare VS Roots Organics coco. Such a vast difference it's still blowing my mind.

(Botanicare on the left/Roots on the right)
IMG 6831

justiceman

justiceman

Ok so I got tired of staring at that inferior coco and decided to do a full transplant. I carefully washed off the high EC Roots Organics coco and put all the girls into the Botanicare coco. I knew the bad stuff didn't hold enough air. It was way too finely ground. When I took the plants out of the medium I could easily tell the roots grew towards one side where the most oxygen was(where the medium parts from the container).

On the upside ALL the roots were healthy white so I have that going for me. I'm also happy that 4/5 of the deep purple seeds(back up plan) popped in 24 hrs. The other one just cracked and will probably be ready tonight or tomorrow morning.

Here are some pics.

DeadHead OG
IMG 6838

IMG 6839

Putre Afghani
IMG 6834

Family shot in the new coco!
IMG 6842

Last edited:
incogneato

incogneato

Ok so I got tired of staring at that inferior coco and decided to do a full transplant. I carefully washed off the high EC Roots Organics coco and put all the girls into the Botanicare coco. I knew the bad stuff didn't hold enough air. It was way too finely ground. When I took the plants out of the medium I could easily tell the roots grew towards one side where the most oxygen was(where the medium parts from the container).

On the upside ALL the roots were healthy white so I have that going for me. I'm also happy that 4/5 of the deep purple seeds(back up plan) popped in 24 hrs. The other one just cracked and will probably be ready tonight or tomorrow morning.

Here are some pics.

DeadHead OG
View attachment 652247
View attachment 652249

Putre Afghani
View attachment 652248

Family shot in the new coco!
View attachment 652250
Ballsy move but fortune favors the bold! Good call to get them right as soon as possible though. Better than fighting it til you up pot them

justiceman

justiceman

Hell ya I won't lie I knew it was definitely a high risk move lol, but they are doing well right now so I think my gamble paid off! I definitely didn't feel like having them battle through to the next transplant. Who knows how much extra time it would take.

justiceman

justiceman

So the Deep Purples are doing well. This is what I like to see!
IMG 6870
IMG 6871

The Pure Afghans and the lone DeadHead OG started some increased growth after the full transplant into low EC coco AND it looks like normal non mutated growth as well. I think they like the low sodium hahaha. I might have to kick up the food for that DeadeadHead OG a bit since it's not as green as the others.
IMG 6872

Out of the 3 that were stunted the most, one Pure Afghan is showing new growth. Interesting. The other 2 are hanging on the brink hahaha. It will be fun to see what happens.
IMG 6874

I'm overall very happy with the decision to ditch the Roots Organics Coco Palms. The Deep Purples are growing much faster in this Botanicare brick coco and everytging else seems to like it as well.

Last edited:
incogneato

incogneato

So the Deep Purples are doing well. This is what I like to see!
View attachment 652657 View attachment 652658

The Pure Afghans and the lone DeadHead OG started some increased growth after the full transplant into low EC coco AND it looks like normal non mutated growth as well. I think they like the low sodium hahaha. I might have to kick up the food for that DeadeadHead OG a bit since it's not as green as the others.
View attachment 652659

Out of the 3 that were stunted the most, one Pure Afghan is showing new growth. Interesting. The other 2 are hanging on the brink hahaha. It will be fun to see what happens.
View attachment 652660

I'm overall very happy with the decision to ditch the Roots Organics Coco Palms. The Deep Purples are growing much faster in this Botanicare brick coco and everytging else seems to like it as well.
They look hardy, I don't think you made the wrong move bruh! Way to trust your instincts

justiceman

justiceman

Thats awesome! The only TGA strain I've grown before was jilly bean. Loved the intense orange pine smell and flavor. So good! I need to get some more of those beans.

Can't wait to see what these Deep Purples bring. They are feminized unlike the others.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Thats awesome! The only TGA strain I've grown before was jilly bean. Loved the intense orange pine smell and flavor. So good! I need to get some more of those beans.

Can't wait to see what these Deep Purples bring. They are feminized unlike the others.

Jilly bean is most definitely on my list. They were out last time I ordered. But wouldn't ya know it restocked right after :speechless:

Top Bottom