coco/perlite 50/50 mix question

• Thread starter Noworries
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

Noworries

I am using the fine coco, and transplanted some seedlings into 1L pots using 100% coco. I thoroughly watered, which was a mistake. They stayed too wet for about a week and showed signs of over watering.

anyhow- I just transplanted some bigger plants into 3.5 gallon 50/50 perlite/coco and barely watered them (about a gallon)

these plants are about 2 ft tall, I have about 2 inches of hydroton in the bottom for drainage. Should i be very cautious about thorough waterings or should I be okay to water every day or two with the 50/50 mix?

dankworth

dankworth

No, you should not worry too much about overwatering. That is the compelling advantage of having so much perlite. More drainage, more oxygenation of the root zone, more irrigations/day(people say 4-12 irrigations/day will get you literally twice the growth of handwatering larger amounts once daily).
Keep in mind coco performs optimally at a certain saturation rate. You can watch when you handwater as they have a big spurt of growth that begins to slow when the coco gets to a certain level of dryness. So you will have to veg longer if you are handwatering.
That being said, you want to chill out on them for just a bit with the watering until they are thriving after this transplant. They will start to look like they are about to kick ass, then ride that momentum by increasing their inputs.

I'm watering two times a day for 15min and have no problems I'm doing a top feed:mmm

N

Noworries

gotcha, thanks for the info.

I normally run drippers, but wigged myself out after signs of overwatering on my seedlings.

datDANK

datDANK

the more you worry and fuck with the plants the more likely it will get fucked

this is from my experience

the ones that get my attention the most get damaged while the non favorites always looks better

plumsmooth

plumsmooth

I just made up a 50/50 Mix and then realized it was validated by finding specific product made with this ratio I must be a genius. I was trying to make a mix that would be perfect for a secondary incubation after receiving a couple of clones from the Clone Conservatory that only had just a little roots out of small cubes.

My mix came out perfect I thought; and with my overload bennies inoculant style I got such explosive root growth I discovered after One week: I accidentally knocked over my MAC1 -- and could have easily snapped it in half -- and when it popped out of my 5/6 inch planter the roots had gone from minimal to like almost 3-1/2 inches root ball!

Anyway I was a little slow transplanting the MAC1 (Tropicana Cherry I transplanted at 2 weeks secondary incubation) -- it went 3 weeks in a 5-6 inch round pot -- and didn't realize I had been developing deeper red/purple stems -- and the stem is stiff and less flexible -- leading me to believe I have some P or K lockout.

The weird thing is that I do not have one speck of sign of Deficiency on any leaf anywhere. And judging by the dark color of the leaves I am feeding the correct strength. But I have seen this before and I refuse to believe at this level it is genetic. Also, Dark Green can be P deficiency? No?

I have even been using Sensi Coco AN nutes. I watered once per day at around 500 PPM for 3 weeks. However I am starting to think that the PH, despite the AN PH perfect thing, was too low around 5.6-5.7.

The other thought is that since it is 50/50 Perlite Coco, that Coco specific nutes is Too much Calcium maybe locking up a bit of needed P or K or both?

IMG 0996
Top Bottom