coco & pgrs

• Thread starter carBon.14
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
carBon.14

carBon.14

does anyone know if different types of coco contain certain pgrs from the coconut palms? because I get different types of growth (stretching) from the same strain, under that same conditions, but with different brands of coco.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That's a good question and I don't know the answer to that. However, it would make sense that the coir would have some PGRs in it, wouldn't it?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Wait...manufacturers add PGRs to coir??
Not added PGRs, naturally occurring is what I'm taking the OP to be asking about, and knowing what we do about how plants locate secondary plant metabolites and growth regulators in different parts of the plant (leaf, trunk, root, flower, fruit), then it would make some sense that we might expect to find something of that sort in the husk of the fruit of the coconut drupe.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
How would one go about testing this..?
I think one would need a laboratory that's set up for testing for things like PGRs. But... here's the thing I'm thinking--if PGRs in coir were a problem, then all those horticulturalists who use it religiously would already be aware, especially those growing potted flowers for sale. That's what I think, though, not what I know.

Gandalfalfa

Gandalfalfa

I think one would need a laboratory that's set up for testing for things like PGRs. But... here's the thing I'm thinking--if PGRs in coir were a problem, then all those horticulturalists who use it religiously would already be aware, especially those growing potted flowers for sale. That's what I think, though, not what I know.

Large, commercial nurseries are unlikely to use several different sources of coco. The most economical option would be a regular bulk supply from a single distributor/manufacturer. If that is the case, then even if there are PGRs naturally present in coco, those horticulturalists may not notice as all the plants are being grown under the same conditions. A hypothesis to be sure, not a statement of factual truth.

carBon.14

carBon.14

Not added PGRs, naturally occurring is what I'm taking the OP to be asking about, and knowing what we do about how plants locate secondary plant metabolites and growth regulators in different parts of the plant (leaf, trunk, root, flower, fruit), then it would make some sense that we might expect to find something of that sort in the husk of the fruit of the coconut drupe.

exactly. not added pgrs, but naturally occurring ones.

i think there must be, it's the only factor that differs between grows..

Top Bottom