Coco question

• Thread starter growsince79
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fatconeskills

fatconeskills

Fungal gnats do not like this stuff and it does not affect the flower quality. I usually use a 3 part method if found.
#1. Yellow Sticky traps
#2. mematodes
#3. BTI
do gnats bite by any chance ?

growsince79

growsince79

the more the better, This round I have 30-70 coco perlite.
I don't ever get gnats in cocoloco because I water every to 3-4 days. If I were to water everyday the gnats would be impossible. The gnat larve would destroy the roots and the plant would die. My question should have said do gnats like pure coco?

fatconeskills

fatconeskills

I don't ever get gnats in cocoloco because I water every to 3-4 days. If I were to water everyday the gnats would be impossible. The gnat larve would destroy the roots and the plant would die. My question should have said do gnats like pure coco?
Gnats just love moist humid areas fu%#ers ! I am getting good and catching them with my hands. though

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I keep hearing about people making that mistake. Treating it like coco will not work and there's not enough sticky traps on earth to get rid of the gnats. The only reason I am even thinking about switching to pure coco is the cocoloco has a bit more N then I like. Gnats love the organics. Maybe pure coco is not so bad? IDK

FWIW my buddy who grows in pure canna coco never gets bugs. I am about 2/3 of my way through a cycle running coco, also no bugs... knock on wood. We both irrigate up to 4 times a day.

If you want to avoid fungus gnats and root aphids, keep the grow room clean, never wear outside shoes in your grow, Avoid soil mixes containing peat, and filter the air coming into your room if its ventilated. Hanging yellow and blue sticky traps is also good for monitoring purposes.
Microbes and enzymes will also help take care of any dead root hairs removing attractive food sources for the gnats too.

Another thing, frequency of irrigation isnt everything. One of the most out of control infestations I've ever had with fungas gnats was using promix getting watered about twice a week.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I've never seen fungas gnats kill a plant. And I've seen them bad man, like out of control stuck all over the buds bad. Thousands of them on a yellow sticky card.

They were only ever a nuisance. But they also made it difficult to identify whether they were fungas gnats or root aphids at times. Which eventually caught up to me.

growsince79

growsince79

I've never seen fungas gnats kill a plant. And I've seen them bad man, like out of control stuck all over the buds bad. Thousands of them on a yellow sticky card.

They were only ever a nuisance. But they also made it difficult to identify whether they were fungas gnats or root aphids at times. Which eventually caught up to me.
Trust me gnat larve can seriously damage roots. I know... Gnats are bad mmmkay.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Trust me gnat larve can seriously damage roots. I know... Gnats are bad mmmkay.

Lol...mmmmkay... I probably didnt see a single growroom on the west coast without gnats for almost a decade. We had some insane infestations, I cant imagine how bad theyd have to be to start killing plants. We just used yellow sticky traps, lots of yellow sticky traps.

But I'll take your word for it.

growsince79

growsince79

Lol...mmmmkay... I probably didnt see a single growroom on the west coast without gnats for almost a decade. We had some insane infestations, I cant imagine how bad theyd have to be to start killing plants. We just used yellow sticky traps, lots of yellow sticky traps.

But I'll take your word for it.
[/QUOTE
depends what you consider killing. I once had to harvest two weeks early because the roots were so damaged the plant could not take up water and was dying. Million fkn gnats, but the larve is what kills the roots. To me thats killing the plant. So yeah, I don't want any.

Seraphine

Seraphine

coco is not a hospitable environment for root pests. If your environment is on point, your coco will never be wet for too long, making it difficult for pests to take hold. I fertigate once per day.

lwcatgraff

lwcatgraff

I know right ? I still get regular electric outages, DWC would fail so hard. It's the closest I can go without the gear.

How long can a dwc last without power..?
What about a charged air compressor as a backup?... oil free, so should be good air..?

fatconeskills

fatconeskills

How long can a dwc last without power..?
What about a charged air compressor as a backup?... oil free, so should be good air..?
I think more than a couple min your water will stagnate, aeration would be horrible. Coco lets me go as close to DWC without the hassle and setup.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I use my daughters hair dryer if I get them only once in the past 15 years I’ve growing in same space . The hair dryer on med heat drys there little wings out and drys them out as well , use yellow sticky traps by the hundreds but now I’ve got the demon dryer .....

• Wow
Reactions: Ina
fatconeskills

fatconeskills

I use my daughters hair dryer if I get them only once in the past 15 years I’ve growing in same space . The hair dryer on med heat drys there little wings out and drys them out as well , use yellow sticky traps by the hundreds but now I’ve got the demon dryer .....
I ruined my wife's straightening iron tryin to make concentrates, I have lost such privileges. Brilliant idea

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I ruined my wife's straightening iron tryin to make concentrates, I have lost such privileges. Brilliant idea
My daughter won’t let me touch her new straightener after I killed her last one doing same thing , to much rig ma roll for me I’m just simple spliff man cant see the point of taking a great piece of bud and process it to daps , just give me the tally ho papers and my sura board for rolling in good to go .

fatconeskills

fatconeskills

My daughter won’t let me touch her new straightener after I killed her last one doing same thing , to much rig ma roll for me I’m just simple spliff man cant see the point of taking a great piece of bud and process it to daps , just give me the tally ho papers and my sura board for rolling in good to go .
Im the same, I don't have the patients for concentrates. I'm papers all the way, just something so therapeutic about rolling and combusting after a long day that nothing can compare to.

Ramseyc2006

Ramseyc2006

I'm currently using cocoloco and it works great. You water the same as you would soil. I was thinking about using pure coco for the next run. They say coco coir should be fergitated once or twice a day and never dry. How do you keep the gnats and root aphids away?
We use coco loco in our commercial grow. We feed to run off once day. Plants are growing like crazy. Haven't had any issues with over watering because of the coco loco having other products in it.

Ramseyc2006

Ramseyc2006

We have never had a problem with gnats. We do ipm the pots with mammoth bio.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
We have never had a problem with gnats. We do ipm the pots with mammoth bio.
How long do you guys wait to start the liquid feed? If you do, or is the cocoloco enough?

Top Bottom