coco smart beds with Obs

• Thread starter Obsoul33t
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

Obsoul33t

so i love the idea of growing in beds for root space and yield but hate the work involved in cleaning up a bed between runs when simply filling your flood bed with media .

i wanted a clean way to empty the beds for ease of use and quick turn around.

i had some 200 gallon smart pots left over from last seasons outdoor grow and did some measuring and what do ya know 2 x 200 gl smarts fit neatly into a 4x8 table or 1 200 gl smart fits in a 4x4 flood table.

i cut around 14" off the smart pots to shorten them down .

one other bonus is that it take far less to flood the bed with this volume of media

i have been a die hard coco grower for nearly 5 years so i knew i wanted to use coco for this project and my normal coco media that i use was simply too expensive to fill beds with . "crop circles"

my next choice was crutons , barely cheaper than crop circles but more available and even better draining.

i will be using a new recipe that i will share once i have it dialed but it will include

gh micro
cutting edge bloom
cutting edge plant amp
cutting edge mag amped
dynagro protekt
an hammerhead
an overdrive
dm zone

clones will be planted in the bed using full strength nutes from the git , i don't hold back with 1/2 strength and ramp up .
my cloning routine also uses a full strength nutrient solution and i have achieved growth during rooting . cuts are slammed with light from day 1 of cutting and have no need to harden off upon entry into the system.

i am experimenting with depth of coco this run and how much dry root space will be dialed in through this run

half the beds will use 7 bags per smart pot and half will use 6 bags per smart pot . i will be using 3 drain stacks to get the beds watered as deeply as possible in the botanicare tables .

the beds will be pre soaked with full stregnth nutes prior to introducing the cuts .

once i have established vigorous root growth the beds will be flooded 4-5x per 12 hours on .

i will be running oldsog's ssh and hindu kushx skunk at 16 per 200 gl smart pot

the corners and middle will fit 5 gl smarts perfectly to make up that space

let's go

Watermelonhp 005
Watermelonhp 003
Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
That's a cool way to do things:clapping

O

Obsoul33t

That's a cool way to do things:clapping

thanks zoo :hi:

my thinking cap is on 24/7

btw these beds filled with crutons dry only weight about 20 lbs one person can fold it into a taco and remove it .

S

Swerve

dude i dig it man.. i love bed growing.. killer idea...cant wait to see the results.

Greyskull

Greyskull

cleaning beds/trays sucks.....
curious to see how this goes as i have been using pots on tables.

nice start

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I just found a couple 100 or so 3 gallon smart pots in my shed and i was thinkin about rockin them shoulder to shoulder on the 3x6 tables.

Smartpots make good pump filters also..

Lovin the setup maing

Passion baby!!!

Tex

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Very interesting indeed. Was only talking about bed growing yesterday.

Kosmo

Kosmo

nice idea..

did something similar. Ive done a run and grown my mums out in smart pots (#3-5) with 100% coco coir and fell in love. But always preferred the beds when it came down to flowering. So i got thinking, and converted all my soma beds into "smart beds". Went out and ordered the same material Smart Pot uses, (was only 5$ a 6x6 sheet), and got rid of that cheap root clothe. Now my beds are even more reusable and easy to move.
http://i225.invalid.com/albums/dd216/Kosmo_08/IMG_0615.jpg
Also got one of those botanicare 4x4 tables too, using the same material i made that into a "smart bed."

S

shiva

what is the material called? and where can you get it? I like the idea

Kosmo

Kosmo

what is the material called? and where can you get it? I like the idea

polypropylene

did a quick search, and see Home Depot carry's a band sorta like it, little more money. But if u had your own sawing machine, making 100s of #1-3 smart pots just got that much cheaper..
f4d2e6a5-f770-47bd-b2f6-de53a8006c96_400.jpg

stanknkatz

stanknkatz

polypropylene

did a quick search, and see Home Depot carry's a band sorta like it, little more money. But if u had your own sewing machine, making 100s of #1-3 smart pots just got that much cheaper..
f4d2e6a5-f770-47bd-b2f6-de53a8006c96_400.jpg

Bingo..............sewing machine and a surger

H

hazyfontazy

great idea ,i saw somas beds and know quite a few who do it ,,it works very well ,,

my concern with coco beds is drainage ,coco likes to drain ,are u putting any drainage in ?

G

GDS StonerBoy

Kosmo fuggin awesome post, i'm gonna grab a couple of rolls of that!

G

grizz

your a wild man ob, love people that are always pushing the envelope. got me thinking now.

F

FastForward

Superb Obs!! 'working fine' is the understatement of the year :)

B

boxmunch9

Is that a screen of green your doing there? wasnt sure what oldsog meant. lookin sick bro

O

Obsoul33t

Is that a screen of green your doing there? wasnt sure what oldsog meant. lookin sick bro

olgsog ssh is the clone , it is a pheno that the person oldsog found i believe .

there is a trellis over the table to help support the plants but nothing was trained or tied down
i was told this plant needs supporting

Top Bottom