Coco Trees

• Thread starter deacon1503
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
deacon1503

deacon1503

I'm still pretty new to the vert. game, but I've seen precious few growers using reflectors vertically. This would seem to make a great deal of sense for vert. bulbs hung along walls, yet I never see it. Anyone know why this is?

Imagining that If you had A. XOXOX Vs. B OXOXOXO your room would need to be larger to compensate for the "extra" lights on the wall. You could use reflectors on the bulbs that are on the walls in your typical X/O pattern. That would be beneficial. But I surely would not take the X/O pattern and line the walls with lights and the plants in the middle. It just would not be as efficient as the way we hang our bulbs already. That is all i meant. The plants usually take up the whole corner in our layout described in example A.- And if you are dialed in your plants aren't going to grow too large for your space and get burned by the lights. But if you stuck one right on the wall it would torch it. So the room would have to be larger. There could be some advantage but the way we X/O our rooms is pretty much the most efficient way to hang the bulbs for vertical lighting. I think so any way.

I would use any extra lights for overhead lighting in addition to the vertical lights.

if i had enough space i would think an AW, vertically, in each corner. i think it would salvage alot of quality light. i mentioned previously that an AW over each plant along with verts would be killer.

Deacon. Are you feeding every 24 hours or48? What its three moisture level usually before you feed again if you don't mine taking a reading. I'm getting ready to flip some coco ladies soon.

I am curious what kind of feed/water schedule you came up with on the 20 gal coir and what is your chow mix %coir/hydroton?

thanks we need info like that floating around! Do ya' think we could run once a day with 100% coir?

feed times are independent from setup to setup. i feed until the pots start to run off. could be a minute, could be two. when the coco on the top of the pot would start to dry up, id feed. i dont have a moisture meter. maybe if u completely saturated the pot until full runoff maybe once a day. i started with 2 and will be starting at 4 this next run.
this last run i had some straight coco and some with 1/3 hydroton. the chow came out way chunkier. this run is a side by side with roots organics coco mix vs 50/50 canna coco/hydroton all in 10 gals.

deacon1503

deacon1503

Hey what size/kind of pump would you run for say 10-20 gal smart pots ? Sorry if I over looked your pump size. I am wanting to get something like going like this with my 1200 pondmaster mag drive. Is it enough? I saw that monster pump you have in the big room and that is on 9 plants right? I could water half and half with a Y shut off valve if it's too weak for 10 plants. I love coco and automation looks sweet!

i use the flotec utility pump from HD for 9 plants with 9 12" halos. remember u need head not pressure when selecting a pump. plumb in 1/2" ball valves for each halo. once its all done its easy peasy.

J

Jalisco Kid

thanks we need info like that floating around! Do ya' think we could run once a day with 100% coir?
You could but you would get less. That is if your environment is all right. Your plants would suffer under low rh and high temps.

ogtealover420

ogtealover420

i use the flotec utility pump from HD for 9 plants with 9 12" halos. remember u need head not pressure when selecting a pump. plumb in 1/2" ball valves for each halo. once its all done its easy peasy.
What about ppm / EC / and temp in res? I am very curious about ph with the Heavy 16 and coco together as a whole?

ogtealover420

ogtealover420

You could but you would get less. That is if your environment is all right. Your plants would suffer under low rh and high temps.
Not sure I get it. You are saying one watering a day with coco is not enough? The pots will be dry? Especially if it is hot or I have low RH right?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I love how this all worked out.

I am sure I missed it, but what size pump are you running for the halos and how many sites?

J

Jalisco Kid

Not sure I get it. You are saying one watering a day with coco is not enough? The pots will be dry? Especially if it is hot or I have low RH right?
That is correct, once your plant starts to become a tree around 5.5' -6' she will drink a lot. That 20 gal should be 1 tight root ball by then. JK

deacon1503

deacon1503

Day 21 after a 1 month veg w/ CC Buddha Tahoe. My first OG grow and i def see 2 phenos. I saw trichs at day 18 so hopefully the growth keeps rolling. ive added another plant, another 1K, and a phoenix max air 200 dehuey. also running a grundfos MQ pump run by a sentinel DRT-1.

H16 a+b
Aptus Fasilitor
Aptus Startboost
Aptus Massboost
H16 Prime
H16 Fire
Weekly teas w/ Caps bennies

this is also a side by side with 5 pots with 50/50 coco/hydroton and 5 plants of Roots Organics Soilless coco mix. only difference ive noticed so far was that it seemed the coco/hton mix rooted faster.

DSC04191
DSC04190
DSC04192
DSC04193
DSC04194
DSC04195

B

Beasters X Haze

Just a heads up to those interested in drip rings, I've had the hydro halos about a year ago and really didnt like how they worked over a period of time ( clogged up too easily for me and some of the welds split and shot water on the walls). I switched to these drip rings http://coloradogardensupply.com/Hydro_Ring.html ( the pics don't show the product all that good, I saw them in person first) the holes are about 3mm or so, I dont ever think they will clog. not trying to high jack the thread, just wanted to share.

deacon1503

deacon1503

Just a heads up to those interested in drip rings, I've had the hydro halos about a year ago and really didnt like how they worked over a period of time ( clogged up too easily for me and some of the welds split and shot water on the walls). I switched to these drip rings http://coloradogardensupply.com/Hydro_Ring.html ( the pics don't show the product all that good, I saw them in person first) the holes are about 3mm or so, I dont ever think they will clog. not trying to high jack the thread, just wanted to share.

I have experienced the same issues using the Halos. Thanks for the new product info.

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Awesome update Deacon! All of those trees look dialed-in and about to blowup with fat colas...

H

hogan400

Deacon, you running a tea as well? When I run it, it seems to clear out my halo's....
figured I'd ask and/or mention it.

deacon1503

deacon1503

Deacon, you running a tea as well? When I run it, it seems to clear out my halo's....
figured I'd ask and/or mention it.

yes I run both a Cap tea and a full tea with all the Progress Earth additives that normally accompany their Vortex brewer, I also add alfalfa meal as well. I alternate between the 2 recipes. only the Cap tea do I feed straight through the pump and halos. the normal tea is hand fed due to the ingredients.

so ur tea dissolves any salt residues left over on ur halo spray holes?

H

hogan400

Yeah, sure seems to. I see a little build up around the holes and def on the sides and the black tubing. But I have had no plugging. I notice if I skip tea, the pressure after a week or so, slows. Add the tea again, and it picks back up. I do strain the shit out of it before I add it and dilute it down some.

S

sicinsane

yo deacon what do you mean by that? i trying to set up a drip as well right now. using 18 halo rings with the ball valves. im having trouble with each site getting the same amount of water. the ones at the end usually drip very little.

deacon1503

deacon1503

yo deacon what do you mean by that? i trying to set up a drip as well right now. using 18 halo rings with the ball valves. im having trouble with each site getting the same amount of water. the ones at the end usually drip very little.

What's ur feed setup? What size halos? What's ur pump hp rating, max pressure and max head? What size PVC are u running and what's ur manifold layout? If u still have low pressure at the end of the run even with ball valves at each pot, I can tell u now u need a larger pump. Read this for a good explanation of head vs. psi: http://www.canyonhydro.com/guide/HydroGuide7.html.

Basically head pressure provides the volume so u need enough gallons per hour with a max of about 60 psi to satisfy the total volume of nute u need to push through to your pots at every feeding. With 18 halos I'd try this pump first: . What size pots are u running and what's ur rez size? This is the 4th pump/PVC setup I've tried so far and the MQ pump helped tremendously bc I knew I could always dial back the ball valves. I tried this pump on a 16 site, , but it actually provided to much pressure for the halos.

My MQ pumps roughly 15 gals in 40 seconds.

J

Jalisco Kid

What's ur feed setup? What size halos? What's ur pump hp rating, max pressure and max head? What size PVC are u running and what's ur manifold layout? If u still have low pressure at the end of the run even with ball valves at each pot, I can tell u now u need a larger pump. Read this for a good explanation of head vs. psi: http://www.canyonhydro.com/guide/HydroGuide7.html.

Basically head pressure provides the volume so u need enough gallons per hour with a max of about 60 psi to satisfy the total volume of nute u need to push through to your pots at every feeding. With 18 halos I'd try this pump first: . What size pots are u running and what's ur rez size? This is the 4th pump/PVC setup I've tried so far and the MQ pump helped tremendously bc I knew I could always dial back the ball valves. I tried this pump on a 16 site, , but it actually provided to much pressure for the halos.

My MQ pumps roughly 15 gals in 40 seconds.
Make sure you have an easily cleaned pre filter as the 45 hurts a little when it has backpresure and make sure you break it down for cleaning every 2 grows. I have some now going on 6 years with out a drop in delivery.

Top Bottom