Cold water feed in soil

• Thread starter hella local916
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hella local916

hella local916

I was wondering if watering with cold water to my babies that are in soil beds bad? The room temp is a constant 72 but the water coming from the ro is freezing. Like 50 or 60 degrees. I have watered in the past one time and everything turned out fine. I read somewhere that it needs to be room temp or will cause stunt in growth.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
ive always let my water come to room temp...roots hate to be cold...atleast thats what my plants tell me ;)

manicgrower

manicgrower

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah, low water temps can definitely slow growth. Id also up your room temp to at least 75-77 for optimum metabolism and faster growth. Now, flushing the last week of flower with cold water really brings out the frost and colors. Or thats been my experience anyways..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I was wondering if watering with cold water to my babies that are in soil beds bad? The room temp is a constant 72 but the water coming from the ro is freezing. Like 50 or 60 degrees. I have watered in the past one time and everything turned out fine. I read somewhere that it needs to be room temp or will cause stunt in growth.
Won't just limit growth, it will make uptake of nutrients physiologically impossible. Just like pH values that are too far out of range, temperature of the solute (water) will make utilization impossible for plants. Keep their roots warm as best you can, let their heads get (almost!) as cold as you like (during dark phase is fine).

hella local916

hella local916

Thanks everything for your input I really do appreciate it.
Do you guys think if I get a tank heater it will be ok in the res when filled with nutes??

hella local916

hella local916

The room that holds the res gets pretty cold. Was thinking about wrapping it to protect from cold environment

manicgrower

manicgrower

Premium Member
Supporter
I dont see it being a problem. Put a pump in the water as well to circulate it. That will help warm the temps.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

It really hurts bacterial growth fungal growth is ok but whats more important is if you have to use colder water you distribute the water alot slower throught the day instead of blasting everyother morning....

P

paulycali

I have always watered at around room temperature but have recently found that water temp between 66-68 degrees has the more oxygen then room temperature water. I have been watering at 68 degrees and they seem to be doing great. No different than the ones watered with room temperature water. What's your water temp?

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Now, flushing the last week of flower with cold water really brings out the frost and colors. Or thats been my experience anyways..

When you stress your plants during the last week or two of flower, they use more energy to create essential oils which will give it more trichs. They do this to protect themselves from the harsh environment, but this is also known to slightly decrease yield.

So when you water with really cold h2o, it shocks and stresses the plant which produces more trichs, but there are safer ways to do this then giving them cold water. I don't wanna get off subject, but lowering temps and RH is probably one of the best, if not the best, way to slightly stress the plant to increase trichome production without sacrificing a large amount, if any, of yield.

Giving it cold water might be just as safe, but when Seamaiden said it prohibits nutrient uptake I don't think its a good idea. Then again, when you flush your plants the last week or two I don't think they are suppose to uptake nutrients through the roots, so maybe it is safe?? :confused: Help please.

manicgrower

manicgrower

Premium Member
Supporter
When you stress your plants during the last week or two of flower, they use more energy to create essential oils which will give it more trichs. They do this to protect themselves from the harsh environment, but this is also known to slightly decrease yield.

So when you water with really cold h2o, it shocks and stresses the plant which produces more trichs, but there are safer ways to do this then giving them cold water. I don't wanna get off subject, but lowering temps and RH is probably one of the best, if not the best, way to slightly stress the plant to increase trichome production without sacrificing a large amount, if any, of yield.

Giving it cold water might be just as safe, but when Seamaiden said it prohibits nutrient uptake I don't think its a good idea. Then again, when you flush your plants the last week or two I don't think they are suppose to uptake nutrients through the roots, so maybe it is safe?? :confused: Help please.

Ive done side by side tests in my room with this and saw no decrease in yield. I did see a increase in resin production as well as smells and colors. I dont think much(if any) weight is gained in the last week of flower.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Ive done side by side tests in my room with this and saw no decrease in yield. I did see a increase in resin production as well as smells and colors. I dont think much(if any) weight is gained in the last week of flower.

I'm not doubting your capability or test results, this is more of a question. Plants can only photosynthesis so much, so when they use more energy towards oil production instead of weight gain, how do plants maintain the same weight without extra energy for photosynthesis ?? Unless the extra amount of trichomes produced were so small it doesn't make a difference in weight loss??

When you stressed your plants to produce more oil and you didn't notice any weight lose, maybe you gained such a small amount of trichs you couldn't tell when smoking, but only when looking at the buds??

Just to let you know, I'm not trying to start a debate and/or argument with you, these are honest questions that I'm very curious to know the answers to because there are University studies that show plants (not cannabis) produce more essential oils when stressed close to harvest, but they also lose some weight when compared to the 'control' plants. But then I see multiple growers online say they noticed an increase in trich production without sacrificing any yield.

There is a clear difference between results from actual scientific experiments at Universities compared to random growers online where there is great diversity in individual skill levels. Again, I'm not knocking your skills, but I have a hard time believing something that I've seen the mainstream horticulture industry say the opposite. If there is a way for you, or anyone, to explain how its possible then I will admit I'm wrong because I'm going based on what I read because I've never done any side by side experiments. So if I'm wrong I'll be happy to admit it and learn more :)

manicgrower

manicgrower

Premium Member
Supporter
No problem here. I actually encourage people to question what they read on these forums. Whether its from a so called "expert" or a newbie. I cant tell you how many times Ive see growers use certain methods with excellent results, only to be disappointed when I don't get the same results when tried myself. Every one has a different environment, different nutrients and different strain combinations. So what works in one growers room, may not work in another's. Ive learned more through trial and error (mostly error)than from any Cannabis website. TAKE EVERYTHING YOU READ ON THESE FORUMS WITH A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF SKEPTICISM. Test it out for yourself before diving head first into it. You'll have a much less stressful life. Trust me!

With that being said, I think we have the same concept, but are just stating it differently. I would probably agree that stressing a Cannabis plant to increase essential oils/smells/colors can be a trade off for lower yield when done at the wrong time. But, in my opinion, from the results Ive seen through actual side by side testing in my specific rooms. During the last week of bloom before harvest, no noticeable weight is gained(when full maturity has been reached). It is more of a period of flushing access salts and ripening of trichomes. That is why no noticeable weight is lost, because no noticeable weight would have been gained regardless of the cold water flush or not..

Now, if this was done earlier, say 3 weeks before harvest or even 2 weeks, I could definitely see where a considerable amount of weight would be lost(among other issues). But hey, I'm no scientist and have no degree in Botany. So I could be completely wrong. Its happened before..But It works great in my rooms, so I think Ill stick with it.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think what you're talking about is what makes husbandry and cultivation as much an art as a science, manic. I have found that the last week is important in other terms, not necessarily weight, though the last two weeks are a different story when taken as a whole.

ghost79

ghost79

No problem here. I actually encourage people to question what they read on these forums. Whether its from a so called "expert" or a newbie. I cant tell you how many times Ive see growers use certain methods with excellent results, only to be disappointed when I don't get the same results when tried myself. Every one has a different environment, different nutrients and different strain combinations. So what works in one growers room, may not work in another's. Ive learned more through trial and error (mostly error)than from any Cannabis website. TAKE EVERYTHING YOU READ ON THESE FORUMS WITH A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF SKEPTICISM. Test it out for yourself before diving head first into it. You'll have a much less stressful life. Trust me!

With that being said, I think we have the same concept, but are just stating it differently. I would probably agree that stressing a Cannabis plant to increase essential oils/smells/colors can be a trade off for lower yield when done at the wrong time. But, in my opinion, from the results Ive seen through actual side by side testing in my specific rooms. During the last week of bloom before harvest, no noticeable weight is gained(when full maturity has been reached). It is more of a period of flushing access salts and ripening of trichomes. That is why no noticeable weight is lost, because no noticeable weight would have been gained regardless of the cold water flush or not..

Now, if this was done earlier, say 3 weeks before harvest or even 2 weeks, I could definitely see where a considerable amount of weight would be lost(among other issues). But hey, I'm no scientist and have no degree in Botany. So I could be completely wrong. Its happened before..But It works great in my rooms, so I think Ill stick with it.
Are you feeding your plants with sucanat( organic cane sugar) or molsasses and carbohydrates to enhance the vigor, overall "energy" of the plant. I've found by fertilizing with sucanat or Wholesome organic molasses by wholesome sweeteners is a good way to add on extra wheight and size, taste, and smell. Also, I agreee w/ Seamaiden that the most important weeks of the flowering stage is within the last two weeks as peak maturity sets in at this stage when the THC trichomes are developing and maturing to harvest at the peak of the THC content checked by an illuminated microscope 60x-100x. When 50% of the trichs turn amber and 50% turn milky white on the tops of the stalked trichomes it's time to harvest. Adding a sugar supplement will help offset any wheight loss, hopefully! I know studies where buds that wrer treated w/ a sugar/carbohydrate supplement were virtually20%-30% bigger and heavier. Of course evrything in the environment, genetics,etc. have to be the same to compare fairly.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

That makes sense, I never really see weight gain in the last week of flower, but I didn't think about that before. I'm gonna try it on half my plants next run to see if it makes them noticeably frostier and compare weight for each plant. If I change the environment then all the plants will be affected, but using cold water will only affect the plants I choose, I think thats a good idea.

manicgrower

manicgrower

Premium Member
Supporter
Are you feeding your plants with sucanat( organic cane sugar) or molsasses and carbohydrates to enhance the vigor, overall "energy" of the plant. I've found by fertilizing with sucanat or Wholesome organic molasses by wholesome sweeteners is a good way to add on extra wheight and size, taste, and smell. Also, I agreee w/ Seamaiden that the most important weeks of the flowering stage is within the last two weeks as peak maturity sets in at this stage when the THC trichomes are developing and maturing to harvest at the peak of the THC content checked by an illuminated microscope 60x-100x. When 50% of the trichs turn amber and 50% turn milky white on the tops of the stalked trichomes it's time to harvest. Adding a sugar supplement will help offset any wheight loss, hopefully! I know studies where buds that wrer treated w/ a sugar/carbohydrate supplement were virtually20%-30% bigger and heavier. Of course evrything in the environment, genetics,etc. have to be the same to compare fairly.

I do feed with sugars and carbohydrates and I agree that this does increase flavors/tastes/frost/weight. I dont however feed them the last week of flower. This is a period of ripening and flushing of access salts. Im trying to rid the buds of salts and chlorophyll in order to have a much cleaner and healthier smoke. Im a hydro/coco though, so it could be a bit different in soil. Do you feed your plants sugars, carbs or anything else during the last week of flower?

manicgrower

manicgrower

Premium Member
Supporter
That makes sense, I never really see weight gain in the last week of flower, but I didn't think about that before. I'm gonna try it on half my plants next run to see if it makes them noticeably frostier and compare weight for each plant. If I change the environment then all the plants will be affected, but using cold water will only affect the plants I choose, I think thats a good idea.

I think you'll be happy with the results. Let me know how they do.

manicgrower

manicgrower

Premium Member
Supporter
Hmm, I never really measured. What I do is take some old plastic containers(milk jugs, water bottles ect.), fill them with water, freeze them, then drop em in the res. Let em sit about an hour(with a pump circulating), then water. Ill be doing it in about a week, so Ill be sure to measure the temp. and report back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom