Cold Water Problem

• Thread starter Slowitdown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Whats up everyone! Having a little issue in this new room. I am currently on the East coast and temps are getting real cold. Anyway, I keep two 60 gallon containers filled with water then let sit for 24 hours to feed (to remove chlorine) Anyway, the containers are outside of the room so the water gets to freezing temps. I have no way of putting them in the room to keep them warm they have to stay where there at. Those aquarium heats don't work. What would you recommend ?

Dunge

Dunge

The problem with cold water is cold.
Seamaiden offers that soil temps below 50 deg slam the breaks on growth.
I believe it, and have even started using warmed water in my garden.
I would suggest that the damage Cl will do is less than the cold.
My understanding of Cl is that it binds with organics.
If these organics are enzymes or membrane molecules, it will damage their function.
But there is so much organic matter in dirt that most of the Cl gets bound harmlessly to no bio-active molecules.
So I'd use warm house water over cold degassed.
PS I don't believe out gassing works all that well anyway.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

The problem with cold water is cold.
Seamaiden offers that soil temps below 50 deg slam the breaks on growth.
I believe it, and have even started using warmed water in my garden.
I would suggest that the damage Cl will do is less than the cold.
My understanding of Cl is that it binds with organics.
If these organics are enzymes or membrane molecules, it will damage their function.
But there is so much organic matter in dirt that most of the Cl gets bound harmlessly to no bio-active molecules.
So I'd use warm house water over cold degassed.
PS I don't believe out gassing works all that well anyway.

Yeah you got a good point. Thanks bro. I was thinking about my teas because I let that water sit for 48 hours before using it to make tea. But I can just set that in 5 gallon buckets and move it in the room since it won't be a problem moving it basically.

Last edited:
Tnelz

Tnelz

Not sure if I agree or disagree with saying f it and just going with chlorinated water. However there is no question what cold water does and slamming on the breaks was a pretty apt description. One thing u can do is add some compost with molasses to ur water and it binds or something with the chlorine pretty quickly. May add the extra step of straining before use but it would run u of the chlorine. Plenty of reading material on the subject. Found something on Google a while back that gave u percentages and stuff. Like how much molasses and compost u need to do chlorinated a five gallon bucket immediately. Another option could be microbe life hydros product. It's a water conditioner and I feel their products r solid so I'm sure it would work but in all honestly probably no better than the compost and molasses. So just my 2cents. Just curious though. They Def sell aquarium heaters that keep hundred gallon tanks pretty stable so why don't they work? Another question for the maiden though seeing she has a ton of fish experience. Good luck either way bro!

Tnelz

Tnelz

Not sure if I agree or disagree with saying f it and just going with chlorinated water. However there is no question what cold water does and slamming on the breaks was a pretty apt description. One thing u can do is add some compost with molasses to ur water and it binds or something with the chlorine pretty quickly. May add the extra step of straining before use but it would run u of the chlorine. Plenty of reading material on the subject. Found something on Google a while back that gave u percentages and stuff. Like how much molasses and compost u need to do chlorinated a five gallon bucket immediately. Another option could be microbe life hydros product. It's a water conditioner and I feel their products r solid so I'm sure it would work but in all honestly probably no better than the compost and molasses. So just my 2cents. Just curious though. They Def sell aquarium heaters that keep hundred gallon tanks pretty stable so why don't they work? Another question for the maiden though seeing she has a ton of fish experience. Good luck either way bro!
Sorry about the spelling. It's my auto correct!

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
I had cold water issues last winter. I used an Aquarium heater and it worked just fine. 30 gal rez.

Get 2 and put them in there. It'll warm it up. If your rez is sitting directly on the ground or concrete I'd put it on some thing to raise it up 1" piece of foam or a pallet. If you need too, wrap them up to insulate them. Shoot for a temp of 70 degrees to keep them plants happy!

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Your going to have to build some kind of insulated box to put those 60 gal reservoirs in,THEN your aquarium heaters will have a chance to work,right now they cant overcome the cold.If you dont get them in an insulated box or inside soon you will not have to worry about the water temp because it will be frozen!Im on the west coast and my res will get high 40s-low 50s inside my equipment room overnight when temps drop into mid 30s outside for a couple days,i wrap the tank in insulation and use an aquarium heater.
Oh and primes right,get them up off the cold ground/slab.

ZONER

ZONER

Go pick up two or as many insulated water heater blankets and wrap the containers. Put the aquarium heater back in and if you can two long air stones to keep it moving. As always this is just my 2 cents
Damn Fish your too quick, must of his my post button 20 seconds after you....$@/&&?!
What am I ....jeez PrimeC also put up insulation. Man I gotta pay better attention to stuff.

Last edited:
fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I built a little stand out of 2x6 to set my res on and put r19 under and around it.My spots like a damn walk in cooler in winter but in flower/veg rooms its cozy thanks to heat pump minis.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Thanks everyone. My challenge is a little bit harder since I am going through 120 gallons of water a day in that room. @Prime C what aquarium heater did you use? Link? How long does it take to heat up your 30 gall res?

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
Thanks everyone. My challenge is a little bit harder since I am going through 120 gallons of water a day in that room. @Prime C what aquarium heater did you use? Link? How long does it take to heat up your 30 gall res?

I used one from walmart for the big tanks they are like a foot long with suction cups to hold them down. Might want to just glue them in. It would take over night to warm it up prob 10 hours maybe..?

Ambre

Ambre

You might check with your water company to see what they use in the water. Most areas are using chloramine now instead of chlorine; chloramine does not evaporate like chlorine does. If they use the chloramine, your best bet would be a RO filter.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

You might check with your water company to see what they use in the water. Most areas are using chloramine now instead of chlorine; chloramine does not evaporate like chlorine does. If they use the chloramine, your best bet would be a RO filter.

It is chlorine. RO filter is out of the question anyway.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Cold water is hard to heat up,Even that 1000 watter is gonna take some time,you need to find a way to keep the water warmer.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Cold water is hard to heat up,Even that 1000 watter is gonna take some time,you need to find a way to keep the water warmer.

Yeah I was thinking about that. Not going to waste any money trying to combat it like that. I honestly only have two options. One is to just fill up the res bubble it for a hour then water. Two is to somehow have the containers kept in the room.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Whats up everyone! Having a little issue in this new room. I am currently on the East coast and temps are getting real cold. Anyway, I keep two 60 gallon containers filled with water then let sit for 24 hours to feed (to remove chlorine) Anyway, the containers are outside of the room so the water gets to freezing temps. I have no way of putting them in the room to keep them warm they have to stay where there at. Those aquarium heats don't work. What would you recommend ?
Water bed heating mat. I use mine underneath a 45gal trash can, works much better than an aquarium heater. I got mine from eBay. Insulating your water storage makes a HUGE difference, too. I made a very simple box out of that rigid Styrofoam insulation that works very, very well.
Ah, well in a scenario like that what we did in the big fishroom was pass water through an actual household water heater. Another, probably better option would be to set up an on-demand water heater.

Latest posts

Top Bottom