Cold Water Problem

• Thread starter Slowitdown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Water bed heating mat. I use mine underneath a 45gal trash can, works much better than an aquarium heater. I got mine from eBay. Insulating your water storage makes a HUGE difference, too. I made a very simple box out of that rigid Styrofoam insulation that works very, very well.

Ah, well in a scenario like that what we did in the big fishroom was pass water through an actual household water heater. Another, probably better option would be to set up an on-demand water heater.

Not sure if I understand right but my water is coming from a on-demand water heater. I fill the res at around 80 degrees and it cools to 70 in a couple hours. My whole issue @Seamaiden is I do not want to use the water a couple hours out of tap bec of the chlorine issue. Insulation box won't work for me neither bec I clean the res out after every use it will be to hard to do it and just create another task. Worst case scenario if I used water couple hours straight from tap @Seamaiden ?

Dunge

Dunge

I'd like to know if chlorinated water is in fact damaging in soil or if it is theoretically damaging.
Willing to bet the cold water is more problematic than the chlorine, but I just don't know.
With such a large use rate this may be all automated and hard to isolate test subjects, but I had to ask.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Why not just use a filter like these if chlorine is your only issue?This is what i use as im not a fan of RO units.

My problem is my tap comes out super cold in the winter all by itself,shit will hurt your teeth if you drink it its so cold,so i fill my res and leave it sit overnight with the heater in it and insulation around it,i use a 55gallon poly drum and throwing the lid on top also helps prevent heat loss overnight.

Last edited:
Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Why not just use a filter like these if chlorine is your only issue?This is what i use as im not a fan of RO units.
[/QUOTE

I got two of the bigger units I stopped using them. Time consuming and wasting a lot of water/money.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

I'd like to know if chlorinated water is in fact damaging in soil or if it is theoretically damaging.
Willing to bet the cold water is more problematic than the chlorine, but I just don't know.
With such a large use rate this may be all automated and hard to isolate test subjects, but I had to ask.

Cold water to me is def. worse. Regardless I will never use the cold water. I have done a lot of research about chlorinated water and in fact it can do damage to your plants (yellowing of leaves) BUT I do not believe the damage will make or break a plants life. I have a link to a document that says you can remove chlorine faster with vitamin c tablets -

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/html/05231301/05231301.html

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Chlorine
  • Chlorine, which some municipalities use to kill disease-causing microorganisms, is bad for plants. Chlorine is a gas that evaporates out of water easily, so unless the water coming out of your tap has a distinct smell of chlorine, you don't need to worry about it. If you smell chlorine, let the water sit for 24 hours before using it on your plants. Use clean, empty milk jugs or soda bottles to hold the water while it "breathes."

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

A de-chlorinating filter is different than an RO filter where you have waste water so im not sure how it wastes water or money besides the cost of filters?Time is a different issue but i did see on here awhile back someone who used a timer to fill his res before he even got to his spot so it was ready to go,anyways best of luck i know you will figure it out.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

A de-chlorinating filter is different than an RO filter where you have waste water so im not sure how it wastes water or money besides the cost of filters?Time is a different issue but i did see on here awhile back someone who used a timer to fill his res before he even got to his spot so it was ready to go,anyways best of luck i know you will figure it out.

Yeah im probably thinking of something else. I will keep you guys posted thanks fellas

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Not sure if I understand right but my water is coming from a on-demand water heater. I fill the res at around 80 degrees and it cools to 70 in a couple hours. My whole issue @Seamaiden is I do not want to use the water a couple hours out of tap bec of the chlorine issue. Insulation box won't work for me neither bec I clean the res out after every use it will be to hard to do it and just create another task. Worst case scenario if I used water couple hours straight from tap @Seamaiden ?
What if you start using more pumps here? For example, I've experienced how easily a sump pump left running in a container for a couple of hours will seriously heat up the water. That same pump can be used to move the water back and forth for you as well. You could set it up so that it causes roiling of the surface, which not only helps speed dissipation of the chlorine, but increases DO levels.

The insulation box I built could easily be made so as to allow the reservoir (for me, a rolling trash can) to be moved in and out of it. Or, how about insulating blankets? I don't think 70*F is a bad temperature, I think it's right in range for using immediately.

As for the chlorine, that 'problem' is just too easily dealt with using sodium thiosulfate mixed to 1%-3% solution, and used at a rate of around 1tsp/gal water. It's perfectly safe for the most delicate invertebrates in my experience, never harms an aquarium's biological filter, so I think it could be safe for you to use here. I suggest getting the dry powder at The Chemical Store. IIRC, 2lbs of pure ST is about $5. Mix that to 3% and you've got enough dechlorinator to last you for life just about.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

What if you start using more pumps here? For example, I've experienced how easily a sump pump left running in a container for a couple of hours will seriously heat up the water. That same pump can be used to move the water back and forth for you as well. You could set it up so that it causes roiling of the surface, which not only helps speed dissipation of the chlorine, but increases DO levels.

The insulation box I built could easily be made so as to allow the reservoir (for me, a rolling trash can) to be moved in and out of it. Or, how about insulating blankets? I don't think 70*F is a bad temperature, I think it's right in range for using immediately.

As for the chlorine, that 'problem' is just too easily dealt with using sodium thiosulfate mixed to 1%-3% solution, and used at a rate of around 1tsp/gal water. It's perfectly safe for the most delicate invertebrates in my experience, never harms an aquarium's biological filter, so I think it could be safe for you to use here. I suggest getting the dry powder at The Chemical Store. IIRC, 2lbs of pure ST is about $5. Mix that to 3% and you've got enough dechlorinator to last you for life just about.

Beautiful! Thanks @Seamaiden

Top Bottom