Combatting High Heavy Metals Testing

• Thread starter FiZZiKKZ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FiZZiKKZ

FiZZiKKZ

I have been dealing with high heavy metals in my finished products. Specifically Arsenic and Nickel
During the bloom and veg cycle, I do 2 compost teas that have kelp meal in them.
I also do 2 feedings of 5:2 Humic:Kelp, in which the kelp is a light feeding.
So throughout the plants entire life cycle it gets 8 feedings that contain kelp.

After seeing these test results I am certain I am using too much kelp throughout the plant's life cycle. Do you have any recommendations that would help the plants not absorb metals or to flush them out of the soil?
I have been reading Humic actually helps with plant adsorption of heavy metals. Is Humic something I should use weekly at a low dosage?
Any input or products you know that I should use to help on this would be great.

The kelp I use for Tea is--- Down to Earth - Kelp Meal (Application Rate - 1/2 cup per 25 gallons). (sent attachment)
The kelp I use for Humic:Kelp feeding is -- Aurora Innovations - Extreme Serene (Application Rate - 4.25mL per gallon) (sent attachment)

I run a no-til setup and this was all brand new Super Soil that was not previously amended with anything. Only 1 strain out of 6 failed the testing for Arsenic and Nickel but a few others were borderline failing on Nickel.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Check out how Gypsum and also bone char can counterteact to the heavy metals. What was the amendment you added that was so high?

Last edited:
FiZZiKKZ

FiZZiKKZ

I have not added any amendments. I only fed with Kelp quite a few times.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Are you feeding directly onto the plant with a foliar each time or into the soil?. What medium are you in? Just curious what state is this too?

Last edited:
Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Check out how Gypsum and also bone char can counterteact to the heavy metals. What was the amendment you added that was so high?
Zeolite is supposed to help in these situations

Have you checked your water supply? My city water can have high arsenic. Ive seen it at 10ppm. Gtfo!

Homesteader

Homesteader

Not sure if anything would be useful in this thread but the video from Illinois small farms may be something of interest.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Thats what I am thinking as well. I do you RO filtered water. So its odd to think there would be any metals leftover afterwards.
The whole things seems odd IMO. Does Michigan test strawberries for heavy metals too? Seems like another layer of bullshit if you ask me. I would test it again.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Thats what I am thinking as well. I do you RO filtered water. So its odd to think there would be any metals leftover afterwards.

Test your water.

How regularly do you change filters?

The life of filters isnt as long as the mfg claims imo. Hydrologic and growonix are the two ive purchased. Good products! Never tested the water. My hydrologic carbon filter only last for 600 gallons or so of ro water. The package claims 1500 i think maybe 3000....lol my ass!

FiZZiKKZ

FiZZiKKZ

Test your water.

How regularly do you change filters?

The life of filters isnt as long as the mfg claims imo. Hydrologic and growonix are the two ive purchased. Good products! Never tested the water. My hydrologic carbon filter only last for 600 gallons or so of ro water. The package claims 1500 i think maybe 3000....lol my ass!
I change filters as recommended by the manufacturer. I also check PPM regularly to make sure its still keeping low PPM. But seeing you say the manufacturer recommendations are lower then they claim i should change them sooner.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

I change filters as recommended by the manufacturer. I also check PPM regularly to make sure its still keeping low PPM. But seeing you say the manufacturer recommendations are lower then they claim i should change them sooner.
The mfg suggests this and that. Their claims are bullshit. 10,000 gallons then a new ro filter... that sll depends how bad your water is to start with. The mfg's will put (in small letters) these numbers can only reflect how dirty your water is. The cleaner the longer it lasts. What would be nice is them coming up with a chart that lists the different ppms lets say 100, 200, 300, 400, 500. Then tell us how long the filters last based on each individual start ppm..if a company put that info on the box, and it's true, thats an honest company. Id buy and promote their products! We dont get that though...

Whats your start ppm and RO ppm?

How many gals a day are you making?

Look into a diy 5 gallon bucket or smaller/bigger zeolite do ot yourself filter. If your water is contaminated that will hekp pull it out of the water.

Pippins

Pippins

Kelp meal is extremely high in Arsenic in general, and some are worse than others. The arsenic in seaweed is a major dietary cause of cancer in the diet of some Asian populations. I'm going to be honest with you, there isn't much you can do to lower the heavy metal content in your soil, you might need to get new soil. This time, only use products that have been third party tested for heavy metals: https://apps1.cdfa.ca.gov/fertilizerproducts/. All kelp meal is loaded with arsenic, but there are some kelp extracts out there that are "below detectable limits" for arsenic. Don't buy anything that isn't "below detectable limits" because this stuff builds up in soil over time, and there is no excuse to have ANY heavy metals in our soil/fertilizers. Organics really are the worst for heavy metals-look at the levels of arsenic and cadmium in various Earth Juice or Nectar for the Gods products...it's inexcusable. Then look at mineral salt fertilizers like General Hydroponics, Flora, Flora Nova, and Maxi lines-all below detectable limits. If GH can make a product without heavy metals, there is no excuse for anyone else to allow them.

FiZZiKKZ

FiZZiKKZ

Kelp meal is extremely high in Arsenic in general, and some are worse than others. The arsenic in seaweed is a major dietary cause of cancer in the diet of some Asian populations. I'm going to be honest with you, there isn't much you can do to lower the heavy metal content in your soil, you might need to get new soil. This time, only use products that have been third party tested for heavy metals: https://apps1.cdfa.ca.gov/fertilizerproducts/. All kelp meal is loaded with arsenic, but there are some kelp extracts out there that are "below detectable limits" for arsenic. Don't buy anything that isn't "below detectable limits" because this stuff builds up in soil over time, and there is no excuse to have ANY heavy metals in our soil/fertilizers. Organics really are the worst for heavy metals-look at the levels of arsenic and cadmium in various Earth Juice or Nectar for the Gods products...it's inexcusable. Then look at mineral salt fertilizers like General Hydroponics, Flora, Flora Nova, and Maxi lines-all below detectable limits. If GH can make a product without heavy metals, there is no excuse for anyone else to allow them.
Wow, thanks for that link that was very helpful.
How do I know what are safe levels and what aren't? I know it's going to be very hard to find NDL products when growing organically.
The Down to Earth Kelp Meal is loaded with Arsenic! and i have been using that!

T

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Lol

I believe it is or was in new zealand that they used zeolite to pull heavy metsls from the soil. The study might still be on going. The whole point of the study is to see how long zeolite can hold onto the HM particles.

Maxicrop....ill never fuck with that shit ever again.....34.2ppm arsenic! Wtf

That link you gave tests down to ppm...thats fuckin scary...1ppm of mercury is like 2,000X more than whats allowed in drinking water

Last edited:
Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

Organics really are the worst for heavy metals-look at the levels of arsenic and cadmium in various or products...it's inexcusable. Then look at mineral salt fertilizers like , Flora, Flora Nova, and Maxi lines-all below detectable limits. If GH can make a product without heavy metals, there is no excuse for anyone else to allow them.
Quoted for true!!! Most of em are recycled agricultural/industrial waste .
Also animal meals are very nasty and untraceables....cheap composts used as ingredients for soil mixes also can be loaded with unknown crap...
I remember reading also bad things about azomite and heavy metals...
Amino chelated salt nutrients seems to me right now best choice for clean cannabis...🤷‍♂️

Damn....few days ago i gave the dose of kelp that i used to give to the soil once x cycle....
Earth Juice
Nectar for the Gods
General Hydroponics
Earth Juice
Nectar for the Gods
General Hydroponics
Earth Juice
Nectar for the Gods
General Hydroponics
Earth Juice
Nectar for the Gods
General Hydroponics
Earth Juice
Nectar for the Gods
General Hydroponics
Earth Juice
Nectar for the Gods
General Hydroponics

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Quoted for true!!! Most of em are recycled agricultural/industrial waste .
Also animal meals are very nasty and untraceables....cheap composts used as ingredients for soil mixes also can be loaded with unknown crap...
I remember reading also bad things about azomite and heavy metals...
Amino chelated salt nutrients seems to me right now best choice for clean cannabis...🤷‍♂️

Damn....few days ago i gave the dose of kelp that i used to give to the soil once x cycle....
Whats the best amino chelated nute?

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

Whats the best amino chelated nute?
ATM im using Megacrop A+B and i cant say nothing bad about it...weightwise and flavorwise...
Last run i didnt even boost the P and i feel like the main buds were bigger , harvested the same amount but i was surprised given the fact that i skipped pruning and the bottoms were full of small nugs,,
Seems that you wana stay out of everthing that is EDTA chelated...
Im actually preferring it to the old one formula version cause im starting to think that dosing the plants each time with chitosan is not the best....

Top Bottom