Companion Plants??

• Thread starter BakedasBeans
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

Hey farmers. I know that some plants can be bennificial in the way that they repell certain pests. I was wondering if it would be worth putting some of these in various places in my indoor garden to try and prevent problems early on?? And if so which kinds of plants would you reccomend? Thank you!

420Gator

420Gator

good question. I havent heard of this practice indoors but it makes sense

devious d

devious d

Garlic, but make sure from sterile source, the mites hate it wouldnt say you not goner get em but it helps, my pal swears by it and he never has mites and got a couple myself but had sprayed minewith plant vitality + anyway:)

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Asparagus ... You can use them for bud support stakes.

BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

Thanks for the resposes guys! With the garlic would I plant it in its own container?? Or in with my plants?? Thanks tobor, thats a good idea I wouldnt have thought of that. and it makes for a nice snack when your done haha. Would that have any effect on bugs or just mainly for branch support?

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
I was goofing off. Asparagus is very pest free as far as bugs but I don't think they keep bugs away.

I was wondering one time about using cedar wood to make a grow box because cedar closets and cedar chests keep bugs away.

chrysanthemum

Pyrethrum refers to several Old World plants of the genus Chrysanthemum (e.g., C. coccineum) which are cultivated as ornamentals for their showy flower heads. Pyrethrum is also the name of a natural insecticide made from the dried flower heads of C. cinerariifolium and C. coccineum.

sedate

sedate

I have a cactus in my growroom.

I don't think it does anything.

But I like it.

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

I've always been told never to have pet plants in a grow room as they tend to attract pests, but I know of some herbs that have some great companion planting properties that I've always been curious to try indoors.

I know Dill is used as a repellent for aphids and spider mites. I use them as a companion to my cucumber plants.

Marigold, Oregano, and Nasturnium help repel whiteflies.

Basil and Garlic can help repel thrips. I use Basil and Oregano as companions to my tomatoes.

Borage is also supposed to be a great companion plant in warding off various pests, as well as adding potassium and calcium to the soil. I just throw these seeds all over my vegetable garden.

I'm not sure if planting any of these in the same container as your cannabis is wise or not, if they would even grow properly under HPS lights, or even whether they would be welcome at all,
but it would be a great smelling beautiful little jungle in there.

Is there anybody that has any actual experience with this? :bug

BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

Haha nice one tobor, Ive never gown asparagus so i thought it just might get tall enough lol my bad. Would it help at all then if i put some cedar chips on top of my soil? Most of the pest problems ive had are root bugs, but if i did this would cedar wood have any affect on the PH of my soil?? I would also be curious if anyone has any firsthand experience with this. Thanks for all the suggestions guys! keep em comming

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
I don't know the answer to that one BakedasBeans. I will have to research the ph of cedar. But you could just try putting them in the grow room or under the pots the plants are in. I never tried it but have often thought about it.

BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

Hmmm ill look around for that info too. But that sounds like a good application as well. If the bugs cant get to the container they cant get to the plant. I think I will give this a shot and see how it works since it cant hurt. Thanks tobor!

D

dican01

pretty sure this is an outdoor idea. there are some books on the subject. a good one is "carrots love tomatoes" by louise riotte. it does not mention cannabis.

devious d

devious d

have used garlic in my home made spider mite sprays, im looking for the book i read about it being good for companion growing "european cannabis cultivation" i think will check

BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

Hey tobor, I read that cedar will bring the ph down in water/soil and I also read that it has oils in that come out in water so wouldnt the oil choke out the roots if used as a top dress? I still think that I am going to try and use it as a layer around the base of my pots like you suggested though.

F

FFMang

cannabis used to (maybe it still is) planted among cabbage and other brassicas to repel the cabbage moth --- apparently the aroma is what did it.

marigolds, can repel bugs, but are susceptible to mold on the stems.

tobacco -- this is possibly the only use full one.... you can make your own insecticidal sprays (nicotine) for your plants.

let me see if i can dig up an article i read recently...

F

FFMang

nvm i cant find it now...

the basic jist; plants communicate through their roots (among other ways). outdoors, 1 cannabis plant will not do as well as a patch of 5-10 cannabis plants.
they kind of 'tell' eachother 'hey man, i'm here"
"yah me too!"
"ok great, looks like we've got enough plants to actually survive and thrive here! lets do it!"

....not in so many words, of course :)

one plant in a pot will not be as happy as 5 plants in a pot that is 5x bigger ---- i'm sure this applies indoors as well.

my cannabis plants Outdoors do alot better when they have neighbors....

BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

Thanks FF, How do you make your nicotine spray, is there a certain dilution rate or is it not toxic at allfor the plants? Ya that makes a lot of sense, I can see how they would do better in groups. And plants do communicate in odd ways, I saw documentary that showed how lima bean plants as well as others communicated by scent.

A

AlienBoyD7

Do Not Use Nicotine on Cannabis!!! Tabacco harbors viruses that are harmful to cannabis.I have cultivated natural tabacco for years. N. Alata being the best of the psycoactive breeds. N. Rustica another cutivar. The USDA supplies seeds to anyone for reasearch purposes only. I believe the best companion for cannabis is beets and I am thinking of growing them as a companion indoors. Marigolds are another good companion. Most of your garden problems stem from a monoculture, sure you can get away with planting the same crop in the same spot for years ... but it will catch up with you. Some companions are strawberries and onions, tomatoes and basil, beans and corn. But never I repeat never tabacco and cannabis.

MileHighChic

MileHighChic

I know that mint and basil work great outdoors to keep bugs and ants away. It might be a little different to grow these herbs indoors. Marigolds do help keep nematodes out of the soil, too. I would just use natural neem oil to repel bugs and keep powdery mildew away, it works great for me and neem oil is not toxic. I swear by this formula...1 tablespoon neem oil in a quart of water, shake well and spray all over the plant. Makes the leaves nice and shiny, too!

Top Bottom