comparison grow: HPS vs Induction

• Thread starter calbunn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sarlacc

Sarlacc

Just got my quote on the 150 watt version of these lights that are shown in the video and it looks like an excellent deal that even includes a SS shade. Stainless Steel? Has anyone tried these? I can get 3 of these and stay at 450 watts for a lot less $$ than an inda-gro or igrow light. Seems like the prices are dropping on these babies.

Thanks for your interested in my Grow light lamp.
Yes, I guarranty the reliable effects and high efficient the grow lamp.
The light cover over dia 6m.
As you have seen the movie in Youtube, the owner of green house very
satisfied for my products. They said, some plants grow faster about
25% than normal condition.
It depend on the lighting time and natural conditon.
We developed the grow light lamp which is emit the red color monowave
length band.

Wattage : 150W 110v~ 230v
Color : Red color monowavelength.
Tube : Circle Tube type
Ballast : CB certified 150w
S/S lamp Shade
Delivery date : 10~ 25days (It takes 10 days only before you order it
till 22th , after the delivery days is 25days)

Unit price : US$160.00 / Ex-work in Korea.
It is except the delivery charge.

B. Regards
Andrew H. Lim

Sarlacc

Sarlacc

Found this to be a good looking run on this side by side of Qrazy Train. Should be interesting to see how this turns out.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

1) Isn't Ed Rosenthal a CIA operative or some type of informant?
2) If this is the best tech, someone should tell the best growers because everyone I have ever seen that is doing it professionally uses HID.
3) To me everything about this thread screams guerrilla marketing.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

simple fact: lighting engineers dont use LED technology OR Plasma technology. The day someone lights a highway or a main stage with LEDs will be the day you see other lighting techs successfully used in a commercial horticultural setting. It's not that it's a bad idea - it's just that technology isn't there, yet. No denying LEDs and plasma are the future of illumination, but for real - sodium vapor lighting has been around as long as there has been a demand for streetlamps.

Sarlacc

Sarlacc

I certainly hope he's not a CIA operative. I saw him at the SF Cannabis Cup and he was very accessible promoting his books and a nute line he developed called zero tolerance. The guy's an icon like Jack Herer was.

Large scale growers are adopting LED systems as a supplement to HID to increase flowering and the increase in yields have been dramatic.

If companies like Philips are pushing to improve upon proven technologies like HPS in commercial operations then you would think that it would just be a matter of time before we see some versions of these systems for smaller scale growers. Maybe they'll even develop better induction/plasma systems that use less power and don't need to be replaced as often.

Sarlacc

Sarlacc

That is the problem. I can't point to a single indoor or greenhouse cannabis grow that has yet to utilize this approach. However if you happen to be a member of ASHS you can download the recent article published in ASHS on intracanopy LED towers that were tested in a 5 month trial using HPS as the overhead light source control and HPS/LED as the test garden the results for tomato's yield, time to harvest and energy consumed was exemplary. Here is the abstract: http://horttech.ashspublications.org/content/23/1/93.abstract

If you're not a member the article will cost you $10.00. While I'm not suggesting this is in any way a perfect representation of what one could expect from a cannabis garden if you read the paper, Table 2 should be worthy of any large scale cannabis growers consideration.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

That is the problem. I can't point to a single indoor or greenhouse cannabis grow that has yet to utilize this approach.

thank you. tomatoes are vines. Cannabis is a shrubby tree. Sarlacc, in a couple years all of your thoughts will be validated. But until that time LED and Induction technology (in terms of growing a plant that makes as dense of a fruit cluster as cannabis) just don't have the stuff.

Sarlacc

Sarlacc

So where do you see the improvements being made in two years? More efficient lighting that is tailored to cannabis specific wavelengths? Lights that don't produce all the heat that the current HID systems produce? Maybe a hybrid of LED and Plasma or Induction possibly? I know you don't have a crystal ball but what do you think will be different in two years?

Sarlacc

Sarlacc

Here's a video that shows micromole measurements between a 1000 watt HPS and a 400 watt induction. IMO more manufacturers need to be posting this kind of information.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

So where do you see the improvements being made in two years? More efficient lighting that is tailored to cannabis specific wavelengths? Lights that don't produce all the heat that the current HID systems produce? Maybe a hybrid of LED and Plasma or Induction possibly? I know you don't have a crystal ball but what do you think will be different in two years?

I see the light penetration getting deeper, the LEDs having more individual power, the plasma technology getting stronger. As you can see in the video you posted, the igrow needs to be three times closer to the canopy than the HID. I'd like to see what the falloff for the induction hood is past 6 inches, seeing as how a canopy at least a foot deep is required if you are trying to get a yield off your plants, and it was barely holding it's numbers at only 6 inches away.

Also - they picked the absolute worst hid hood to test with - that's the generic aftermodel POS with the cooltube/reflector combo. Worst investment ever made right there - wish I could return them. That hood doesn't even compare to a blockbuster and it's completely laughable when compared to either a traditional cooltube or a wing-style reflector. I seriously get half the yield under those pieces of crap than I do any other hood - there's literally a HOT spot for 24' under the bulb, you can't even have them at an optimal level for the hotspot without frying your tops.

Sarlacc

Sarlacc

I'd like to see what the falloff for the induction hood is past 6 inches, seeing as how a canopy at least a foot deep is required if you are trying to get a yield off your plants, and it was barely holding it's numbers at only 6 inches away.

That concerned me too since it was not an equal spacing of lamp to canopy between the fixtures. Also in the video that keep referring to the measurement as a PAR measurement they're taking not a micromole reading. Maybe I'm being picky but that seems fundamental unless that is an accepted industry variation.

Here's a day 25 update on the Qrazy Train run. Combining the LED/Plasma has shown a noticeable difference on the right side than from the control plants on the left side of the tent.

A

avi senders

go igrow! once u spend the money u get it right back. your bills r less, your light quality and overall fixture is better. the quality of the yield is better. Also the company behind it is legit, giving u a five year warranty on the fixture, bulb and ballast. I have it and got three buddies on it. they had the same problems, low income and havnt seen the finished product in hand, until i finished my cycle, they were impressed and they got one sometime after that and have no regrets

A

avi senders

igrow induction is better than any other induction light out there to date and can easily compare to or if ur good at what u do, be better than the HPS 1000w. go to growwithinduction.com. im puttin my stuff on there soon but there like 3 or 4 examples os side to side igrow hps comparisons.

Sarlacc

Sarlacc

I went to the growwithinduction.com site and saw it's an entire blog devoted to igrow lights. There aren't any other brand induction comparisons going there which is what I was hoping to see. Also the moderator put a 400 watt light on the ground facing up which I find odd since you can burn the leaf tissue that way and the chlorophyll receptors are on the tops of the leaves not the underside. just sayin

Latest posts

Top Bottom