Container size

• Thread starter Shamanfarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shamanfarmer

What pot sizes are you guys using?

I'm currently growing in Pro Mix HP under 1000 hps lighting. I'm growing the plants up to about 1'-1.5' tall and 2'-2.5' in circumferance (trying to get flat table like plant growth). I have been using 10-18 gallon size pots and am wondering if i might get better results in smaller pots because they are only needing water about once every week. Any info is greatly appreciated.

M

mrbong73

Shamanfarmer
You could look into the smart pot product. I use the 3 gal size and it works great for plants that size. They hold the same amount of soil as a 5 gal nursery pot.
Good luck
mrb

S

Shamanfarmer

Thanks mrbong for your reply. Those pots look very promising, i'm going to pick a couple up today to try out.

Anybody else? There have to be other people on this site that use pots. what sizes do you use?

S

Shredder

I use 7 gallon smart pots in a scrog 30 inches from the ground high, each plant fills up a little less than 2 sq ft. I water every three to four days. The plants usually give me 4 zips give or take, under 600W, so I'm happy, but then it's not a business for me either.....shredder

U

Udyana Peace

What pot sizes are you guys using?

I'm currently growing in Pro Mix HP under 1000 hps lighting. I'm growing the plants up to about 1'-1.5' tall and 2'-2.5' in circumferance (trying to get flat table like plant growth). I have been using 10-18 gallon size pots and am wondering if i might get better results in smaller pots because they are only needing water about once every week. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Shamanfarmer

I began using the product whose name has morphed into "SmartPots' since the mid-80's for growing saplings. Mostly exotic versions of Japanese Lace Maples. I've stuck with them through their various incarnations/names and in spite of some 'nits that I might pick' they remain my choice for growing any number of plants - medicinal cannabis included.

Used correctly and effectively I achieve the medicine and quantity that I need for a very small garden.

I grow 4 plants in #5 SmartPots using a soil blend I make up. I'm happy with the results. I've grown in both #7 and #10 size pots and while there was/is a benefit there are other factors that made these larger sized containers something I couldn't deal with - like the weight when having to move them around.

I grow what I need and I'm not concerned about paying the mortgage or taxes so my approach probably isn't all that common, i.e. as long as I have enough medicine in jars I'm happy.

HTH

UP

M

mrbong73

The way the velcro tape works for LST is reason enough to use the smart pots IMO. Not to mention all the things that went into the design.

S

Shamanfarmer

Thanks for the info guys. I picked up 2 each of the 3 7 and 10 smart pots. After all my reading i'm thinking these are going to be my answer. Cant really know till i've tried them of course, but they look very promising. Just the fact they they promote a much more natural and efficient root structure alone will make a huge difference i think. the more even drying will also help tremendously, i think.

S

Shredder

I grow what I need and I'm not concerned about paying the mortgage or taxes so my approach probably isn't all that common, i.e. as long as I have enough medicine in jars I'm happy.

That is my case as well. I flower 4 plants at a time. And one or two cycles gives me enough to last throughout the year. I guess this means i'm a light weight, or my system works, either way, this allows me to take off each late summer and fall for non mj related things. I love growing mj, but hate being tied down to the farm. I have an establised loose network of fellow growers, that I can always hit up for a clone or three, like most of us I suppose. So I think you/me are not all that uncommon, but that does not generate much buzz in these forums.........shredder

C

casualmeds

I've tried a few different sizes as well for those size plants and have to agree with the 3 gal smartpots for ease of use, but also like the results using 5 gal plastic pots and the BOG transplant method of stacking a 1 gal starter pot on the top with the bottom cut out of it. No transplant shock and the added depth for the roots seems to make a big difference.

U

Udyana Peace

That is my case as well. I flower 4 plants at a time. And one or two cycles gives me enough to last throughout the year. I guess this means i'm a light weight, or my system works, either way, this allows me to take off each late summer and fall for non mj related things. I love growing mj, but hate being tied down to the farm. I have an establised loose network of fellow growers, that I can always hit up for a clone or three, like most of us I suppose. So I think you/me are not all that uncommon, but that does not generate much buzz in these forums.........shredder

I also grow 4 plants as it seems to be the best number in one of the grow tents.

Have you looked into the Tropf Blumat watering systems for your garden? I started using them last spring and it's pretty nice to be able to leave for several days and not be concerned about watering your plants.

These devices are non-electrical and because of how they are designed and how they function, it wouldn't matter that you were growing different strains which might have different watering requirements or let's say that you're doing a perpetual garden and the plants will be using water at different rates depending on where they're at in the flower cycle, the Tropf Blumat system will feed the correct amount of water as per that specific plant's needs.

Not the Blumat Jr. but the Tropf Blumat product.

One other thing about using the auto-pruning products (like SmartPots) is that in the summer months the aeration to the root zone will keep the roots in better health by lowering the actual soil temperature than if you were using the standard lipped-rim nursery pots.

HTH

UP

S

Shredder

I have not looked into any auto watering system as of yet. I am OK for 4 days now (7 gallon smart pots) with a good drenching, and i could extend that with those cones that screw onto water/soda bottles. I have some but have never used them yet.

My "grow tent" is a homemade insulated grow box that is in my uninsulated, unheated garage. I duct in warm air from my house, exhaust through the roof, and regulate temps with fans, intake sources, and a small heater. I provide intake air from the garage, outside the garage, my house, or my crawl space when it gets hot outside. So large temp swings require fairly close observation, and manuvering to keep it dialed in. So a few days at a time are no problem, longer though and it could be.

But what I'm talking about is going on RV vacations for several weeks or a month at a time. Were retired with few shcedule conflicts, and we have a pop up camper that we like to pull around. And like I eluded to, i grow plenty, based on our consumption. My wife uses less than I spill, so we together might go through a couple of oz including medibles, concentrates and so on, per month. And i pull around 14-16 oz per grow, give or take. And I am not all that comfortable going commercial. So in my case it works out well.

One more thing, in a weak attempt to bring this back on topic, I have noticed gallon for gallon, smart pots allow me to feed heavier that hard sided pots. (more roots?) Is that your observation as well?.......shredder

U

Udyana Peace

shredder

I can't give you much of an answer on the feeding paradigm. I'm pretty much a 'water only' grower. About the only thing I apply separate from the Blumat system is 1x per week I apply aloe vera extract/gel, pure fulvic acid with a chelated mineral product (the Big 7), seaweed extract and liquid silica to the soil. That's pretty much it.

One thing that is nice about the SmartPots product is that if you go to a mainstream nursery and purchase a roll of horticulture Velcro tape you'll have a inexpensive way to train your plants as the Velcro sticks to the exterior wall of the pot.

Once you secure it around the branch(es) you want to bend or train then you simply run the Velcro down to the pot and cut it long enough to reach the bottom of the pot and secure the tape up to the top of the pot.

Sound weird but it works. The Velcro tape is less than $4.00 for 75' (by 1/2" wide).

Nice if you're growing sativa or sativa-dominant strains.

UP

M

mrbong73

shredder

I can't give you much of an answer on the feeding paradigm. I'm pretty much a 'water only' grower. About the only thing I apply separate from the Blumat system is 1x per week I apply aloe vera extract/gel, pure fulvic acid with a chelated mineral product (the Big 7), seaweed extract and liquid silica to the soil. That's pretty much it.

One thing that is nice about the SmartPots product is that if you go to a mainstream nursery and purchase a roll of horticulture Velcro tape you'll have a inexpensive way to train your plants as the Velcro sticks to the exterior wall of the pot.

Once you secure it around the branch(es) you want to bend or train then you simply run the Velcro down to the pot and cut it long enough to reach the bottom of the pot and secure the tape up to the top of the pot.

Sound weird but it works. The Velcro tape is less than $4.00 for 75' (by 1/2" wide).

Nice if you're growing sativa or sativa-dominant strains.

UP

Exhibit A

420somehow

I use 3g, though I still will run 1g & 3g bags, 1-5g pots. I do have bills to pay haha. 10-18g of soil for 4 oz is a lot. I can easily get a 4 oz plant in a 5g pot, or a 3g smart pot(equivilant). BOG sounds worth trying.

Top Bottom