Converting a shipping container to underground grow space

• Thread starter JustGrowWithIt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AmokNewb

AmokNewb

How do you plan on running water to this grow? I was thinking pex line from the house to an RO that auto fills a nice big fresh water barrel. I use a stacked horizontal barrel system for my aquariums. Top is fresh and bottom is salt water. Top barrel is alway full fed from the RO.

JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

How do you plan on running water to this grow? I was thinking pex line from the house to an RO that auto fills a nice big fresh water barrel. I use a stacked horizontal barrel system for my aquariums. Top is fresh and bottom is salt water. Top barrel is alway full fed from the RO.
I actually just planned to split off of my supply line of RO water that is in crawlspace which goes to our refrigerator. Simple solution.

30roll

30roll

Venting will be paramount.. I'm curious on how you will calculate inlet /outlet sizes and vent fans..

JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

Venting will be paramount.. I'm curious on how you will calculate inlet /outlet sizes and vent fans..
I've got a cloudline T6 so I should be good with the cfm's that thing pushes in relation to my square footage. If you look on my design those cylinders connecting the rooms will be passive vents that should zig zag between rooms.

30roll

30roll

There's no way in hell 1-6" fan will move enough air for a 20' container..
I have 2-6" cloudlines in series for 800cfm and they have trouble maintaining 83 degrees in a 4x8 tent in a 70 degree basement.. I have 4 LED lights and a 1000 sqft dehumidifier that imparts heat into the tent but it's the only way to achieve lower humidity..

Filters are a huge restriction. 1 little 6" inlet filter is a joke.. I have 1-6" plus 4-8" carbon filters and the tent will go into vacuum when the fans come on..

A hobby setup is for tents. I would do a house setup with a real furnace blower that moves real air that's controlled with a regular living room thermostat and a furnace type filter you could get at lowes.. Grow room controllers can power a real blower type fan too and can be programmed to activate with your humidity settings.
Go all the way man, it's only money!

JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

There's no way in hell 1-6" fan will move enough air for a 20' container..
I have 2-6" cloudlines in series for 800cfm and they have trouble maintaining 83 degrees in a 4x8 tent in a 70 degree basement.. I have 4 LED lights and a 1000 sqft dehumidifier that imparts heat into the tent but it's the only way to achieve lower humidity..

Filters are a huge restriction. 1 little 6" inlet filter is a joke.. I have 1-6" plus 4-8" carbon filters and the tent will go into vacuum when the fans come on..

A hobby setup is for tents. I would do a house setup with a real furnace blower that moves real air that's controlled with a regular living room thermostat and a furnace type filter you could get at lowes.. Grow room controllers can power a real blower type fan too and can be programmed to activate with your humidity settings.
Go all the way man, it's only money!
Haha you can always make more money!
Yeah man since it will be locked in under a new pour concrete pad I need to be sure and have enough venting beforehand. I REALLY need this thing to go unknown, my family would all turn their backs on me if they knew, well maybe not one of my sisters but hey.

I know someone's gonna say F them and do me but end of the day its fam and if I can take steps to keep things kosher then I will pursue that route.

I mean we are only talking about 160sf, I need to look some stuff up on just what I need to service that.

For lights I have really been wanting to go the LED route, maybe some Timber 8's, possibly something from SF, heck I even considered gavita, but dang its expensive to get the amount I would
need to light my whole operation.

JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

If you run a pair of 12 inch ducts around the outside of the container and then back in on the other side, you can pump air thru it and it will come out cooler. A dehumidifier should set your RH easily.
What material duct are you referring to?

iX_Lazy_Xi

iX_Lazy_Xi

Haha you can always make more money!
Yeah man since it will be locked in under a new pour concrete pad I need to be sure and have enough venting beforehand. I REALLY need this thing to go unknown, my family would all turn their backs on me if they knew, well maybe not one of my sisters but hey.

I know someone's gonna say F them and do me but end of the day its fam and if I can take steps to keep things kosher then I will pursue that route.

I mean we are only talking about 160sf, I need to look some stuff up on just what I need to service that.

For lights I have really been wanting to go the LED route, maybe some Timber 8's, possibly something from SF, heck I even considered gavita, but dang its expensive to get the amount I would
need to light my whole operation.
You need cubic feet not square feet for ventilation.

8' x 20' x 8.5' = 1360 cubic feet minimum

Excited to watch this build out

JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

You need cubic feet not square feet for ventilation.

8' x 20' x 8.5' = 1360 cubic feet minimum

Excited to watch this build out
My gosh, right you are.
I can't believe my oversight on this one.

NrthTaylor

NrthTaylor

You're only planning on one fan for your flower space? That doesn't seem like enough personally.

I use a T6 for my 5x5 and with the dehu running I have trouble keeping temps below 85. You're definitely going to need at least a 12" intake and exhaust. Better to go over kill rather than having to run the fan at 100% 24/7. Are you planning to run co2 as well?

JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

I
You're only planning on one fan for your flower space? That doesn't seem like enough personally.

I use a T6 for my 5x5 and with the dehu running I have trouble keeping temps below 85. You're definitely going to need at least a 12" intake and exhaust. Better to go over kill rather than having to run the fan at 100% 24/7. Are you planning to run co2 as well?
I am still a relatively new grower so I had not planned to get into co2 as of yet.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I don't think you will have an issue cooling it down. I think you will have issues getting it hot enough.

Top Bottom