Converting a shipping container to underground grow space

• Thread starter JustGrowWithIt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Og_punkgenetics

Og_punkgenetics

I've got a 20ft unit which will be heavily braced on the inside with 4inch channel.
Entrance will be through a hatch in the ceiling.
Venting, plumbing, the works really.
I think by being in ground I'm going to really have great success at keeping temps and humidity in line. Unit will soon be ready. Completely waterproofed and I will have a concrete pad above it directing water away.
What are your thought?
I did that about 10 years ago, it is very good for keeping temperature stable. Low AC costs comparatively to what I have now. I used a split heatpump for ac but instead of a standard air handler i used 2 low flow floral evaporators, it was a really good set up. I used a condensate pump to pump out condensate and dehue water and a sump to pump out runoff. You're gonna love it

JJS009

JJS009

You gonna build flower boxes or something to hide the intake and exhaust?

JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

I did that about 10 years ago, it is very good for keeping temperature stable. Low AC costs comparatively to what I have now. I used a split heatpump for ac but instead of a standard air handler i used 2 low flow floral evaporators, it was a really good set up. I used a condensate pump to pump out condensate and dehue water and a sump to pump out runoff. You're gonna love it
I figure im going to end up with more room than I know what to do with. Going to be a lot of fun but also a lot to take care of.

JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

I am starting to prepare my order for lights.
My plan is four 480W 3000k QB's for my flower room. 8x8 Room
Two 480W 4000k QB's for veg room, with supplemental reds. 4x8Room
My clone room I will just use a four bulb T5 6500k. 4x5 room
Then lastly my mother room will be one 320W 4000k QB. 4x3 Room

JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

1x 240W IP65 waterproof lm301h 4000K: Mother
4x 480W IP65 waterproof lm301h 3000K+CREE XP-E2 660nm+730nm+LG UV: Flower
2x 480W IP65 waterproof lm301h 4000K: Veg

JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

There's no way in hell 1-6" fan will move enough air for a 20' container..
I have 2-6" cloudlines in series for 800cfm and they have trouble maintaining 83 degrees in a 4x8 tent in a 70 degree basement.. I have 4 LED lights and a 1000 sqft dehumidifier that imparts heat into the tent but it's the only way to achieve lower humidity..

Filters are a huge restriction. 1 little 6" inlet filter is a joke.. I have 1-6" plus 4-8" carbon filters and the tent will go into vacuum when the fans come on..

A hobby setup is for tents. I would do a house setup with a real furnace blower that moves real air that's controlled with a regular living room thermostat and a furnace type filter you could get at lowes.. Grow room controllers can power a real blower type fan too and can be programmed to activate with your humidity settings.
Go all the way man, it's only money!
I got my cloudline T12 on the way!
Honestly the hardest part recently has been getting a line large enough running to and from the box. I was trying to find 12" pvc but am completely unsuccessful in my area but I think using 12" corrugated culvert should do the trick. I just hate that it is not a smooth interior so the air will be getting disrupted as it passes through. Not sure if this will be a factor or not.

Rooke

Rooke

Could you somehow test it out above ground in the same configuration as you plan to build underground? It may have way more resistance than smooth pipe will have? Just throwing ideas out there for you not trying to be critical I want to see you succeed buddy big time!!!

JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

Could you somehow test it out above ground in the same configuration as you plan to build underground? It may have way more resistance than smooth pipe will have? Just throwing ideas out there for you not trying to be critical I want to see you succeed buddy big time!!!
I'm not sure what to do otherwise. They may make a corrugated pipe with smooth internal walls. But pvc is for sure a no go unless I drop some serious coin for special order.

JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

It cost me another $50 but I found an option with smooth interior. It's on the way.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

How are you planning on framing the inside? Wiring? Water lines?

tobh

tobh

Supporter
pulling up with some 🍿and the expectation that this thread goes nowhere.

general observations so far:

- big project without clearly defined scope
- problems identified early on with no clear solutions, because of lack of scope
- realizations that lighting, humidity, heat, cooling, ventilation haven't been figured out
- plant count/scale not defined
- trying to be discrete yet massive hole in the ground

looks like a trainwreck and likely a dead thread in a month, but signing up for the show. godspeed to OP, just hope lessons are learned and a successful end comes from the means expended.

Latest posts

Top Bottom