Converting a shipping container to underground grow space

• Thread starter JustGrowWithIt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I am working on a greenhouse design currently, and Every time I get the thing drawn and printed, he sees something else he wants to do.
There is no way I would dig a hole until I knew exactly what i was going to stick in it and in what order. It's too big of a project because there are a hundred tiny details that make all the difference. You need a written plan.

On the other hand, my uncle would begin digging before he had the plans. He dug basements for a living. Him, I've seen do stuff, but he has eons of experience.

JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

pulling up with some 🍿and the expectation that this thread goes nowhere.

general observations so far:

- big project without clearly defined scope
- problems identified early on with no clear solutions, because of lack of scope
- realizations that lighting, humidity, heat, cooling, ventilation haven't been figured out
- plant count/scale not defined
- trying to be discrete yet massive hole in the ground

looks like a trainwreck and likely a dead thread in a month, but signing up for the show. godspeed to OP, just hope lessons are learned and a successful end comes from the means expended.
-Lighting is in the mail
-Humidity factor is TBD, either need a dehu or humidifier which can easily be installed but will not know until the box is fully installed
-12" cloudline fan and ducting is on order which will be routed into the crawlspace (840 cf will end up being total area dedicated to plants, the remaining 200 cf will be separated workspace )
- plant count will start small and scale as I gain experience
- I live in the country and have a singular neighbor on my side of the street up a ways from me so discretion on the install does not concern me.

This thread contains quite a few answers already to your concerns but some cannot be answered until the project is complete. Won't know how Temps/humidity act until it's actually in the ground. That's really the only unknown for me. But I've got the skills and equipment to do just about anything I want to modify my grow space.

Cheers and enjoy the ride.
I'm eager to get it placed.

JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

I am working on a greenhouse design currently, and Every time I get the thing drawn and printed, he sees something else he wants to do.
There is no way I would dig a hole until I knew exactly what i was going to stick in it and in what order. It's too big of a project because there are a hundred tiny details that make all the difference. You need a written plan.

On the other hand, my uncle would begin digging before he had the plans. He dug basements for a living. Him, I've seen do stuff, but he has eons of experience.
I'm a big K.I S.S. guy (Keep It Simple Stupid)😛

All I am worried about is getting water, electric, and venting to my unit and it's off to the races.

the rrock

the rrock

please do keep us updated, ive got somme grow buddies who have the same setup with 4-20'containers inline,I helped with the exhaust fans and ventilation.They didnt realize the moisture and dampness aspect until after it was done,did some custom S/M work for them around the penetrations,basically overkill to make sure it was gonna draw in water within times of neg pressure,what previous guy said if theres water it will find a way in

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Didn’t read the entire thread but you better design a hell of a sump with a main pump and a backup before you even put the container down. Use concrete footings at least 48” deep to set it on.

Personally I’d stay above ground and insulate the piss out of it. Stack bales of wheat straw around it and over it. Make the thing waterproof all the way around.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Make an Arctic entryway. An anteroom. I live in Interior Alaska where it gets pretty cool in winter. This is what I would do personally.

Moshmen

Moshmen

please do keep us updated, ive got somme grow buddies who have the same setup with 4-20'containers inline,I helped with the exhaust fans and ventilation.They didnt realize the moisture and dampness aspect until after it was done,did some custom S/M work for them around the penetrations,basically overkill to make sure it was gonna draw in water within times of neg pressure,what previous guy said if theres water it will find a way in
Hey rock haven’t seen ya around it a bit. Glad to hear from ya
Happy grows
Mosh

JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

I thought about using a fog machine inside for like 30 minutes then pressurizing the container to find any leaks after waterproofing

JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

Didn’t read the entire thread but you better design a hell of a sump with a main pump and a backup before you even put the container down. Use concrete footings at least 48” deep to set it on.

Personally I’d stay above ground and insulate the piss out of it. Stack bales of wheat straw around it and over it. Make the thing waterproof all the way around.
Water accumulation has definitely been a factor I am expecting to deal with. When I shot grade I've got just over 1% in my pit so I can be sure it accumulates away from my plants into my work area. I've got a pump here ready to go.

As for a footing. Having been in the construction industry my whole life I didn't see it as necessary considering my region. Frost won't be a factor, what has potential to he an issue is the unit floating up but I've got plans already for that. Driving 30" anchors on all four corners that I then tether to.
Also I'm going to weld 1' brackets 4' apart all down the outside so after I fill it all in they too will be held in place by the surrounding clay.

If we were neighbors we could build one heck of a grow op together 😆

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Water accumulation has definitely been a factor I am expecting to deal with. When I shot grade I've got just over 1% in my pit so I can be sure it accumulates away from my plants into my work area. I've got a pump here ready to go.

As for a footing. Having been in the construction industry my whole life I didn't see it as necessary considering my region. Frost won't be a factor, what has potential to he an issue is the unit floating up but I've got plans already for that. Driving 30" anchors on all four corners that I then tether to.
Also I'm going to weld 1' brackets 4' apart all down the outside so after I fill it all in they too will be held in place by the surrounding clay.

If we were neighbors we could build one heck of a grow op together 😆
Living in country with frequent earthquakes I’m probably too deep into securing anything from lateral movement.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I started waterproofing today.
Coat one of three applied.
I found this product at a local hardware store, seems to he just what i need. The unit used to be blue and green.
Good stuff. You going to lift the matson and spray the bottom?

JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

Good stuff. You going to lift the matson and spray the bottom?
So the bottom actually is where most of the strength is. I will be flipping the unit upside down, waterproofing it and then filling the channels with concrete and waterproofing it again. There are beams that run short ways maybe 1 foot apart in the current floor so doing this is the best way to bury a shipping container. Other guys didn't go as far as filling the channels with concrete but I will be doing so.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

So the bottom actually is where most of the strength is. I will be flipping the unit upside down, waterproofing it and then filling the channels with concrete and waterproofing it again. There are beams that run short ways maybe 1 foot apart in the current floor so doing this is the best way to bury a shipping container. Other guys didn't go as far as filling the channels with concrete but I will be doing so.
Grew up in a blacksmith and welding shop. Working as did my younger brother. Pop didn’t hire anyone during summer. Repairing farm equipment and building Class III custom hitches.

Later in life I modified a Harley frame for a shop. It was not my first work for them. The guy picking it up “Damn. You and Mickey do everything like it’s on a damned battleship.”

Do it right the first time. Keep going. You and I could work together I’m sure.

JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

Grew up in a blacksmith and welding shop. Working as did my younger brother. Pop didn’t hire anyone during summer. Repairing farm equipment and building Class III custom hitches.

Later in life I modified a Harley frame for a shop. It was not my first work for them. The guy picking it up “Damn. You and Mickey do everything like it’s on a damned battleship.”

Do it right the first time. Keep going. You and I could work together I’m sure.
I've never understood why people cut their work short. It always ends up costing more time and money doing it the cheap and fast way, always. I understand on certain levels of knowledge, like my thinking initially a little T6 would be all the venting I need. But I didn't hesitate to order $750 worth of material just to get sufficient airflow.
Always ask peers for insight because no one person already had all the answers and knowledge. That's whats great about this community.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

A saying from the Army:
"There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over."

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
You could use an air well and an underground storage tank for water.
Connect the tank directly thru the wall.
Seems like one of these could possibly be constructed out of a simple solar panel and a cheap air pump. You could likely build one with some junk you have laying around and approximately $50 in supplies... ie. PVC pipe... The water seer looks like a scam from where I stand, unfortunately. It's mindboggling that a good idea's like these (that can solve real world problems) are hijacked by greedy fucks simply out to make a buck.

It's a good idea, but only feasible in humid or at best, semi-arid climates. But certainly not worth $1,500 a pop....

Latest posts

Top Bottom