• Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DopeSnob

Soiltest   Copy

D

DopeSnob

@jumpincactus @leadsled
Some how the wormgold and/or the grow stones sent my ph thru the roof! i wonder if the fact it was in a sealed zip lock bag for 2 or so weeks had an effect on it... could also be the 10% biochar..

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
@jumpincactus @leadsled
Some how the wormgold and/or the grow stones sent my ph thru the roof! i wonder if the fact it was in a sealed zip lock bag for 2 or so weeks had an effect on it... could also be the 10% biochar..
Of course this will fukk with ur Ph bro. If memory serves, bio-char is best used when it is allowed to weather in the soil / or compost pile enviro a bit to give all the herd and high Ph due to it being alkaline a chance to stabilize.

I could be wrong so I will have to rummage to find the studies and data concerning the efficacy of bio-char. If I can find I will post.

If your going to use bio char without it seasoning in the soil before use you will have to adjust your source water for higher Ph to bring it down. Hope this helps.

D

DopeSnob

and thats from the 1:1:1 humus/premier peat/grow stones
Of course this will fukk with ur Ph bro. If memory serves, bio-char is best used when it is allowed to weather in the soil / or compost pile enviro a bit to give all the herd and high Ph due to it being alkaline a chance to stabilize.

I could be wrong so I will have to rummage to find the studies and data concerning the efficacy of bio-char. If I can find I will post.

If your going to use bio char without it seasoning in the soil before use you will have to adjust your source water for higher Ph to bring it down. Hope this helps.
i mixed 1 Part of malibu with 2 parts of WG and then i added the "1 part" of biochar(was more like 3/4) lightly watered and lett it sit for a week, turned it once. Then added that and worms into the main mix, let sit for 2-3 weeks then had it tested. Guess it wasnt sufficient to activate it. Could it be that the biochar i got was shit? Was more or less black powder. Ive heard that the thicker is better but cant source it. Anythoughts on admendments?

Organikz

Organikz

Get an AACT or a compost slurry in there. I'd feed one once a week. I'm not too keen on growstones. Pumice is your ticket to a neutral pH.

Last edited:
D

DopeSnob

Get an AACT or a compost slurry in there. I'd feed one once a week. I'm not too keen on growstones. Pumice is your ticket to a neutral pH.
I've not seen anything on grow stones raising ph but was making a list of possiblities. Wish i had pumice avalible. Quite possible that ill have access in the future, with a lil work and a trip.
I was Thinking about giving it fulvic and aloe to help lower it but its unamended as well. adding some neem/karanja should help a lil. Dont kno what i can do about adding kelp being the potasium is so high. The worms seam a lil lazy but theres a healthly population.

D

DopeSnob

my best bet is probably go with the kis type ratios. so + 2/3rds peat and 1/3 aeration. i can get heavy as all hell lava rock, so that'll prob be my aeration addition. hopefully that'll level out some of these excesses im seeing.

Last edited:
Organikz

Organikz

Yah I was going to say more peat moss will help. Once you feel like it's balanced I would run a cover crop. I run annual ryegrass and clover. It also tells me where i stand on nitrogen. More clover means lower nitrogen. More rye grass means nitrogen is higher.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
It also has a better CEC (cation exchange capacity) meaning it can hold more cations.
anything with a clay base has some of the best CEC levels. However organic soils naturally occuring such as muck in swamps has the highest CEC levels

When you compare the CEC levels for different types of organic and inorganic soils and media, clay typically has the best CEC out of everything. Which is what organic soil/muck in comprised of.

CEC in
Soil groups Examples meg/100g
-----------------------------------------------
Light colored sands Plainfield 3-5
Bloomfield

Dark colored sands Maumee 10-20
Gilford

Light colored loams and Clermont-Miami 10-20
silt loams Miami

Dark colored loams and Sidell 15-25
silt loams Gennesee

Dark colored silty clay Pewamo 30-40
loams and silty clays Hoytville

Organic soils Carlisle muck 50-100
-------------------------------------------------

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/ay/ay-238.html

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
and thats from the 1:1:1 humus/premier peat/grow stones

i mixed 1 Part of malibu with 2 parts of WG and then i added the "1 part" of biochar(was more like 3/4) lightly watered and lett it sit for a week, turned it once. Then added that and worms into the main mix, let sit for 2-3 weeks then had it tested. Guess it wasnt sufficient to activate it. Could it be that the biochar i got was shit? Was more or less black powder. Ive heard that the thicker is better but cant source it. Anythoughts on admendments?
Yup, worm casting, compost, compost slurry, aact's, insect frass, anything you add is a help to inoculate the inner openings in the bio char. And yes depending on where you sourced your BC and how they mfgred it can play a big part in your final product.

Organikz

Organikz

Don't go forgetting the fungi. I always do a MBP top dress and fulvic/aloe/silica to water in. I like to see a little fuzz. Mycellium is your friend.

I'm trying shredded hardwood mulch for more fungi cultures. I want mushrooms growing lol.

@jumpincactus I want to correct. I use red lava rock. 10-30. It would bring your pH down. I was talking overall soil CEC. I take a sledgehammer to my lavarock. Would you agree due to smaller particle size? It creates a better tilth I would think.

Last edited:
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Don't go forgetting the fungi. I always do a MBP top dress and fulvic/aloe/silica to water in. I like to see a little fuzz. Mycellium is your friend.

I'm trying shredded hardwood mulch for more fungi cultures. I want mushrooms growing lol.

@jumpincactus I want to correct. I use red lava rock. 10-30. It would bring your pH down. I was talking overall soil CEC. I take a sledgehammer to my lavarock. Would you agree due to smaller particle size? It creates a better tilth I would think.
I am inclined to think based on all the reads that tilth is more a result of the right organic matter added to the mix. But you could be right. Thanks for clarifying the substrate.

My compost pile has lots of mycellium for sure. Fungi is one of our friends!!!

Organikz

Organikz

I am inclined to think based on all the reads that tilth is more a result of the right organic matter added to the mix. But you could be right. Thanks for clarifying the substrate.

My compost pile has lots of mycellium for sure. Fungi is one of our friends!!!
right on brothah. my compost pile is a noob.

Organikz

Organikz

Quick way to make a compost concentrate. You'll want to use 24hr bubbled water. The microbes can absorb chlorimine but they'll take a hit if you go straight from the tap.

1. Fill a quart mason jar half way with compost or ewc.
  2. Mix a separate cup with 1 cup water with 1/4 cup coconut water and fulvic acid (whatever your brand calls for)
  3. Combine them and shake the hell out of it until it's a runny sludge
  4. Get a watering can, sprayer, or whatever you use ready with a gallon of water and put a compost tea bag or burlap and strain the liquid in the watering can.
  5. Top dress with the dregs and water it in

D

DopeSnob

Ive used @leadsled's compost extract, sounds similar.... no one make aact anymore?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom