Coot's Mix No Till Soil Help

• Thread starter DopeSnob
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DopeSnob

Hello, thcfarmers! Been growing organically for a long time now but i am new to no-till. been reading up on coot's mix and I was really pleased by the soil tests reported from the South fork coot's mix from rare earth so I'm trying to replicate that. here is what i'm thinking:
10cuft total
3cf premier peat(no added anything, just peat)
3cf grow stones(cant get pumice here)
3cf humus consisting of 2/3 worm gold plus and 1/3 malibu compost
1cf biochar activated with heavy fungal castings(kis) and biorighteous tea
5 cups of 50/50 neem/karajana meal
5 cups crustacean meal
5 cups kelp meal
10 cups glacial rock dust
10 cups basalt
and it gets a little tricky here b/c in the 2.1 cuft of wormgold is 3% each of both Elemite and Kelzyme. All i really can find on the Elemite is that its a sodium-calcium-aluminosilicate, so like bentonite/azomite marketed as better than azomite. the Kelzyme is mined fossilized kelp comes in around 45% calcium carbonate and 30% calcium oxide plus micro nutrients. if calculated by weight it comes to roughly 2.25 cups a bag or 6.75 total for each. So i figure it'll take
3.25 cups oyster shell meal
3.25 cups calcium bentonite(or should i use azomite, as i have it on hand?)
mix it and let it sit for a week or two then send some in for testing to get the right boron/manganese/copper/zinc.
here's some worries i have:
that it's totally crazy that i would mix the stuff then get it tested.. but coot's mix seams tried.. thoughts?
the Ph is gonna be 7.0 or higher so leave out biochar?

Sun Valley

Sun Valley

I think you have the gist of it. How I've done it is just base it off my super soil. Certain things we can't find this side of the world so have to make alternatives. I let mine cook for about a month then it's usually ready to go. The azomite and stuff like that will be come way more effective over time. In my new beds I'm going to start introducing red wrigglers. They will be fed blended fruits and veg frozen in cube form. Just bury a few cubes under the soil and let em eat. My passed run I just watered with a couple of compost and sprout teas. Worked great

D

DopeSnob

that sounds interesting! I plan on doing one SST/aact or extract every week to keep up the biologicals. Probably do a top dress in early flower of humus and a pinch of fish bone meal. Do that untill my cover crop creates a humus layer then just the pinch of fish bone meal. thats at least what i hope. maybe add compost here and there. at the end of the cycle, Pull the plant and all leaves get mulched and thrown back on top. then just put another plant in the whole of the root ball. prob have to re-amend at some point but all threw top dress.

Sun Valley

Sun Valley

malted barley powder is the new sst/aact. i top dress feed about a 1/4 cup per 10g pot every 2 weeks. i water it in w/ fulvic acid/aloe/protekt. coot has updated his feed schedule to this instead of SST and he doesn't do compost tea because of the worms in the container.
So do you brew the malted barley or are you adding it to the soil mix too? I'm searching for diastatic malted barley out here .. came across an organic diastatic malted barley syrup.. wonder if it can be used in a tea

D

DopeSnob

So coot says to only get whole grain malted barely, preferably 6 row(2 will do). Grind in a coffee grinder then top dress or bubbled for no more than 4 hours.
Edit: He also mentions to avoid syrups extracts and go for the full grains. The 6 row vs 2 row is what makes it "diastatic" but coot says that 2 row will work fine.

D

DopeSnob

I dont think there one place its collected. Clackamas coot is/was the guys name at icmag( Banned but maybe back now). 420mag and icmag have looong threads on it. One thread thats at least 1100 pages(2 threads, first closed to reduce server load). Look for Coots living organic soil or LOS. Coots one of the original people introducing this style to the masses.

D

DopeSnob

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...-from-rare-earth-in-grass-valley.71564/page-2 thats one on here disscusing rare earth's coot's mix. Heres the base mix, a lil dated, copied many times direct from coot:
"Equal parts of Sphagnum peat moss, some aeration deal (pumice, rice hulls, lava rock - whatever is sitting in the garage) and finally some mix of humus - my compost, worm castings some black leaf mold I bought from the local 'worm guy'
To each 1 c.f. of this mix I add the following:
1/2 cup organic Neem meal
1/2 cup organic Kelp meal
1/2 cup Crab meal (or Crustacean meal when available - it has Shrimp meal with the Crab meal. It's a local product from the fisheries on the Oregon & Washington Coasts) *
4 cups of some minerals - rock dust

After the plant is in the final container I top-dress with my worm castings at 2" or so and then I hit it with Aloe vera juice and Comfrey extract. Or Borage. Or Stinging Nettle. Or Horsetail ferns. Whatever is ready.

The Rock Dust Recipe
4x - Glacial Rock Dust - Canadian Glacial (Gaia Green label)
1x - Bentonite - from the pottery supply store
1x - Oyster Shell Powder - the standard product from San Francisco Bay
1x - Basalt - from Redmond, Oregon (new product at Concentrates - about $18.00) ."

I believe that this recipe allows for some substitutions and that the biggest thing is to stick to the 1/3 SPM, 1/3 aeration, 1/3 humus and the amendments at the specified ratios. I have seen people (including myself) vary the actually "rock dusts" but don't if you can help it, and certainly don't omit the oyster shell flour in place of something else.

Living organic soil is very rewarding to grow in, give it a try, no one has ever looked back after going this route."

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Hello, thcfarmers! Been growing organically for a long time now but i am new to no-till. been reading up on coot's mix and I was really pleased by the soil tests reported from the South fork coot's mix from rare earth so I'm trying to replicate that. here is what i'm thinking:
10cuft total
3cf premier peat(no added anything, just peat)
3cf grow stones(cant get pumice here)
3cf humus consisting of 2/3 worm gold plus and 1/3 malibu compost
1cf biochar activated with heavy fungal castings(kis) and biorighteous tea
5 cups of 50/50 neem/karajana meal
5 cups crustacean meal
5 cups kelp meal
10 cups glacial rock dust
10 cups basalt
and it gets a little tricky here b/c in the 2.1 cuft of wormgold is 3% each of both Elemite and Kelzyme. All i really can find on the Elemite is that its a sodium-calcium-aluminosilicate, so like bentonite/azomite marketed as better than azomite. the Kelzyme is mined fossilized kelp comes in around 45% calcium carbonate and 30% calcium oxide plus micro nutrients. if calculated by weight it comes to roughly 2.25 cups a bag or 6.75 total for each. So i figure it'll take
3.25 cups oyster shell meal
3.25 cups calcium bentonite(or should i use azomite, as i have it on hand?)
mix it and let it sit for a week or two then send some in for testing to get the right boron/manganese/copper/zinc.
here's some worries i have:
that it's totally crazy that i would mix the stuff then get it tested.. but coot's mix seams tried.. thoughts?
the Ph is gonna be 7.0 or higher so leave out biochar?
I would leave out the azomite and test the soil to see what it needs. I attached soil test results for the premier peat.

You are missing gypsum. Looks like you are not overdoing the oyster shell, which can elevate the ph.

Can reduce the rock dust if using worm gold, since Worm gold is made with rock dust and kelp meal. Azomite can bring aluminum along with other trace minerals so usually use at a lower rate.

Left side of the test is premier peat, right side is with worm gold and malibu compost. Gypsum, soft rock phosphate, crab meal and calcium silicate. Test shows it needs manganese, cobalt, and molybdenum and a lower ph.
No rock dust was added yet the iron is 120ppm.

Screenshot 2017 05 08 100532

Hope that helps. If you get a soil test post it up, can help with the recommendations.

D

DopeSnob

hey leadsled! hoping you'd show up. that malibu/WG mix looks like great compost! can you elaborate more on it? ie: ratios of each and amounts of amendments? was just the other day thinkin that those grokashi/probiotic guys should have a tailored compost instead of just the malibu. It seams like you're just need to add that to the peat & aeration materials and you'd be good.. excluding what you said. Also whats your thoughts on the more recent coot's mix from the grasscity link above?

Last edited:
D

DopeSnob

I would leave out the azomite and test the soil to see what it needs. I attached soil test results for the premier peat.

You are missing gypsum. Looks like you are not overdoing the oyster shell, which can elevate the ph.

Can reduce the rock dust if using worm gold, since Worm gold is made with rock dust and kelp meal. Azomite can bring aluminum along with other trace minerals so usually use at a lower rate.

i did a little research on the kelp meal and rock dust in the WG. they're actually kelplex and elemite. i suppose both could be considered a rd.
Im actually leaning toward not putting any rd in and doing 2-6x the basalt more inline to the current mix. The breakdown from nature's footprint basalt looked nice(they have it on their amazon page)... tho it has a 2/1 cal/mag ratio and the peat looks mag heavy as is... decisions... lol.

Last edited:
Sun Valley

Sun Valley

Hey.. do you think I could substitute oyster shell flour with ground up rock muscles?

Organikz

Organikz

oyster shell flour...dolomitic lime...take your pick...idk though this is getting down to an exact science here...lol...i just say hmmm...worm poop!

Latest posts

Top Bottom