Coot's Mix No Till Soil Help

• Thread starter DopeSnob
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
@DopeSnob You have excess cations that are contributing to high PH. What did you use for lime? Oyster shell flour or ag lime?
Magnesium raises ph 1.6 times more than other cations.
Flush it with Solution Grade Ag Gypsum. Lower the Mg, K and Na and the ph will drop.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Dammit... @leadsled info is like a unicorn fart. It rarely comes around but I try to bag it!
LOL now that thar was funny. Yup ole @leadsled knows his shit. :D

Organikz

Organikz

Shit sir i can tell you have sound advice yourself. I'm sure I'll be picking your brain also. @jumpincactus

D

DopeSnob

Lol i cheat too. +life fungal and bacterial innoculant...haha
I used no lime. I decided to take your advice and just mix up the base soil parts and get that tested. it was just 1part malibu compost, 2 parts wormgold plus, 3 parts premier peat and 2.5 parts growstones .5 part red lava rock and 1(ish) part black owl biochar.

D

DopeSnob

@DopeSnob You have excess cations that are contributing to high PH. What did you use for lime? Oyster shell flour or ag lime?
Magnesium raises ph 1.6 times more than other cations.
Flush it with Solution Grade Ag Gypsum. Lower the Mg, K and Na and the ph will drop.
this was supposed to be the quote i used.

D

DopeSnob

After a lil research i think i fuked up on the GS. Says on their website to wash the stones then soak them in 6.5 ph water for 24hrs to remove "excess calicuim from the manufacuturing process". Like an idiot i Didnt look it up beforehand. I wonder if that exceas calcium didnt really have a bunch of mag in it as well. Seams likely.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
After a lil research i think i fuked up on the GS. Says on their website to wash the stones then soak them in 6.5 ph water for 24hrs to remove "excess calicuim from the manufacuturing process". Like an idiot i Didnt look it up beforehand. I wonder if that exceas calcium didnt really have a bunch of mag in it as well. Seams likely.
How much soil did you mix? 1 cubic foot?

Going to amend it and go or make a new batch?

D

DopeSnob

How much soil did you mix? 1 cubic foot?

Going to amend it and go or make a new batch?
Made 10 cf then split it in half and did a revised coots revised mix in one, and had the other tested. Stuff in the coots mix doing great, bout a week in flower. I'm thinking bout adding 3 cf of peat n 1.5 of red lava rock... maybe some citric acid adjusted waterings and then have er tested again. Flushing would be really extensive but not out of the question... would have to flush ea cu.ft bc its all in a 45 gallon bed right now. Think that i have to flush to fix this?

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Made 10 cf then split it in half and did a revised coots revised mix in one, and had the other tested. Stuff in the coots mix doing great, bout a week in flower. I'm thinking bout adding 3 cf of peat n 1.5 of red lava rock... maybe some citric acid adjusted waterings and then have er tested again. Flushing would be really extensive but not out of the question... would have to flush ea cu.ft bc its all in a 45 gallon bed right now. Think that i have to flush to fix this?
Next time you make a base mix. The best bet is to make a smaller amount. I like to do 1 cubic foot. Test that and then proceed with a larger amount of soil.

Cutting with peat will help drop the levels of all the minerals, if you want to do that and retest.

Otherwise if you got time and space and do not need to use the soil yet. Can get started on fixing it up.

Yes, a flush will help. Drop the ph of the water to and then wash out the excess with solution grade ag gypsum + water to help wash out the excess sodium.

Would be better to start with a base mix with less compost that way the base mix is lower in magnesium potassium sodium. Like you suggested, Cutting with peat will drop the levels. Ideally want to see more Ca and less Mg, K, and Na. 70-75% Ca, 12% Mg, 3% K, 1.5% or less sodium. Then can add back what is lacking.

Currently via the soil tested that is what is suggested to add per cubic yard of soil.
150 grams ag gypsum, 11 grams borax, 67 grams manganese sulfate, 700 grams organic soybean meal, 225 grams kelp meal.
Manganese availability will be a problem because of PH, Excess K and Na.

If you got 2 weeks to let the soil sit before planting. Then add 56 grams elemental sulfur per yard.

Another additional option is to add Spectrum Extra from Tainio Technologies. It is microbial inoculant. The microbes will help to reduce the excess sodium. Much cheaper than many hydro shop products. Cost is around $25-30 per acre.
http://www.tainio.com/index.php?pageControl=productdetails&prodid=26

Hope that helps. If you get another test post it up

D

DopeSnob

I got the time and those microbes seam interesting! Prob do that then cut it with more peat and have it tested again. Have coots going too so i really wanna spend time/resources to get this soil perfect & see how they stack against another. I suspect this tailor made soil will have higher terps and over all sweetness. But what do i know(seams less and less), Thanks alot!

Top Bottom