Could Air Stones Be Doing More Harm Than Good?

• Thread starter FooDoo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JMcG

JMcG

This was my first idea actually except when I looked inside the module to see how this would work I noticed the bulkheads didn't have enough thread exposed to screw any 45 degree elbows on. If I removed the locking ring and used the elbow instead, they would leak because the locking ring has the rubber grommet in it.
Ahhh... so your bulkhead is threaded. Bummer man!
The ones I am using are slip in. In fact, I actually glued a 2" piece of pvc on the inside just so I can use the handy 2" plugs that plumbers use to plugs systems to test them. ( this works REALLY well to isolate a plant or two if necessary ) All I need to do is slide a 45 on there... guess I will give it a try!

F

FooDoo

I now I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but DAMN, I have never experienced this amount of growth when I used air stones. Also adding APTUS FaSilitor is likely playing a role as well

Luckily I documented the pheno hunt in 2015 on this site for the current cut I'm running in this test.

Not such a great update.

Left tested side is truckin

View attachment 508501

View attachment 508500

Right side herm'd out like crazy. Shame because I thought she would be the best. Throwing away the mom tonight after I spend a few hours plucking all the balls. Really hope she doesn't seed the entire room :(

View attachment 508503

Sorry @Nspecta , I seem to always get your bubbas to grow balls . luckily the left side doesn't have a single one anywhere and I think its because its so tk dominant. Another reason why I've mentioned a few times I'm not a bubba fan or a bubba cross fan.

Those pictures from 2015 show my cut on the left at the end of week 2 bloom about to start week 3 however back then they had a 3 week veg and were under 1000 hps.

The lights used now are 600 hps and only had a 2 week veg.

My last picture from a few days ago is almost exactly the same day in bloom That the picture from 2015 is and even with less watts and less veg time the current run looks fuller, bushier, and has more main colas.

You guys can visually compare for yourselves and make your own minds up if you're seeing the same thing

F

FooDoo

For multiple documented runs of this cut with airstones over a two year period, go to the nspecta csi humbolt subforum and look for my thread

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

5 days from the previous pic I posted here

15 days from first pistils
IMG 3711
IMG 3712

F

FooDoo

These girls are exploding since the last pictures on Wednesday. I wish I had two more 600s in the room.

IMG 1308

IMG 1312

IMG 1314

This tester tent has served me very well over the last few years but once everything finishes up it's going into the trash.

I may still do a tutorial on my waterfall modification if I get enough interest

mandalaman

mandalaman

Oh hell yes. Building a new two site Right now and will try it. Thinking 4 airstones in the main bucket and 0 in plant buckets. I'm totally loving this thread. Thank you. Will read through the rest to catch up again.

IMG 3235
IMG 3236

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Oh hell yes. Building a new two site Right now and will try it. Thinking 4 airstones in the main bucket and 0 in plant buckets. I'm totally loving this thread. Thank you. Will read through the rest to catch up again.

View attachment 663561 View attachment 663562

No air stones period. Use a lp pump instead. Put a riser on it that extends above the water line. I added a barbed T so the water comes out on two sides, doubling the splash/aeration

F

FooDoo

View attachment 663561 View attachment 663562

Mad respect to a DIY'r! Looking good man! And yea take the other members advice and get rid of the airstones in the epicenter and put just a "fountain pump" type thing like this if you have the space.

IMG 1317

Those are obv very powerful but you get an idea

F

FooDoo

would love to see the mod....

Once this run finishes and I remove the system from the tent to dispose of the tent, I will begin my modifications to the system and document step by step picture instructions.

I already planned it out on paper and it's extremely easy and extremely inexpensive to do. Most items you'll reuse and the few that get tossed and replaced are upgrades.

Prob an hour job depending on individual abilities and size of system . But I see myself getting it done in 20 minutes for the double barrel 16.

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

Heck yea! Love that setup. Your little root ball is bigger than my previous 8 gallon UC airstone runs! Lol.
thanks man, works pretty slick I grow in two systems like this this with two bare bulb 600s between. That way I can run two strains per round and still basically "monocrop" I always throw some in soil on the floor between the systems too for filler

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

More important than root size is root efficiency. With my F&D system I get really good size plants but comparatively small roots. I contribute that to more frequent feedings/flooding with fast drain + ornamental stones, which provide pockets for roots to grow between feedings+

During veg I flood every hour, then as the plant goes into flower I increase the time between feedings. Now at 2.5 hours (17 days from first pistils). Sorry, can't raise the hood to show, but here's a root shot from last grow

IMG 3673
IMG 3674
IMG 3671
IMG 3667

F

FooDoo

IMG 1323

Look at that stretch in week 3. Hope that stops now lol should have vegged for only 10 days

Here's a couple phenos of purple urkle x triangle kush by nspecta. 9 phenos from seed are running in the room along side

IMG 1310

These are indica dominant. I have two sativas and one perfect 50/50 mix while the others are all like the two pictured

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

View attachment 664198

Look at that stretch in week 3. Hope that stops now lol should have vegged for only 10 days

Here's a couple phenos of purple urkle x triangle kush by nspecta. 9 phenos from seed are running in the room along side

View attachment 664201

These are indica dominant. I have two sativas and one perfect 50/50 mix while the others are all like the two pictured

According to APTUS, a double does of FaSilitor at week 3 will slow stretch. Been using it a couple weeks now (0.5ml/g) to strengthen the branches, which in combination to no more stones, and adding Emerald Harvest Root Wizard to each fresh nute batch is definitely working.

mandalaman

mandalaman

So what's the idea behind why waterfall is superior to airstones in the epicenter?

Top Bottom