Could Air Stones Be Doing More Harm Than Good?

• Thread starter FooDoo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FooDoo

According to APTUS, a double does of FaSilitor at week 3 will slow stretch. Been using it a couple weeks now (0.5ml/g) to strengthen the branches, which in combination to no more stones, and adding Emerald Harvest Root Wizard to each fresh nute batch is definitely working.

Snake oil. It's all in the genetics.

Proof is right there in my room. Same
Environment , same system, same feed, some plants are below the cages and some above. Because some are indica and some are sativa

F

FooDoo

So what's the idea behind why waterfall is superior to airstones in the epicenter?

Not an idea.

The proven science behind the waterfall is water can only oxygenate when the surface has contact with air. Bubbles do not do this. Plain and simple. Bubbles come out of the air stone, travel right thru the water and pop at the surface and release into the air. They do not dissolve into the water and create more oxygen for roots.

Even if there's 2000 gallons in a system, Only the water that is at the top can exchange oxygen with the air. So In a tall upright skinny cylinder that water can only take in X amount of oxygen at the small surface. But Spread that same water out thin in a wide shallow container with tons of surface area like a pool, and that X amount of oxygen will become much greater.

That's what a waterfall does. Takes all the water in a system and spreads it thin to contact as much air all around it as possible for a greater chance of exchanging oxygen

Last edited:
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

^^^ Also, by using a lp pump the entire nutrient water is being recirculated. I am using a T on the top which doubles the splash . One could also use a pvc tube with cap and drill holes near the top to force the water/nutes out

I do still need air stones for starting seedlings/clones until the root system is long enough to drink from my DIY Mini Me F & D.

I use the 5" disc air stones, putting them directly under each plant. Ideally, I should use HPA at this stage, but that requires some configuring that I have not yet worked out

Last edited:
mandalaman

mandalaman

I'm confused what is an lpc and how is the nutrient solution not being circulated the way I'm doing it?

mandalaman

mandalaman

And if the airstones are not in the plant buckets then that mitigates the potential harm they cause right? and then it becomes a matter of most efficient aeration right?

F

FooDoo

And if the airstones are not in the plant buckets then that mitigates the potential harm they cause right? and then it becomes a matter of most efficient aeration right?

if you have no air stones then no damage can be caused to the roots.

The second part of your question I don't understand, please explain

mandalaman

mandalaman

if you have no air stones then no damage can be caused to the roots.

The second part of your question I don't understand, please explain

If I have airstones just in the control bucket and none in the plant bucket... then do I not need to worry about damage caused by the airstones? I know it won't be as efficient as if I had a waterfall, but my question is the "harm"

Have I mitigated the harm by placing all airstones in control bucket and at this point it just comes down to the fact that I am not AS efficiently aerating the solution using 5 airstones as I would be if using waterfall..

F

FooDoo

If I have airstones just in the control bucket and none in the plant bucket... then do I not need to worry about damage caused by the airstones? I

No you do not have to worry. remember it's still creating heat and still bringing pathogens into the water (nothing scary, just some slick film will form on things like the airline or air stone).

Have I mitigated the harm by placing all airstones in control bucket and at this point it just comes down to the fact that I am not AS efficiently aerating the solution using 5 airstones as I would be if using waterfall..

Yes you have but you don't need all the airstones in the control. One or two would be just fine. it's not just efficiency of taking in DO that makes waterfall different from airstones as pathogens and heat are still being produced. Also the electricity used for the air pump.

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

Other side of the room. There's actually no plant in the first cup. Just there to block light
IMG 20170131 184045 888

mandalaman

mandalaman

Snake oil. It's all in the genetics.

Proof is right there in my room. Same
Environment , same system, same feed, some plants are below the cages and some above. Because some are indica and some are sativa

Right and since i saw the thread on soluble Si floating around in here I've been happily using AgSil16H :) also first day seems to have gone well. I'll post a before/after if you want

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Here's pic of my outboard ~ 2g rez with 132 gph lpp (low pressure pump) I have it on a deep cycle timer ~ 3 minutes on/10 minutes off. In loo of waterfall I used a T, it's a little hard to see the water spilling out both sides. You could use PVC capping the ends and drilling a bunch of holes to further agitate the surface. The pump recirculates the water/nutes several times before shutting off

IMG 3718

JMcG

JMcG

I like the looks of that Phat! I just have a 90 creating the fall right now.
Pump on a deep cycle timer....? Sounds efficient. Any cons of only running it part time vs full time? Looks like your girls like it just fine!

JMcG

JMcG

Thinking more about it now... when you split the fall into two streams using the "t" wouldn't it cut the pressure in half? In my mind, a single stream of water with more pressure behind it would in theory drive the stream further down into the Rez solution, creating a more aggressive fluming effect wouldn't it?
One high power flume or two moderate ones...?
Hmmmm....

mandalaman

mandalaman

Thinking more about it now... when you split the fall into two streams using the "t" wouldn't it cut the pressure in half? In my mind, a single stream of water with more pressure behind it would in theory drive the stream further down into the Rez solution, creating a more aggressive fluming effect wouldn't it?
One high power flume or two moderate ones...?
Hmmmm....
More surface area exposed to oxygen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom