Could my blurple be better than a full spectrum?

• Thread starter gorillaglueaaron
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So blue shortens internodal spacing and red increases flower growth?
That article has all your answers bro... I know ya didn't read it yet... take the hour and read it top to bottom and you will have more knowledge then most on spectral effects and photosynthesis is general.

If ya have questions write em as ya go then head back and lets discuss them but all your answers are there.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
That article has all your answers bro... I know ya didn't read it yet... take the hour and read it top to bottom and you will have more knowledge then most on spectral effects and photosynthesis is general.

If ya have questions write em as ya go then head back and lets discuss them but all your answers are there.
I read up to Secondary plant metabolites and I don't regret taking the time, I'll read the rest later.
I now understand why blurples are good for thc production but bad for bud mass.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Someone is offering me 2 135w hlgs for $225, I was planning on getting 2 sf1000s or 2 100w hlgs for around $400 but this seems like a much better deal as they can be dimmed for me needs. The 135w hlgs would be $550 after tax and shipping if I bought them from the website.
Should I get them?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Someone is offering me 2 135w hlgs for $225, I was planning on getting 2 sf1000s or 2 100w hlgs for around $400 but this seems like a much better deal as they can be dimmed for me needs. The 135w hlgs would be $550 after tax and shipping if I bought them from the website.
Should I get them?
If there is nothing wrong with em absolutely a good light.

Elxfeezy

Elxfeezy

I've sort of already talked about this already but I never asked anybody for their opinion on it. So I have a tolys 600w LED from amazon (you can look it up if you want, it doesn't really make a difference). I haven't checked the actual wattage but a review on their 1000w model said it ran at 111w so I'm assuming mine runs at around 66w (It has 60 individual diodes if that means anything). I've only finished one grow with it where I got about 3oz from it but it was good quality bud and I made a few mistakes because it was my first grow like I under/over watered a couple time, nutrient problems, didn't lollipop and I forgot to flush. My current grow is my second grow with this light and I'm less than a week from being done and the quality is crazy good so far and I think I'm going to get a better yield than last time but still not close to what I'd like. So I've already decided that for my next grow, I will be changing the light in my tent and I've been thinking about changing to a viparpectra but now that I see that this light can produce good buds, I'm wondering if this light might be more effective than a viparspectra.
These are the options I'm considering and after that are some pics of my current grow:

1. One viparspectra p1500 for $230 (I live in Canada and it's hard to get viparspectra lights for cheap)

2. Two more Tolys 600w LEDs for $160 and using these there will be much better coverage because there are more lights and I can lower them a lot because they hardly produce any heat.

As you can see in the pictures below, the buds are good quality but very small so I think that either option will be good and get me a better yield. I may have just gotten lucky with this grow but it seems to me that I have gotten pretty good at keeping the grow conditions perfect to get good quality so I'm just looking for higher yields and faster vegging times so I'd assume more of the same light that I have can only add yield and not reduce quality. From what I've said the Tolys option kind of sounds better but the science shows that full spectrum LED's are better so I'm stuck on which to choose and just hoping for some input.

Thanks in advance.
View attachment 1059581
View attachment 1059580
I've sort of already talked about this already but I never asked anybody for their opinion on it. So I have a tolys 600w LED from amazon (you can look it up if you want, it doesn't really make a difference). I haven't checked the actual wattage but a review on their 1000w model said it ran at 111w so I'm assuming mine runs at around 66w (It has 60 individual diodes if that means anything). I've only finished one grow with it where I got about 3oz from it but it was good quality bud and I made a few mistakes because it was my first grow like I under/over watered a couple time, nutrient problems, didn't lollipop and I forgot to flush. My current grow is my second grow with this light and I'm less than a week from being done and the quality is crazy good so far and I think I'm going to get a better yield than last time but still not close to what I'd like. So I've already decided that for my next grow, I will be changing the light in my tent and I've been thinking about changing to a viparpectra but now that I see that this light can produce good buds, I'm wondering if this light might be more effective than a viparspectra.
These are the options I'm considering and after that are some pics of my current grow:

1. One viparspectra p1500 for $230 (I live in Canada and it's hard to get viparspectra lights for cheap)

2. Two more Tolys 600w LEDs for $160 and using these there will be much better coverage because there are more lights and I can lower them a lot because they hardly produce any heat.

As you can see in the pictures below, the buds are good quality but very small so I think that either option will be good and get me a better yield. I may have just gotten lucky with this grow but it seems to me that I have gotten pretty good at keeping the grow conditions perfect to get good quality so I'm just looking for higher yields and faster vegging times so I'd assume more of the same light that I have can only add yield and not reduce quality. From what I've said the Tolys option kind of sounds better but the science shows that full spectrum LED's are better so I'm stuck on which to choose and just hoping for some input.

Thanks in advance.
View attachment 1059581
View attachment 1059580
I grow in a 3x3. Started with led and upgraded to HPS. As far as faster veg time, I can’t help you there, I don’t rush that. But the difference in yield from LED to HPS is night and day. Everything it touches fattens up, you’re not worried about it because you see it happening. They might also be the key for faster veg, I don’t know. But i do know, even if you only use hps for flower, that light intensity will make your bud sites act a fool! I don’t flower with LED anymore.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
I grow in a 3x3. Started with led and upgraded to HPS. As far as faster veg time, I can’t help you there, I don’t rush that. But the difference in yield from LED to HPS is night and day. Everything it touches fattens up, you’re not worried about it because you see it happening. They might also be the key for faster veg, I don’t know. But i do know, even if you only use hps for flower, that light intensity will make your bud sites act a fool! I don’t flower with LED anymore.
The only reason hps is good for flowering is because it's really red but the flowering oriented LEDs can be just as red. Also, I think blue is necessary to reduce internode size and keep the canopy dense. Hps also lacks the green for penetration. It is super expensive, doesn't last as long as LEDs, it has terrible coverage because the 600w+ is focused into a tiny area, it gets super hot and so much more. I'm definately sticking with LEDs.

Last edited:
Elxfeezy

Elxfeezy

The only reason hps is good for flowering is because it's really red but the flowering oriented LEDs can be just as red. Also, I think blue is necessary to reduce internodes and keep the canopy dense. Hps also lacks the green for penetration. It is super expensive, doesn't last as long as LEDs, it has terrible coverage because the 600w+ is focused into a tiny area and so much more. I'm definately sticking with LEDs.
LST keeps my internode game on lock. HPS is expensive, but it’s also the standard. They’re expensive, hot and and dangerous. But there is now sub for raw power. LEDs very rarely actually output what they say, unless you buy super expensive. Stick with your LED, I’ll will always be growing my weed with higher intensity light than you. You shouldn’t be needing any C02 that’s for sure.

Elxfeezy

Elxfeezy

The only reason hps is good for flowering is because it's really red but the flowering oriented LEDs can be just as red. Also, I think blue is necessary to reduce internode size and keep the canopy dense. Hps also lacks the green for penetration. It is super expensive, doesn't last as long as LEDs, it has terrible coverage because the 600w+ is focused into a tiny area, it gets super hot and so much more. I'm definately sticking with LEDs.
LED lights are a cheap replacement to the industry standard. There are even consistent with what they are labeled on their box half the time.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
LST keeps my internode game on lock. HPS is expensive, but it’s also the standard. They’re expensive, hot and and dangerous. But there is now sub for raw power. LEDs very rarely actually output what they say, unless you buy super expensive. Stick with your LED, I’ll will always be growing my weed with higher intensity light than you. You shouldn’t be needing any C02 that’s for sure.
LED lights are a cheap replacement to the industry standard. There are even consistent with what they are labeled on their box half the time.
I think you're misinformed about your lights and LEDs. Lst doesn't do anything for internodes, all it does is make the cannopy evenly leveled. Almost everyone uses LEDs now so they are the new standard and even still regardless of what's the standard or not LEDs are still cheaper to run. I don't see what you mean about the raw power but with LEDs most of the power is turned into light but with HPS most of the power is turned into heat. I agree LEDs rarely output what they say but it's extremely rare to find an LED thats less efficient than a HPS. I'd rather but a quality LED once than keep buying bulbs, plus you make that money back from the amount of electricity you save. I have no idea where you get the idea that HPS has a higher intensity than LED because that's 100% wrong. CO2 is necessary for any light if there isn't enough CO2 in the air for the plant. The brighter the light, the more the plant works so the more CO2 it needs so you telling me that your's don't need CO2 is saying that they aren't bright enough for the plant to use what little CO2 is in the air.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
I have never in 100’s of silly led vs hps threads heard that hps is more expensive.

i still like my Sun System Blockbusters and 600w hortilux super hps but would love to be able to afford a nice set of new samsung bar led lights. It would likely double my yield for the same watts.
You save money with LED because of electricity from the light and fan required because of the heat. Also I'm not 100% sure about this but I think LEDs last a lot longer so you won't have to replace them for a long time.

Elxfeezy

Elxfeezy

I think you're misinformed about your lights and LEDs. Lst doesn't do anything for internodes, all it does is make the cannopy evenly leveled. Almost everyone uses LEDs now so they are the new standard and even still regardless of what's the standard or not LEDs are still cheaper to run. I don't see what you mean about the raw power but with LEDs most of the power is turned into light but with HPS most of the power is turned into heat. I agree LEDs rarely output what they say but it's extremely rare to find an LED thats less efficient than a HPS. I'd rather but a quality LED once than keep buying bulbs, plus you make that money back from the amount of electricity you save. I have no idea where you get the idea that HPS has a higher intensity than LED because that's 100% wrong. CO2 is necessary for any light if there isn't enough CO2 in the air for the plant. The brighter the light, the more the plant works so the more CO2 it needs so you telling me that your's don't need CO2 is saying that they aren't bright enough for the plant to use what little CO2 is in the air.
How much research of yours if actual research and not just gathered from this site? Under sufficient lighting, lst promotes short and copious internode. Prof Bruce Bugbee of Crop Physiology, was the one who actually told me that LED don’t put out as high intensity. If they did, there wouldn’t be HO LED. Of course every plants needs C02, but the big boys using HPS can bulk up their crop simply by adding C02, you don’t get equal results with LED simply because it’s not as intense. And yes HPS is expensive, because it’s the best proven way. No other way has been proven to out preform.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Right tool for the job is all. LED are not created equal, bulbs are not created equal and grow room requirements are not equal.

Top Bottom