could this be a Potassium deficiency?

• Thread starter codemanwi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
growsince79

growsince79

When I say I was over watering I was using 1.5 gallons total for all nine plants and I'd do that every 3 -4 days depending on how wet the soil was using one of this cheap soil probes. I cut back because the leaves were getting that swollen look on the edges and the leaves were droopy after each watering for 12 hours and they never perked up.
That sounds more like under watering. Cocoloco holds lots of water.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Coco loco is not coco coir. It's just ff name for a soil with coconut husks in it, but it is definitely a soil and nothing close to coco coir so maybe you can help more than you think. I will send a picture when I get home in an hour. Thanks.
oh haha sorry..
didn’t catch that..

C

codemanwi

oh haha sorry..
didn’t catch that..
Here's a to view. It's on all plants.
IMG 20220719 005012882

BeardedGuyGrows

BeardedGuyGrows

I try to keep my LEDs away at least 2ft. Allows for good nug spacing and light stress isn't much of an issue.

PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
ok with a quick look definitely light stress going on!
raise the lights at least 10 inches..
i’ll be back tomorrow as i need to sleep, getting up for work in 3 hours!!..
Holy shit your a trooper!!! I thought I was bad going to bed around midnight when I have to be up at 4:30 for work🤣 kudos to you.

Now for the topic at hand.
I'm not really experienced with LED lighting, had mine less than a year. But If it was light stress wouldn't the tops of the plants be affected most? It looks like the very tops are greener than just below the tops or am I seeing things.

Those burnt leaf edges look like k deficiency to me. That could be cause by watering issues over/under, you could have added to much of something that is antagonistic to k, or your soil could be depleted of nutrients. Do you top dress or just use teas?
When you water do you only use the moisture Meter? I find lifting the pots the best way to tell when to water, that and sticking my finger into soil.

I grow with promix amended with gaia green dry amendments.I find if I don't top dress right I run into problem after first few weeks of flower. Top dressing requires you to read your plant before you even put it in flower.
It all depends on a few factors, pot size relative to plant size is a biggy, amount of time plant have been in pot before flower and size of container. Generally I think the label says 1 tbs per gallon of soil which I generally follow but usually I give a little more or less depending on situation.
If you have a big plant in not that big of a pot you need to be on top of your top dress game or your going to run into trouble, it's not recommended.
Now if you use a big pot like 7 gallons or more which is the best way to do water only your not going to have to top dress very much unless your plant is an absolute monster 🦖
If I go from a solo cup to a 2 gallon container and let veg for a week or a little more to get established I the pot then flip to flower I will usually top dress every 2 weeks. If a plant is bigger I might start the top dress as soon as I flip. I top dress till around week 6 or 7. I know most of those nutrients aren't broken down yet but I recycle my soil so it just ends up in the next round of soil to cook up.
If you repot a week or so before you flip it really helps you not running into problems in the first few weeks of flower and doesn't rely so heavily on your top dressing
Sorry for the rant , I hope someone gains something from it.

C

codemanwi

Holy shit your a trooper!!! I thought I was bad going to bed around midnight when I have to be up at 4:30 for work🤣 kudos to you.

Now for the topic at hand.
I'm not really experienced with LED lighting, had mine less than a year. But If it was light stress wouldn't the tops of the plants be affected most? It looks like the very tops are greener than just below the tops or am I seeing things.

Those burnt leaf edges look like k deficiency to me. That could be cause by watering issues over/under, you could have added to much of something that is antagonistic to k, or your soil could be depleted of nutrients. Do you top dress or just use teas?
When you water do you only use the moisture Meter? I find lifting the pots the best way to tell when to water, that and sticking my finger into soil.

I grow with promix amended with gaia green dry amendments.I find if I don't top dress right I run into problem after first few weeks of flower. Top dressing requires you to read your plant before you even put it in flower.
It all depends on a few factors, pot size relative to plant size is a biggy, amount of time plant have been in pot before flower and size of container. Generally I think the label says 1 tbs per gallon of soil which I generally follow but usually I give a little more or less depending on situation.
If you have a big plant in not that big of a pot you need to be on top of your top dress game or your going to run into trouble, it's not recommended.
Now if you use a big pot like 7 gallons or more which is the best way to do water only your not going to have to top dress very much unless your plant is an absolute monster 🦖
If I go from a solo cup to a 2 gallon container and let veg for a week or a little more to get established I the pot then flip to flower I will usually top dress every 2 weeks. If a plant is bigger I might start the top dress as soon as I flip. I top dress till around week 6 or 7. I know most of those nutrients aren't broken down yet but I recycle my soil so it just ends up in the next round of soil to cook up.
If you repot a week or so before you flip it really helps you not running into problems in the first few weeks of flower and doesn't rely so heavily on your top dressing
Sorry for the rant , I hope someone gains something from it.
Thanks for the input. I went into 3 gallon pots 2 weeks ago which was one week before I flipped and put a full dose according to the labels of steamed bone meal, langbeinite, kelp meal and alpha meal. I was going to top dress again this weekend. I too think it's a potassium deficiency and therefore was looking for clarification. These bitches could be just hungry hoes. If you don't think it's too much, I think I'm going to give it a shot of FF big boom for a small dose of readily available potassium and then give them a good top dressing this weekend. Maybe even back of on the light a little just in case. I have a dragon alpha led light and they recommend being 36" off the canopy. I'm around 23-25" off the canopy at 75% light intensity. I think I'll back that off a little just in case. What y'all think. Would that be a good first couple of steps?

strider26554

strider26554

I know it sucks ass. First grow using all organic nutes with weekly compost tea in soil and this is the earliest I've ever had issues. I just want to make sure this isn't just my over watering causing it and now that I've cut back my watering it will resolve itself or my lights are to close and I need to dial back the intensity instead of dumping more nutes on them. I'm on day 19 of flower and cut back watering during first week of flower.
Organics can be more forgiving but also a little harder to figure out problems as no batch of tea or compost is going to be exactly the same. i have mixed up batches of my soil that i build myself from compost , manure, wood shavings and usually either a good good dolomitic lime or slow release garden lime as a buffer and sometimes i will get a container that is deficient in something. but hse are some very odd discolorations, and while my first instinct would be soil, or nute issue, but light is also a possibility if your seeing it across the board on every plant , is the discoloration worse at the canopy or on the older growth?

C

codemanwi

Organics can be more forgiving but also a little harder to figure out problems as no batch of tea or compost is going to be exactly the same. i have mixed up batches of my soil that i build myself from compost , manure, wood shavings and usually either a good good dolomitic lime or slow release garden lime as a buffer and sometimes i will get a container that is deficient in something. but hse are some very odd discolorations, and while my first instinct would be soil, or nute issue, but light is also a possibility if your seeing it across the board on every plant , is the discoloration worse at the canopy or on the older growth?
It's worse on older growth but u can see it starting on new growth also, just not as bad.

JerzeyMike

JerzeyMike

I havent read word for word the entire thread, so excuse me if its already been stated, but what is your ph going in and coming out? I grow in living soil and some say its not an critical issue in soil, but i figure why make the soil work when its just as easy for me to use a little ph down. The reason i bring up ph, is my girls looked like that before i started ph ing everything.

C

codemanwi

I havent read word for word the entire thread, so excuse me if its already been stated, but what is your ph going in and coming out? I grow in living soil and some say its not an critical issue in soil, but i figure why make the soil work when its just as easy for me to use a little ph down. The reason i bring up ph, is my girls looked like that before i started ph ing everything.
The soil pH is 6.5. I don't water enough to have it drain out the bottom because when I was doing that, the fungus gnats we're horrible and the leaves would stay droopy for a couple of days and never perk up. The leaves were also looking swollen on the edges so I've been backing down the watering. I really don't like this Fox Farm coco loco soil. The moisture retention is sporadic throughout the root zone. Wet spots, dry spots and it's hard to get consistent dry back throughout the root zone. Won't use again.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
there is 100% definitely light stress going on big time..
issues for this situation..
praying leaves,
whiteish/yellowish tips and edges,
curled up edges..

growsince79

growsince79

Here's a to view. It's on all plants.View attachment 1262956
The
The soil pH is 6.5. I don't water enough to have it drain out the bottom because when I was doing that, the fungus gnats we're horrible and the leaves would stay droopy for a couple of days and never perk up. The leaves were also looking swollen on the edges so I've been backing down the watering. I really don't like this Fox Farm coco loco soil. The moisture retention is sporadic throughout the root zone. Wet spots, dry spots and it's hard to get consistent dry back throughout the root zone. Won't use again.
I've used cocoloco many times. I still use it exclusively for seedlings. Moisture retention is perfect if you water it right. You have to water it completely and dry out almost completely. 10-15% perlite helps.

C

codemanwi

there is 100% definitely light stress going on big time..
issues for this situation..
praying leaves,
whiteish/yellowish tips and edges,
curled up edges..
I bet your right! There's so many issues that mimic each other it's hard to figure out. I did reduce my light intensity down another 15%. I have the scynce led dragon alpha and they recommend 36" above canopy and I'm at 24" or so. I can't move had the light down to 75% power
The

I've used cocoloco many times. I still use it exclusively for seedlings. Moisture retention is perfect if you water it right. You have to water it completely and dry out almost completely. 10-15% perlite helps.
This is my first try with coco loco and I just don't like it. Ocean forest seemed to do fine with watering or didn't seem to have as inconsistent root ball dampness. When I water completely with coco loco it dried out inconsistent throughout root ball and the plants just acted water logged.

C

codemanwi

I sure do appreciate everybody's input. I got done good info and response. I'm going to cut back my light, continue with the small waterings every other day or as much as the meter is telling me I need to and tonight I'll give it a little shot of FF big boom for the immediate available potassium. That stuff is mild, so I figure it won't hurt. I don't think I'm having nutrient burn issues. Thanks again for everybody's input.

growsince79

growsince79

I bet your right! There's so many issues that mimic each other it's hard to figure out. I did reduce my light intensity down another 15%. I have the scynce led dragon alpha and they recommend 36" above canopy and I'm at 24" or so. I can't move had the light down to 75% power

This is my first try with coco loco and I just don't like it. Ocean forest seemed to do fine with watering or didn't seem to have as inconsistent root ball dampness. When I water completely with coco loco it dried out inconsistent throughout root ball and the plants just acted water logged.
Did you add perlite? Small waterings is why you are where you are. gl

C

codemanwi

Did you add perlite? Small waterings is why you are where you are. gl
No I did not add perlite. I just started the small waterings because when I would water like I did with ocean forest or happy frog, the leaves would droop for a couple of days and they would get the swollen edges. I really don't like this coco loco. So I haven't been doing small waterings to get into this situation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom