Cree Xm-l2 4200-4500k Small Veg Space Advice...

• Thread starter Fingermouse
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Fingermouse

Hi, I'm looking to make a small vegging LED set up, i'v got a small 2ft-3ft vegging cupboard and I'm wondering if, A- if it's worth using leds in this space and B- how many Cree's and what driver would I need? I'm having trouble matching LEDs to drivers, thanks.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Just had lunch and I'm in the middle of something. I'll chime in later when I'm done with the ongoing project since I need to stick my nose in those data sheets again.

But basically I'd go with XM-L2, 3500K and 4000K mix @ 100+ W, 120W HLG Meanwell driver @1500mA.

@Fingermouse where are you from? Do you already know where will you be sourcing your materials? What heatsinks do you have in plan?

G gnome

G gnome

Just had lunch and I'm in the middle of something. I'll chime in later when I'm done with the ongoing project since I need to stick my nose in those data sheets again.

But basically I'd go with XM-L2, 3500K and 4000K mix @ 100+ W, 120W HLG Meanwell driver @1500mA.
Yeah. What he sed

F

Fingermouse

Hi and thanks,I'm from the UK. I'v been looking at cree's from mouser and drivers from fasttech. Im thinking 2-4 pc heatsink blocks with 2-4 LEDs.

I think I'l be fine with assembly just don't really know my electronics so not sure how many XM-l2's the driver you suggested will run. I'v heard there's a lower limit?

Toaster79

Toaster79

Forget about Fasttech. You wont find a decent driver there for what you need. Mouser has Meanwell drivers in stock. My choice would be HLG-120H-C1400 and 32 XMLs. Instead of those CPU heatsinks I'd source an aluminum plate about 5mm thick and use it as the top of your cabinet. You'll get a nice mounting surface for LEDs on the inside and driver on the outside. I would also drill holes around those LEDs to allow air to flow around cooling surface. Maybe even close the compartment with the driver and have vents sucking the air through the grow cabinet, cooling surface and driver and blow it out on the top or on the sides.

F

Fingermouse

So just relying on the cabinet's ventilation system and no extra fans? Sounds simpler than what I had in mind which is good. Do you just chain with XML's together when you mount them? And would you suggest an even split of 3500k/4000k? Thanks :)

Toaster79

Toaster79

In a cabinet of your size you won't need much ventilation. Say 140mm fan on intake and exhaust.

I'd split them but you could go with either of them, even lower CCT like 3000K would work like a charm. The more wavelength variety they'll get the better they'll grow. You could also put one or two 140mm fans on exhaust and leave intake passive. Even one fan would do to keep the moisture up in veg.

If you'd like even better color reproduction and broader spectrum, you could pick EZW series XM-L2, but with them you'd have to pick other driver like 350mA if you get 12V versions.

And always wire your LEDs in series if it's possible.

F

Fingermouse

Well I'm running 3 140mm fans outake and passive intake at the mo, if that would be enough to keep it cool and I'l probably stick with the XLMs to keep it simple for now, I could always add more later if needed.

Thanks for the input, looks like a fun build. Do you have a recommendation of thermal paste?

Toaster79

Toaster79

I myself use Arctic Silver 5, thermal grease and thermal adhesive.

With three fans you'll be more than fine cooling your setup. I had four with adjustable power supply 6-15V and never had to turn them all the way up to 12V unless there was like 30°C in my apartment. I had about 125W of mixed spectrum in my cabinet and took my plants to finish.

Check the link in my signature, there's my old and my new DIY setup.

Toaster79

Toaster79

With XM-L2 and XML2 EZW the wiring doesnt change, you just have to take HLG-120H-C350 driver, that's it, everything stays the same. The only difference might be in price of the emitters.

F

Fingermouse

Thanks Im looking forward to see how they perform vegging. Im using 2-4 85w cfls at the moment.

F

Fingermouse

I don't have a clue, just go them from ebay as 85w cfl, they are pretty bulky. They seem to veg ok, but then I move my plants into the tent with 400 then 600 hps. Im hoping to do all my vegging in the cabinet under LED's and at least for now just flower in the under the 600hps.

Toaster79

Toaster79

If those are actual 85W bulbs you might be dissapointed with the setup I proposed as you're running 340W of light already. Those LEDs wont give you double+ efficiency of CFLs.

F

Fingermouse

Thats why i wasnt sure if it's worth doing, but then if it gives me equal growth and any savings on heat/electric then I don't mind putting the money and time in. Plus I can always use the 85wcfl's for an auto cabinet as they where originally haha

REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES

Interesting why no one has mention Cree CXA or CXB 2530 or 3070 for efficiency? If you were to use only 10 3070's for veg running them at 500ma with only 1 HLG-185H-C500A so you can manually dim with a turn of a screw(it has a built in potentiometer) Down to 250ma.

Top Bottom