Critical Mass Auto - First Grow Ever

• Thread starter Sim Karter
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Don't forget to pH your rockwool cubes properly. If you do not pH the cubes first you are almost sure to have problems in the future.

LST is not just for keeping the height down, it is also a means of growing more top buds. When the main stem is tied over the plant sends the hormones going to the top of the plant to the other branches. From that point the lower branches then grow in an attempt to become the dominant top. As the plant gets older and you tie more branches over you end up with more points fighting to be the dominant top. This offers more light to places on your plant that would not normally receive that much light, and therefore a more productive plant. When there are multiple plants in the set-up this also helps keep the canopy even from plant to plant. SCROGs also work on the same principle, the screen forces the branches to grow out along the net (with some help from the grower) and provide more branching from the whole plant. There are plenty of good examples of growers using both techniques on here, I suggest you look for some of those threads and see what results other growers have achieved.

Sim Karter

Sim Karter

pH the rockwool cubes? I was under the impression it was just the water I put in them that needed to be the right pH?

Actually, what pH should I be aiming for?

jagle

jagle

by ph the rockwool cubes, he means soak the cubes in phed water so that they are not contaminated by anything in the rockwool and also helps flush and clean the rockwool

jagle

jagle

good couple of hours, id soak and then rinse, soak and then rinse then remove excess water then plant seeds in

jagle

jagle

good man. basically you rlooking to clean and remove any material from the rockwool, and of course have the moisture in there at an even ph

jagle

jagle

shit man i dont grow hydro, 6.5/7 ya but wait till someone else double checks that, or google yourself

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

It not about cleaning the rockwool, there should be nothing to clean off of it. It is about making sure the rockwool is totally wet and there are no dry pockets in the cubes. If there are dry pockets before you place them into your system, they will not usually fill those pockets with water during the grow cycle and your root mass will be compromised.

Also if you do not pH the rockwool properly your plants beginning will be compromised. The proper pH is 5.6 to start. From that point forward your target pH when feeding your pants is 5.8. This will keep your root zone in optimal conditions and give you the best final results.

Sim Karter

Sim Karter

I love you all, thanks.

Just gave them a squeeze, pH at 7 currently but will drop it down in a bit and then rock and roll.

That rockwool stuff is nasty, my hands itch after handling it.

jagle

jagle

oh ya wear gloves and a mask...

and ya you want the rockwool not soaking wet so give em a good squeeze and let em drain a bit

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

No don't squeeze! Its bad for the aeration in the rockwool.

Sim Karter

Sim Karter

Saw this a bit too late, lifted them out of the water and gave them a squeeze, they're rather damp but not waterlogged.

Sorry for the crap pictures, had to use really old camera.

Sim Karter

Sim Karter

So as it stands I have 2 cubes with little green bits poking out *proud*

The other three have yet to show, I'm ecstatic about the results of this so far! :D

The bottom one is bent as the cube fell over and I didn't notice for about 30 hours, hoping it will straighten up now it's back up the right way and getting a little bit of light. :)

Photo on 21 07 2012 at 0045
Photo on 21 07 2012 at 0046

Top Bottom