• Tagged users None
Bannacis

Bannacis

Gotta love the larf, its got a home in my hash bags...LOL

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Fuck the larf.
So .... trim em you are saying? (I am in the middle of a BK grow)
Larf being the little shit that never really matures in time ? and by trimming this ... energy is then spent elsewhere?
Exactly! Read this that I'm going to link about Medjool date farming, I found it incredibly helpful to understand what I was trying to do.

http://www.dateland.com/Tutorial.html

Now, obviously, exposure to sunlight isn't quite as much a factor in Medjool date farming, however, for other fruits grown from deciduous trees, it is. When I was a kid one of my chores was to clean up excess fruits from the trees as my mother directed me. The years we didn't clean up the fruits, the trees produced many small, poor quality, not-so-sweet fruits. The years we did a good job we got the biggest, bestest, tastiest fruits.

Make sense? The whole idea is that the tree or plant is going to produce a given yield. The question is how to extract the best quality yield, yeah? That's why we 'redirect' the plant's energies towards the more desirable areas, fruits or flowers, and it *will* put its energy into them.

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

It makes sense until your wondering why your colas end up on the ground during a breeze.

I just feel like the perceived benefit of not having to deal with a couple ounces of larf at the end of the day is outweighed by me not having to pick up dirt covered colas that have been laying on the damp ground for 8 or more hours.

Bannacis

Bannacis

I think we are all on the same page here, Trim all the small crappy stuff in the inner branches that don't amount to much but hold excess moisture or pests and take essential nutrient from the best of the plant.
by thinning out selective branches, leaf etc...it allows for a more healthier, productive and quality harvest.
Use the larf for bubble or just throw away.
I am reminded of a Donald Duck comic when I was a kid, Donald was competing with a neighbor on growing the best apples in his prize trees. He was told to pluck half the flowers...lol he plucked one half of the tree, which of course was wrong. Then the next tree he pluck off half of a single flower/bud and every other flower all over the tree. Resulting in thinning it out, allowing better light penetration, more room more nutrients to the flowers themselves and he had a glorious big beautiful harvest. that was in the 70's and it is a perfect example.

Bannacis

Bannacis

Panda: It makes sense until your wondering why your colas end up on the ground during a breeze. Your reply on tommyk's reply of the Dateland link, Explain please, not sure of the connection.

Yoda

Yoda

bannacis thanks for the donald duck example that really hit home for me...

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
It makes sense until your wondering why your colas end up on the ground during a breeze.

I just feel like the perceived benefit of not having to deal with a couple ounces of larf at the end of the day is outweighed by me not having to pick up dirt covered colas that have been laying on the damp ground for 8 or more hours.

no buds on the ground here :)
Legs

Opps...Did I prune those to much?:confused: ...lol
I have them too close together:banghead: ..So, I had to do that...I think the plants like it :)

Tops...That's where the action is. ;)

Smoking

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl

That's what Hortonova is for. Once I got myself a couple of rolls of that, I haven't had to deal with colas in the dirt. Groworganic dot com is where I get mine.

For me, the benefit is not perceived at *all*. I hate trimming in the first place, why do I want to spend days trimming larf? I don't. Neither do I have any interest in making hash, oils or concentrates I won't use--I smoke bud, all day long. I want bud, period.

Besides, you can wash those buds (I know, I've done it before I got with the Hortonova program) just by dunking carefully. No different than being rained on in the first place.

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

Its simply balance. If you cut off the bottom growth the branch becomes imbalanced and you have to use supports of some kind. Supports limit the movement of the branch. Movement and flex of the branch is good for the plant, makes it strong.

I hate tying supports. The net is expensive and gets in my way when I do, for whatever reason, want to work inside the plant.

I like to let things take their own course. If given the opportunity to stand upon the shoulder of any giant that has preceded me, who's experience is more valid than nature its self? It just seems like the plant would know how to grow. If it wanted less branches, it simply would not grow them in the first place.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Its simply balance. If you cut off the bottom growth the branch becomes imbalanced and you have to use supports of some kind. Supports limit the movement of the branch. Movement and flex of the branch is good for the plant, makes it strong.

I hate tying supports. The net is expensive and gets in my way when I do, for whatever reason, want to work inside the plant.

I like to let things take their own course. If given the opportunity to stand upon the shoulder of any giant that has preceded me, who's experience is more valid than nature its self? It just seems like the plant would know how to grow. If it wanted less branches, it simply would not grow them in the first place.

Pruning is about more than just looks; proper pruning improves the health of your rose bush, prevents disease and encourages better flowering. There are different pruning strategies for different times of the year, but overall the goal is always the same; to keep the bush fresh and open, to allow for better air circulation through the center of the plant. Air movement dries the leaves, which helps prevent foliar diseases from attacking your roses. Fungal diseases like black spot and powdery mildew are much more common on plants with congested growth in the middle of the plant.

Bannacis

Bannacis

You like letting things take their own course or what?

Knock that crap off. lol thats my advice.

If your gonna cut anything, make it dual purpose. Thin out the inside for light and airflow, and root the cuts you make for more plants.
Oregon Panda, Thursday at 11:57 PM

I told em not to cut. lol

I never trim anything except to make clones, when I do I take any small stuff that may be inside. If I dont wanna take that, then I take lower branches. I never take anything off the top, but I might if I was inside. Situation dependent.
Oregon Panda, Friday at 12:41 PM

Hash, oil, and butter man. I like the larf.

When I take a top cola, I let everything else keep growing. I just gently squeeze the bud until its not full and dense, cut there and give it a couple weeks and it fills right in. It makes trimming an endless task, to walk out into the garden and still have all the plants there after a month of trimming is nuts. Worth it though.

Give it a try.
Oregon Panda, Friday at 1:41 PM

Bannacis

Bannacis

Just admit it you help nature do her thing, you trim, you support you feed and water, if you let nature take her course ...You would throw the bean in the ground and come back 8-9 weeks later and cut her down.
Is that what you do? I think not... Come on Panda... Some of do read all the post...LOL ;)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I never said I tie anything down, I simply support it it using the Hortonova. To each their own, but I took the hard-earned advice freely offered to me by several old-timers who've been making their living doing exactly this for... jeez, several decades at least, between just a couple of them.

The net is not that expensive, and this is coming from a seriously cheap-ass woman. Certainly not compared to the time and energy involved in, say, tying every branch for support.

I've done it both ways--using canopy controlling methods and not, and I can say unequivocally two things: First, even if you don't trim out the interior and lowers, you're going to get colas that fall over (at least, *I* do) and may hit the dirt; Second, I hate trimming larf I hate trimming larf I hate trimming larf... did I mention I hate trimming larf? I hate trimming, period.

Pricing on Hortonova:
Yeah, if you need a few thousand feet of 79" tall trellis, you're gonna pay a few C-notes. But, if you're really needing a few thousand feet, is that really too much to pay to keep those pretty buds out of the dirt? Again, not in my world, and I'll reiterate, I am CHEAP. I reuse the trellis, btw, so I don't allow my husband to cut it at harvest.

ncga

ncga

Sea is right on with the Hortinova. Here is something you will all thank me for. Make sure you get on their mailing list. During the winter they tend to have a 25% off sale.

The other point that we hope not to deal with is mold and mildew. Those small inner branches are where it will start. When you have good air circulations. This also is a men from the boys separation point. When you spend time stripping those off the plant at harvest rather than now you will know. What I mean is we have had some mild falls compared to what I have seen. I remember back in 97 when I showed up to help a friend outdoor harvest. I cried when I saw over 20 lbs of buds in the compost pile due to uncontrollable mold. Sure there are a lot more tools to stop it but when it starts raining and you need to get those plants in you will know what I'm talking about. That is if you want to step up your game. Sure with a few plants and LOTS of hanging and drying space you can get away with more.

You have to ask yourself " Are you growing buds or Hash" ? If you own the property the answer is the former, workers tend to go with the later

Food for thought

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

I know I'm not the only person that doesn't prune. I've met too many people who do this for a living who dont.

The biggest grows I've seen in person have all been from non pruners.

Toppers make lots of colas, croppers make a few big ones. I don't think there is any such argument that topping reduces the quality of the bud. There are certainly plenty of arguments against large buds, concerning drying and mold. Also the are plenty of arguments that large buds are of a lesser quality.

Pruning provides pathogens and insects gateways directly into your plant. Unsanitary equipment is a problem among new growers that could be completely avoided if everyone wasnt so crazy about pruning.

Under ideal circumstances I would love to sow seed and let nature happen. It simply doesnt work that way in most of the world.

I'm beyond trying to convince anyone, just moving the other half conversation forward. I am alone in the endevour I suppose.

ncga

ncga

I know I'm not the only person that doesn't prune. I've met too many people who do this for a living who dont.

The biggest grows I've seen in person have all been from non pruners.

Toppers make lots of colas, croppers make a few big ones. I don't think there is any such argument that topping reduces the quality of the bud. There are certainly plenty of arguments against large buds, concerning drying and mold. Also the are plenty of arguments that large buds are of a lesser quality.

Pruning provides pathogens and insects gateways directly into your plant. Unsanitary equipment is a problem among new growers that could be completely avoided if everyone wasnt so crazy about pruning.

Under ideal circumstances I would love to sow seed and let nature happen. It simply doesnt work that way in most of the world.

I'm beyond trying to convince anyone, just moving the other half conversation forward. I am alone in the endevour I suppose.

I do end up like you on some of my gardens because I don't have time. BUT I find harvest goes a LOT faster on the plants that have been thinned/Cleaned out to those that haven't.

Just try cleaning out one this year and see how it goes. Always nice to do side by sides. When I started the grower I worked for like to send the crew out to leaf the plants in the filed. I convinced him to leave 2 plant to me to take care of, well the two I cared for had more yield. Although that one endless summer year I had workers standing around so we did do some leafing in the field. Endless I mean the temps did not drop to finish the plants

Bannacis

Bannacis

I guess it all comes down to location, (weather), grow style, strain and what the grower is willing or able to do.
The important part of all this is for someone to get some knowledge from all the diff peeps on here, with out anybody getting pissed or bent out of shape if what they read is different from what they think is the correct way.
It is all good in my book.... Back in the day we didn't have this kind of info to feed our heads, pretty much winged it.
If you got a harvest that your happy with, then Dab Gammit don't let anyone tell you different.
I'm always learning, and the way I've been able to get the best info for my 2 cents is to put the Questions out there DUMB or not.
This forum is one of theee best and the peeps on here have a lot of good stuff to say...You too Panda...LOL ;)
Just kidding aside, cause I been catching your posts.
The Key is to discuss the post in growfesional manner, its pro its cons...but never berate a poster... WE are all
Babes of Mother Geengoddess and deserve a doobiest fanfare....lol....man I need to put down the toka!! wheew :cyclops:

Yoda

Yoda

i few pics i took today i think what little trimming i did in the beginning was very beneficial she is growin like a weed..... tomorrow i am gonna pack on the bloom nutrients... i think 10-50-25 will work well.... i have nitrogen also if needed

Top Bottom