Cubensis

• Thread starter Crysmatic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Crysmatic

Crysmatic

I just wanted to post a few pics of a mushroom grow from 2009. small 'monotubs' with straight colonized rye, cased with coco. i got 12 oz in over 3 months.

the small tubs were about 1 sq.ft. i'm scaling up to 3 sq.ft for a new grow. this time i'll have polyfil to reduce contams. coco substrate hasn't worked very well for me...i want to try with straw.

i'll inoculate some jars next weekend.

Cubensis
S

SSHZ

Hey Crys.......looking good. What's the strain you got going? I just started 12 mycobags from Mad Season with 4 Cubensis B+ syringes. It's gonna take me a while but it looks like you're close to a pickin! Nice job there buddy........

P

Pockets

op when you pasturize the coir add a couple tea spoons of gypsum(crushed drywall will work), it adds micro nutrients and so does pollen if you have some laying around. i see your not using a liner? when mushies grow they absorb nutes and water from the sub so it shrinks, if not lined then by the second flush theyre gonna be wasting alot of food and energy on side pins that will never mature, suffocate and rot. also do you case? id say not to, cubes dont need a casing but when you mix your coir and spawn use a half inch straight coir layer at the top like a demi-casing. this will allow the myc to thin by the time it surfaces(avoid overlay) and spaced by lightly colonized coir and hence gives a nice micro environment to the myc fans to turn to hypea and pin more evenly. the most important thing is not to birth before you see pins not hypea(i wait till i see a single brown top) as this will give an uneven pinset and picking on and off will disturb the network, other pins and prolong next flush.

p.s.
try the 64qt bins, i average 4 to 6 1/2 zips each in 3-4 flushes. with my bins i spray soak the sub between flushes(thats why a full flush in necessary)with a spray bottle until the water stops absorbing into the sub(not drowning). i let it evaporate a bit and continue regular spraying but watch for exposed coir as you want to keep it moist until its recolonized the area, dont let it dry out their is still shitloads of food in there for more. coir is the best cause its the most contam resistant sub, shit i used stagnant coir and it worked but my strain is also wild aggressive colonizing bastard. shit if you want to try them let me know and ill print up a darkie for you. slow motion!

D

DrugleyDoRite

Looking Good, Cysmatic. :)

I just wanted to post a few pics of a mushroom grow from 2009. small 'monotubs' with straight colonized rye, cased with coco. i got 12 oz in over 3 months.

the small tubs were about 1 sq.ft. i'm scaling up to 3 sq.ft for a new grow. this time i'll have polyfil to reduce contams. coco substrate hasn't worked very well for me...i want to try with straw.

Coco works well for a casing but not so well as a substrate on its own.
Try a horse manure substrate and spawn the myc to it some time. You will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Keep on sporulating!! ;)

P

Pockets

i hear horse manure is the best, but pasturizing it in your kitchen is straight nasty. coir does have some nute thats why you dont want to case with straight coir, you have to cut it with peat or verm to reduce nute content. this is why i also requested you use gypsum. everything drugley stating is true besides coco not working for a sub, im assuming drugley been doing this for a while or has been taught by a OG as coir is newskool.

it all works just some better for others!

Crysmatic

Crysmatic

thank you for checkin this out!

Hey Crys.......looking good. What's the strain you got going? I just started 12 mycobags from Mad Season with 4 Cubensis B+ syringes. It's gonna take me a while but it looks like you're close to a pickin! Nice job there buddy........

this was ecuador, and i also had creepers (which blue almost instantly). some ecuadors were over 2 oz wet :) i believe i'm currently running ecuadors...the syringes got mixed up. i know i had koh samui, but they're supposed to be smaller SE asian strain. I'm really attracted to central american strains...more visual :)

filter patch bags are great for lots of spawn, but i always had trouble sealing them. i use small mouth quart mason jars. i also have filter lids. i really need to find my glove box, or make a new one.

op when you pasturize the coir add a couple tea spoons of gypsum(crushed drywall will work), it adds micro nutrients and so does pollen if you have some laying around. i see your not using a liner? when mushies grow they absorb nutes and water from the sub so it shrinks, if not lined then by the second flush theyre gonna be wasting alot of food and energy on side pins that will never mature, suffocate and rot. also do you case? id say not to, cubes dont need a casing but when you mix your coir and spawn use a half inch straight coir layer at the top like a demi-casing. this will allow the myc to thin by the time it surfaces(avoid overlay) and spaced by lightly colonized coir and hence gives a nice micro environment to the myc fans to turn to hypea and pin more evenly. the most important thing is not to birth before you see pins not hypea(i wait till i see a single brown top) as this will give an uneven pinset and picking on and off will disturb the network, other pins and prolong next flush.

p.s.
try the 64qt bins, i average 4 to 6 1/2 zips each in 3-4 flushes. with my bins i spray soak the sub between flushes(thats why a full flush in necessary)with a spray bottle until the water stops absorbing into the sub(not drowning). i let it evaporate a bit and continue regular spraying but watch for exposed coir as you want to keep it moist until its recolonized the area, dont let it dry out their is still shitloads of food in there for more. coir is the best cause its the most contam resistant sub, shit i used stagnant coir and it worked but my strain is also wild aggressive colonizing bastard. shit if you want to try them let me know and ill print up a darkie for you. slow motion!

thanks pockets! i thought that it was just to block light in clear bins (although i've witnessed the substrate shrinking, and side pinning. do you just use a black garbage bag and trim to suit? panda paper should do nicely.

my coco run didn't even produce a dry oz from 2 sq.ft tub (i got more from the little tubs!). i read on shroomery that trichoderman inhibits mycelium...is there a special coir you use? how much spawn do you use per coir?

i didn't know it was 'safe' to mist the substrate. i've been dumping a litre along the sides :) should i be putting the tub in the dark between flushes?

Looking Good, Cysmatic. :)

Coco works well for a casing but not so well as a substrate on its own.
Try a horse manure substrate and spawn the myc to it some time. You will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Keep on sporulating!! ;)

i wish i had a link to the original coco tek. i even forget which forum. he soaked the coco with pure blend. apparently it works very well outdoors.

i hear horse manure is the best, but pasturizing it in your kitchen is straight nasty. coir does have some nute thats why you dont want to case with straight coir, you have to cut it with peat or verm to reduce nute content. this is why i also requested you use gypsum. everything drugley stating is true besides coco not working for a sub, im assuming drugley been doing this for a while or has been taught by a OG as coir is newskool.

lol...no pasturizing manures in the house. gotcha ;)

we all want massive mushrooms, massive flushes. what method do you use to hydrate and pasteurise coir?

Cort

Cort

Simi off topic:

any recommended starter reads and/or starter kits? My bro wants to get into shrooms but will need my help.

Now, back to your advanced convo.

D

DrugleyDoRite

Thanks Pockets.
Yes I have been doing this for quite a while but the last couple years have been kinda spotty. Mostly shit and verm subs.
You are correct about the coir having some nutes but it really doesn't have enough to support many flushes with ease. But mix some verm and some worm castings or manure and "flush" takes on a new meaning. :)

Some good info here.

P.S. Cort, for beginner info about growing shrooms, check out fungifun *dot* org for lots of info.

Crysmatic

Crysmatic

just bought a 89L tub from casa de pot for my glove box (3.6 sq.ft). for my last glove box I used a 3" hole saw. the holes were too small, and the box cracked. this new one i used duct tape, and a jigsaw. the holes are 4.25" - i used a lid to trace the holes. it only took 15 minutes to make. p.s. don't wear a sweater when cutting the holes :)

i want to return the large tubs I just bought, and get two more 89L tubs...so that they can store away when not in use. it will go a long way to not having them repurposed or thrown out :)

here's my method:
1. rinse 3.5 cups rye 5 times, then soak for 24 hr (to germ endospores, clean dust, starch, etc). antibacterial soap doesn't hurt here.
2. drain and simmer rye for 45 minutes
3. pack four 1L small mouth mason jars (just over half full)
4. I use filter discs from mycosupply
5. cover jars with foil, and pressure cook at 15 psi, for 70 minutes
6. this first run I innoculate with spore syringes. subsequent runs use grain transfers :D (alcohol and bleach are your best friends) i usually work in the bathroom right after a shower
7. incubate in a double tub with aquarium heater set to 28C

i innoculated with 6 ml per jar tonight. should be colonized in 10-14 days.

can i skip the simmer step and just go from soak to pc?

fwiw i read through my old notes, and discovered the little tubs had a bottom and top casing of vermiculite/promix, with all grain substrate (what a waste of potential).

Thanks Pockets.
Yes I have been doing this for quite a while but the last couple years have been kinda spotty. Mostly shit and verm subs.
You are correct about the coir having some nutes but it really doesn't have enough to support many flushes with ease. But mix some verm and some worm castings or manure and "flush" takes on a new meaning. :)

Some good info here.

P.S. Cort, for beginner info about growing shrooms, check out fungifun *dot* org for lots of info.

i would love to use coir, but i don't know how you pasteurize it AND add castings/manure. do you add the castings to the water BEFORE you add the bricks? then pasteurize in a pan in the oven? also, how do you get the perfect moisture?

at what rate do you add manure/castings to a brick? will chem ferts work? my diy pot nutes are close to cow manure's npk.

sky high

sky high

I used coir successfully mixed with about 30% vermiculite and a handful of worm castings for quite awhile. I would get a clean trashcan (like 15 gallons or so)....drop the coir brick in with the vermiculite...and then pour boiling water on the mix and cover.

Then get all yer shit ready to innoc....slap the substrate in the pan.....innoc...cover and sit on the hot water heater for 2-3 days until the myc was rockin.....then lightly case.... and BAM.

Had pretty good luck with the cubies (penis envy) and even got a few tubs of (maui) pan cyans to rock before i closed up shop. Fun stuff.... Still have some pan honey in the freezer but my head hasn't been in a good place to "go there" lately.....so there it sits.

happy travels, all!

s h

Crysmatic

Crysmatic

Thanks sky high. Hope you get to a good place soon!

I found a coir tech, like you describe, on the shroomery.

To answer my own question, simply soaking isn't quite enough. I took 100 g of rye, soaked it for a day and got 159g. Then i dried it out and got 91.4g. So the rye started out at 8.5% moisture content and got up to 42.5. Still shy of 48-52% recommended by stamets. Has anyone successfully used soaked grain as a sub - without simmering?

O

Organicyumyum

i have found that a mixture of brown rice flour and vermiculite is an amazing substrate to use. most potent mushrooms i have ever eaten, and best of all, all organic and not grown on horse crap

squiggly

squiggly

i have found that a mixture of brown rice flour and vermiculite is an amazing substrate to use. most potent mushrooms i have ever eaten, and best of all, all organic and not grown on horse crap

Second this, used to grow shrooms for years and it was brown rice/vermic all the way for me.

sometimes added worm castings as well.

sky high

sky high

The coir sub did well.....but when I switched to wild bird food (pick out the sunflower seeds) and started innoc'n that...then puttin that into a substrate things went nuts...

no bare spots in the tubs. Wall-to-wall trips! Zip-zing!

the only time I would ever use any kinda "poop" is if I was growin the pan cyans. (much stronger than cubies) I dunno anyone who uses it for cubies. Just too easy to "trich" up (IMO). I had to make 3 stabs at the pans cus they kept goin green on me in the tray.

good luck kids!

s h

Top Bottom