Curing buds with low RH in jars

• Thread starter Kclmnop92
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kclmnop92

Kclmnop92

Hey whats up guys.
I've been spending quite a bit of time searching for a clear answer to this without prevail.
I jared my plants a couple days ago and the rh in the jars has been 45-50%.
Should I burp the jars anyway? If so once or twice a day? Should I leave them shut till the rh raises closer to 60%?
What would you guys do in the situation of low rh in jars?
I stuck a couple living leaves in the jars and it hasn't done much. I ordered some bovida packs and they'll be in tonight but I've seen people say that trying to reraise jar rh can ruin the bud.

This is my second grow ever and I harvested half a pound per plant so I would hate to lose it all to an improper cure!

Thanks for your help guys. Anything helps.

Slap

Slap

just put some lemon peel in there or a small piece of bread. Works better than the Bovida packs. Waste of money in my opinion. I returned the ones I bought. If Rh is that low there isn't any reason to burp.That is way to dry, my friend. Then again 65 RH is?borderline to dry for my taste. Good Luck!

Kclmnop92

Kclmnop92

just put some lemon peel in there or a small piece of bread. Works better than the Bovida packs. Waste of money in my opinion. I returned the ones I bought. If Rh is that low there isn't any reason to burp.That is way to dry, my friend. Then again 65 RH is?borderline to dry for my taste. Good Luck!

Thanks bud. Yeah my dry room was too dry unfortunately and by the time the stems were able to crack, the bud was already too dry.
Do you not agree with the idea that rehumidfying the jar can damage the bud?

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
If you wait until the stems breaks then chances are all the moisture is gone. Rehydrating them will allow for some curing to take place, just be patient. But you’ll need to get the RH inside the jars up in order to pull it off.

Next time jar them before the stem or stalk cracks or breaks. You can always release excess moisture thru burping as you had planned but once that inner moisture is gone you’re pretty much stuck. The upside is you skipped the hay smell phase, heh.

Kclmnop92

Kclmnop92

If you wait until the stems breaks then chances are all the moisture is gone. Rehydrating them will allow for some curing to take place, just be patient. But you’ll need to get the RH inside the jars up in order to pull it off.

Next time jar them before the stem or stalk cracks or breaks. You can always release excess moisture thru burping as you had planned but once that inner moisture is gone you’re pretty much stuck. The upside is you skipped the hay smell phase, heh.

Good to know, thanks! I didn't wait till the stalk broke though, I jarred once the small branches made a small cracking noise when id bend them. I thought that was the ideal time but I guess I overdid it

Growrx

Growrx

I got a few buds that got the hay smell. What did I do wrong?
It goes away during the drying period, i believe it’s released from the bigger fan leaves so technically you could trim those off and it may help with the hay smell, from my experience it does go away with a longer dry period. I don’t jar till this smell goes away

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

i just harvested my first harvest last night i got no hay smell in fact my shit smells more like weed now then it did in my tent

johnsmith_559

johnsmith_559

the important thing is to get 85 % of the water out first before your cure. this is the maximum amount of water something can contain before mold can grow .psst 15 % water the surface tension drops so lopd can access the water and grow. this is a standard used by most industries including the weed bus and tobacco. aromatic compounds and flavonoids are water soluble so if 5ou dry the bud to were it feels dry but put it in jars and it re wets that is enough to dissolve them . I personally over dry the bud to the point it almost powders by the stalks and little branches are pliable. when I gently put it in a big or container 5hey re wet it the perfect dryness retaining a.the aromatic properties and flavors.extemmly prolific smell and taste

CF89

CF89

I let them dry in a room that was around 50% for a week or so. Till stems snapped. Then into jars and didn’t need humidity packs as the humidity in jars was low if anything

they’ve been in jars for 3 months now and the one type smells like hay

johnsmith_559

johnsmith_559

I let them dry in a room that was around 50% for a week or so. Till stems snapped. Then into jars and didn’t need humidity packs as the humidity in jars was low if anything

they’ve been in jars for 3 months now and the one type smells like hay
I have dried mine in 5 to 6 days for 30 years and then put them in a bag and they are awesome. there is a LOT of myth and hype around curing.it is a lot easier to fucknit up playing around.. dry it so no mold will grow then let it sit on a bag. I litterly have a garbage bag in my closet filled with a few lbs from my outdoor and it smells and tastes amazing.. I would not recommend taking longer than 6 ir 7 day to dry then worry about cure . there is an awful lot of spores in the air and on weed where you can see it or not . it is just waiting to sprout
fun fact BOTRYTIS CINEARA or bud rot is called noble rot in wine . it breaks the cells open on wine and let's a lot more sugars out. we make late harvest riesling ( one step down from ice wine) by freezing grapes to break open the cells as water expands when frozen . in france they do not have 4his so they use botrytis cineara.
dom perignon is moet chandon that has been left on grapes to age and rot .same with amarone wine and a lot of alsace wines. Like pinot gris.
what kills our bud makes wines sweet
Google standard commercial weed grow and they say the exact same thing

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
Automated Curing

Buckets

Jars

RH Lids

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
Thats some mental prices
For which one?

The RH Lids have to be cut to exact specs with a Water Jet ($10k) or the hygrometer won't seal properly.

For the Jars, the pump alone is $65 for the jars. Add the parts, tools needed to create the lids so they're air tight, medical grade silicone lines, manifolds, check valves, RH hygrometer, the grommets alone cost $50 for 10 (with a minimum Alibaba style order), shipping ...

The buckets are way more expensive to make and it's a lot of work to make just one. I don't even want to think about what it cost to get the tool made just to perforate the airlines. There's not enough demand to get them made in china.

Obviously, you never had to burp 100 jars every day. But hey... if you want to keep doing that for 21 days straight, without forgetting to do it or close them up before you go to bed, knock yourself out.

If you think that's expensive, don't even think about the commercial version with the Platinum Cured Medical Grade Silicone airlines. lol

Last edited:
iTurniGrow

iTurniGrow

For which one?

Whoops I didn't reply in time. Yeah I didn't look into it properly & I was originally meaning for us smaller growers, if you found a way to cut your costs by alot & mass produce it to help even us at the lower end you'd make a killing, not sure how you would do it though:p

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
My friends are all small growers and actually look forward to burping their jars once a day. It's a very enjoyable yearly ritual for them and works wonderfully. 🥰

Personally, I can't be bothered to do it every single day. But once a week I open a bucket to smell the progress. I like seeing the difference as it cures and know exactly when I can put it in storage. Usually at the end of the 3rd week. I have a Nitrogen tank so I pump some in to replace the oxygen for long term storage. The check valves keep it in and the oxygen out.

For THCFarmer members, I can send prepared Lids, Air Lines & Check Valves for $20ea + $20 shipping. More than 24 lids and the shipping has to go up by $5.

For that, I won't supply the jars, air pump, airline manifold, timer and the other stuff.
But I might throw in some sample
😁

Let me know on here, not on the website.

Tip:

#1 If you study the picture, you can figure it out and make them yourself with material you find at a pet store like PetSmart in the aquarium section. The cheap flexible PVC air lines they have are fine.

#2 Make sure your bud are dried to 60% RH. Personally, I like the lower end between 55% and 60%. More than that and it gums up my grinder.

You won't be able to find the rubber grommets but if you drill the holes in the lids the exact same size as the airline you use, it'll be somewhat air tight. Especially if you use silicone air lines.

DIY PARTS LIST

Flexible PVC Air Line

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/filte...quarium-airline-tubing-58891.html?cgid=300202
About $3

Drill Bit
1/8 inch Drill Bit (I think the size is right) to make 2 holes in the LID to fit the Air Line above.
(It'll be hard to drill a clean hole. Use a test Lid for the fit. It should be tight)

Wide Mouth Masson Jar Lid (from any hardware store or grocery store)
Don't use your mom's or she'll be pissed.
About $13

It's important to use a 2 part lid like the one above. If you don't, you'll have to disconnect the lines to open the jars just to smell your treasure.

Check Valves
https://www.petsmart.com/featured-b...-aquarium-check-valve-16877.html?cgid=5000270
About $8 ($4 each. You need 2.)

Air Pump (Plug it into your Timer)
https://www.petsmart.com/fish/filte...sper-aquarium-air-pump-18160.html?cgid=300107
About $35 (you need a big enough pump to open the check valves and pressurize the jars)

A smaller air pump won't be strong enough to open the check valves. You'll need a bigger pump for more than 2 jars ($45-$95 depending on the # of jars)

Timer (Set it for 15 minutes on every day. Longer if you have a lot of jars)
https://www.amazon.com/Century-Digital-Programmable-Packaging-Security/dp/B00MVF16JG/
About $14

Danger: Some timers (mostly mechanical timers) have 30 minute minimum intervals. That is too long for a few jars and will DRY your buds.

Optional but highly recommended.
Mini Hygrometer
(Put them in your jars so you can monitor your stash)
About $15

Total DIY Cost: $93 plus tax.

Hell, it's still cheaper to buy from me and you get better stuff with no work.

https://www.amazon.com/Veanic-Electronic-Temperature-Thermometer-Hygrometer/dp/B07GNMKYCZ/

30roll

30roll

Bump

So I dried the crap out out of a few Plants..
I added some Tangerine Peels to the jars.. Amazing how well it works.. They are holding at about 55-60%RH..
I can just leave the lids closed far a few weeks without worry??

growsince79

growsince79

Good to know, thanks! I didn't wait till the stalk broke though, I jarred once the small branches made a small cracking noise when id bend them. I thought that was the ideal time but I guess I overdid it
Humidity in the jar don't mean much. Lower the temp the humidity goes up. Raise the temperature and rh goes down. Jar full vs half full changes rh. Moisture content of the bud is what matters to me.

30roll

30roll

Humidity in the jar don't mean much. Lower the temp the humidity goes up. Raise the temperature and rh goes down. Jar full vs half full changes rh. Moisture content of the bud is what matters to me.

Cool, so then I can just leave them capped up for 2 or 3 weeks at this point?

Top Bottom