• Thread starter 303 DUB
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
Gour

Beautiful land part of the country if you don’t mind me asking? Roughly
Thanks. 45N eastern Ontario between Ottawa and Montreal. Farming country.

The weather last year was terrible for growing outdoor. Long cold spring, short cool summer with cold rains, and a fast cold fall. I had some Swazi in the ground and was a little nervous about it. I harvested it mid November after several freezing nights. Fan leaves took a beating, but the buds were unharmed (and small).

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
Well any volume automated system could never dry and cure weed as well as an experienced grower burping a few jars as needed. Its always a compromise. The buds dont all need the same treatment just like each plant can be a little different.

With volume the time needed will always reduce quality some. Its always give and take with everything. More or less. :-)
Very true. I find a looser Sativa bud structure needs a slow cure, and it's hard because they dry so fast.

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
I waannnnaa know how! Imma have to research the hell out of it!
It's good for small amounts. Like one, maybe two plants.
1. Hang dry for 3-4 days.
2. Put the buds in a box with the lid open.
3. Put it in a frost free freezer.
Tada...

Don't load up a box packed up 10 inches deep or it'll take forever. 6 inches at the very most.

testiclees

testiclees

Thanks. 45N eastern Ontario between Ottawa and Montreal. Farming country.

The weather last year was terrible for growing outdoor. Long cold spring, short cool summer with cold rains, and a fast cold fall. I had some Swazi in the ground and was a little nervous about it. I harvested it mid November after several freezing nights. Fan leaves took a beating, but the buds were unharmed (and small).
Hey bud, got any pics of that Swazi. I brought a few beans back from a recent trip to the eastern cape. Im planning on trying a couple outside in pots at 40°N next month. Wondering what i might end up with. How were your swazi nugs?

dusty68

dusty68

Why would you freeze dry your weed? only if you plan on keeping your bud in a freezer? selling it next year?
Just got too much weed and a lot of dry ice?
The taste is not as fresh...can't get any better than fresh! freezing it...no longer fresh hmmm?
I know, I know...it was freshly frozen! nyet! freezing changes your buds original FRESH make up of turpines and such.
not worth the cost of ice, not enough Tupperware... freezer space...
Yes it works... but not seeing the why...
imo slow cure is best, even over the sublimation...
slow cure...that is after your hang dry (then I do a paper bag pre cure) then jar up. burp...burp...smoke. its simple... and free of cost and time.
I've done the water cure also...bleah! a waste also...

Just throwing branches in the corner of the garden and let the sun and air dry em, beat them over a screen and have the best fresh hash ever. it worked for thousands of years that way, and still does.

keep it simple
keep it fresh

not to argue on which is best for who...if it works for you, by all means keeper going.
just throwing my two cents in cuz that's what this sites for.
and throwing out the many ways of drying and curing is good for all.

and the only DANK that is DANK is the DANK that's FRESH and not FROZEN....da dank dank..lol
luv getting blaze on tapping words...
:)
Very helpful, thanks for your input!

TaimerPots

TaimerPots

Hey everyone, I live in the sw desert and found that keeping humidity up is the biggest challenge until my most recent grow.
I applied a few stressing techniques at the end and feel collectively, they produced more crystals. Stem splitting 10 days before harvest, no water accompanied with 72 hours of darkness before harvest.
I'm set up in a 4x4 tent and I hung my plants inside, setting the string about 4 feet from the floor. First day I only had a clip fan running as high up in the tent as I could get it. The plants had enough moisture to maintain a humidity of about 70% and by the 3rd day it dropped to about 48%.
I placed a cool mist humidifier inside, set it to the lowest setting and that maintained a rh of 57-61% which is what I wanted. I was able to hang my girls for 7 days, they felt spongy and firm. Afterwards I did the double bag method for 3 days and finally jarred. I'm only burping once a day and the smell is on point, its smokable but after 2 weeks of curing I believe the flavor will even out. I think it's all about humidity and patience.
Humidity will be something that has to be learned from trail and error and since we all live in different regions, there's no one way to dry and cure. If you live in az, nm, nv I believe this will help.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I dont believe hurting or overstressing the plant increases potency.

But i do agree with keeping humidity up (but not over 60% to avoid mold) to make drying time longer is good. Longer the dry time better tasting and smoother the weed.

As long as it wasnt over nuted. Which is the main reason for all the bad smell or harsh taste or grassy type complaints.

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
I dont believe hurting or overstressing the plant increases potency.

But i do agree with keeping humidity up (but not over 60% to avoid mold) to make drying time longer is good. Longer the dry time better tasting and smoother the weed.

As long as it wasnt over nuted. Which is the main reason for all the bad smell or harsh taste or grassy type complaints.
xactly.

The best tasting and smoking weed I ever had was dried outdoors. I do my personal stash like that. The downside is that you have to watch it like a hawk. It can be ready to jar, and then rain comes overnight and re-hydrates it. So you can't put it off. When it's ready, you have to be.

I feel like the farmer trying to get the hay raked, dried, bailed and put away before it gets rained on. lol

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

So it might be a seriously nude thing to do, but I’ve been hanging for near on 18-25 days. Then to jars that I burp a few times each day, or every other if I forget. I’m curious about the reasoning behind the paper bag methodology, does the paper pull more humidity out of the flower?

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey green , the large paper bags are nice because they slowly draw moisture out of the bud then evaporate , sort of like a buffer between the moist bud and the drier outside air , is a nice slow process that you can controll by opening the bag periodically and adjust by leaving the bag open then closing for a few days , also works with a cardboard box , some people put bud in large plastic bags or baggies but ive found that sweats the bud too much and you dont have as much control .....

Dr.B

Dr.B

So it might be a seriously nude thing to do, but I’ve been hanging for near on 18-25 days. Then to jars that I burp a few times each day, or every other if I forget. I’m curious about the reasoning behind the paper bag methodology, does the paper pull more humidity out of the flower?
Are you needing to hang dry for that long? I'm in a semi-arid climate... I hang for 3 days, trim and dry in the rack for about 12 hours before jarring it all. 24 hours after jarring my humidity is at about 64%. Good enough to cure.

If I hung for 25 days I'd have a couple pounds of high grade pot dust. ;)

Dr.B

Dr.B

That's the way to do it. But my problem is having to stay home (no such a big deal with flu and self isolation. lol) and doing 4 dozen jars eeeeevery siiiiiiingle daaaaaay. So I automated it :)
Get bigger jars lol ;)

IMG 20200528 073821
Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

Are you needing to hang dry for that long? I'm in a semi-arid climate... I hang for 3 days, trim and dry in the rack for about 12 hours before jarring it all. 24 hours after jarring my humidity is at about 64%. Good enough to cure.

If I hung for 25 days I'd have a couple pounds of high grade pot dust. ;)

very humid environment here. I might have to think seriously about building a drying space with dehumidifie.

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
Get bigger jars lol ;)
Nice jar and buds. What is it?

I had 1000 plants last year. 400 open pollinated (started with 800). For flower I'd need about 100 of those big jars. I use pails. But that's not the point really. It's the freedom. I cure for about 4 weeks. Sometimes 5. I just don't have to to stick around for it. The real nice aromas don't surface until the 3rd week anyway so I'm not missing anything.

This is what I use.

I've set up a couple people with buckets, but most people get this one.

Tight or loose nugs, the cure is *always perfect. If you've ever cured perfectly, you know the aroma I'm talking about.

People buy by the look, and a little by the smell. This flips it around. They'll buy because of how it smells first, then the look.

I give away about 20 pound bags to family and friends at christmas time. Perfect timing and makes a great gift :) Now I always suggest they put it in big jars, and take from a small one they refill. If you keep opening a big jar with your stash, it'll be dry as shit by the time you finish the jar. By that time you have to start throwing orange peel in the jar to rehydrate it (*gag). Then it's only a memory of what it use to be.

Having said all that, I'm a huge fan of THC coconut oil in capsules. Keeps me high for 4-5 hours. It also lets me sleep like a 15 year old again. You know when you wake up in the morning with drool on your pillow, your hair all fucked up and your eyes like slits? Ya... like that. lol

Peace.

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
Hey bud, got any pics of that Swazi. I brought a few beans back from a recent trip to the eastern cape. Im planning on trying a couple outside in pots at 40°N next month. Wondering what i might end up with. How were your swazi nugs?
Sorry. missed your post.
It was fantastic. Swazi comes from the mountains of Swaziland so they're well suited to cool night, hot days and high humidity at the end. Even freezing temps when it's finishing. Just like in it's native land.

This was a test plant in 2018. Planted July 1st! (very late)

I did this one last year. It went in the ground around mid June and was one planted in sand with a little PromixHP. Fed and watered once a week. 11 feet.

Mid October

Harvested mid November after 4-5 heavy frosts. Leaves took a beating, but the buds were perfectly fine.

Once dried, most buds were a little bigger than marbles. Perfect for a bowl. lol

40N? I say go for it!

Moshmen

Moshmen

I had 1000 plants last year. 400 open pollinated (started with 800). For flower I'd need about 100 of those big jars. I use pails. But that's not the point really. It's the freedom. I cure for about 4 weeks. Sometimes 5. I just don't have to to stick around for it. The real nice aromas don't surface until the 3rd week anyway so I'm not missing anything.

This is what I use.
View attachment 979473
View attachment 979474

Tight or loose nugs, the cure is *always perfect. If you've ever cured perfectly, you know the aroma I'm talking about.

People buy by the look, and a little by the smell. This flips it around. They'll buy because of how it smells first, then the look.

I give away about 20 pound bags to family and friends at christmas time. Perfect timing and makes a great gift :) Now I always suggest they put it in big jars, and take from a small one they refill. If you keep opening a big jar with your stash, it'll be dry as shit by the time you finish the jar. By that time you have to start throwing orange peel in the jar to rehydrate it (*gag). Then it's only a memory of what it use to be.

Having said all that, I'm a huge fan of THC coconut oil in capsules. Keeps me high for 4-5 hours. It also lets me sleep like a 15 year old again. You know when you wake up in the morning with drool on your pillow, your hair all fucked up and your eyes like slits? Ya... like that. lol

Peace.
Are you pumping in fresh air? Or vacuum out the stale air? Pulling new in.

Dr.B

Dr.B

This is what I use.
View attachment 979473
View attachment 979474

Peace.

"Nice jar and buds. What is it?"

Whoah lol, just woke. I'll get back to you. 😁

Top Bottom