Curing process only 47-51% in jars with 58% packs and meters

• Thread starter CF89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CF89

CF89

kinda paranoid about my curing process. I already had my wet sugar leaf turn moldy in an OPEN CONTAINER in like 3 days. not happy about that.

Ive got about an oz in each 1L jar.

buds were let dry on a screen for 9 days, stems were snapping decently. not bone dry though. I chopped a bud in the grinder and it was definitely sticky and moist still, not bone dry.

ive got them in jars with a Boveda 58% humidity pack and digital meters for 12 hours so far, and the meters still arent even close to 58%.

how do I proceed? should I be opening the jars and letting them burp if the humidity is this low?

are these boveda packs any good? I think these packs are only good for 14g... these things are gonna get expensive if I get 20+ oz next grow.

are these jars packed too full? do you guys use bigger (gallon) jars?

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
You’re pretty spot on. 50-55% in jars is on the right path. Mine are currently at 52% after 3 weeks Curing.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I've never used the Boveda packs. I let them dry for about a week... this year I let them dry outdoors and they turned out nicely After they are fairly dry, I put them into gallon ziplocks and let it sit for 24 hours and check the moisture level. The buds will re-hydrate a little from the residual moisture in the stems and stuff, so I might leae the bag cracked open overnight to dry a little more moisture out. Once they get to where I want them, I transfer them into mason jars. I check the jars to make sure the moisture stays low enough to prevent mold every few days until I'm certain that they are stabilized and immune to mold. They will still cure in the jar a little and develop their taste and smell.
This is how I do it, but there are a million ways to do it... as long s you avoid mold and don't dry them too quickly.

Mikelej14

Mikelej14

I do until crisp on outside usually 3-5days on rack then into paper bags for another 3-5 days, then in jar, it's usually 60-64% range and I burp twice a day until under 60, then burp once a day or every other. After a few weeks in jar the flavors and aromas begin to return :)

R

redshift75

i have been experimenting with my dry. makes me feel like im super on the high side. As i try to go 55% swings up 65% keep swinging. Then i wait til the bud shows about 11% on the moisture meter and have been throwing them in the jars to finish curing. usually going in they are about 59% and then swings up 63-64% and now is stable at around 60%. one jar is 58% other 60%. I thought i read some studies under 55% you start to lose some cannibinoids and terpenes to evaporation. Im trying to attempt something like 62% long dry. then do 62% down to 56% curing. Maybe im wrong on it though. I read for days on it and all i did was confuse myself about the drying process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

47% might be a little dry? I've read curing stops below 57% rh but I'm not sure how true that is and I'm not one for long-drawn-out cures anyway; I vacuum seal mine when they're between 57 and 60% RH in the jar, hope that helps

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Even 58 % is a tad dry imo. Good for smoking but too dry to continue the curing process.

Sweet spot for me is to start the curing process in a cvault about 66/67%.

Last crop sitting stable at 61% in a cvault after 7 weeks with no boveda

Mikelej14

Mikelej14

Since I smoke as soon as "ready enough", I only grow what I use, so typically once my stuff hits around the 61% stable in jar I figure it's good for smoke. Sometimes it's just not ready... Other times it's gassy af.. I don't have enough personal experience to know if there is something I'm doing different or wrong, so far have just chalked it up to plant genetics, typically half my grow comes out 🔥 from the first grind, and other half turns okay so-so after a few weeks cure 💁 I'll either figure it out or I won't.. but either way, so far, I have been satisfied... Better quality than I was getting buying prior to growing, anyway so I count it as a win regardless with only room for extra :)

CF89

CF89

I hope I didnt get it too low. I read that under 55% that curing stops and will not resume.. hope thats not the case. time will tell I guess.

Wh1teScorp1on

Wh1teScorp1on

Curing bud is one of the most important steps in growing. Nothing worse then having 2+ months of your hard work go to bunk. My process personally is to never go below desired 65% humidity once in jars requiring bovida packs. I use 62% bovidas and dry 8oz in 1 gallon jars at a time. Never mold problems and always cures nice. I cut wet. Screen dry 2-3 days with fans box dry 3-4 days with fans and finally cure for 2 weeks to 2 months. Perfect every time. Btw pot is smokeable at 70%

715CBB46 CBBD 402E 9DAB 5BE28F17A981
Dank.in.Donuts

Dank.in.Donuts

kinda paranoid about my curing process. I already had my wet sugar leaf turn moldy in an OPEN CONTAINER in like 3 days. not happy about that.

buds were let dry on a screen for 9 days, stems were snapping decently. not bone dry though. I chopped a bud in the grinder and it was definitely sticky and moist still, not bone dry.

ive got them in jars with a Boveda 58% humidity pack and digital meters for 12 hours so far, and the meters still arent even close to 58%.

how do I proceed? should I be opening the jars and letting them burp if the humidity is this low?

are these boveda packs any good? I think these packs are only good for 14g... these things are gonna get expensive if I get 20+ oz next grow.

T

TeW33zy

I see lots of issues here. First, get rid of those wack boveda packs, those things are horrible. They kill your terps and makes your cannabis smell like gel. 2nd, Boveda packs add a 3cm monolayer of purified water 💧 over your terpenes to prevent volatility. Some is good, none is horrible. Cannabis people purchase based off appearance and smell. No smell no buy.

T

TeW33zy

Here’s how mines looks. It’s Oreoz x Dripping Sprinklez and the other is Rainbow Skittlez x Fruity Pebbles OG

951BFE61 8C76 41F0 88AC 4E95389D80C8
B2AA42CB 4EDD 48CE 83CE 0D16568A8B9B
IMG 7342
IMG 7340
IMG 7339
04351C14 EF5A 4901 BD2C B77D3EDB7B08
Top Bottom