curing question

• Thread starter mmmdankbuds420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

Ive read a few different approaches to drying and curing methods and I've decided to do kyle kushmans method. Dry the buds until stems make a snap sound but do not dry until stems break when bent. The nugs should be crispy on the outside but still moist in the center and springy. He says after this cure in glass jars without burping for a whole week and then go for another week or more.

http://medicalinvalid.com/kyle-kushman/curing-marijuana

He doesn't go into much detail rather than that and I've dried the bud, stems snap but don't break, and the buds are crispy on the outside but still spongy. I've now jarred it up and the I went against what he said and cracked the jars already on day 2 to check up progress and the smell is dank beyond dank and the buds are now super sticky but really moist, no crispiness.

Now finally to my question. I want to know, should I give a long burp, say take the buds out for 12 hours or so, or just keep the curring process going and as long as no moisture is seen on the inside of the jar then I'm OK?

This is my first grow and first cure so I'm open to any other suggestions I can use for the rest of my curing or even for my next grow. Thanks a lot everybody! :) happy tokin'

shawnskush

shawnskush

I typically open for an hour stir leave for another hour and then close it up daily for 2-3 weeks to get a real nice cure. Get a caliber 2 rh gauge, super cheap and it will tell you when the buds are dry enough for long term sealed cure... 62% IMO but this is just what works for me.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I stopped using jars years ago after I lost about a quarter pound to mold. I feel that if you're going to use jars, do NOT leave them unopened for a whole week, burping daily is pretty much a must, and in fact I would go further to suggest that you may want to pull the buds out and inspect to make absolutely certain no mold is present. It'll ruin the buds pretty quickly once it gets a foothold. Do NOT wait to see moisture on the inside of the jars, by then it's too wet and too late.

Consider using a brown paper bag during part of this process.

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

Thanks guys. and now another quick question. I don't care how potent my bud is, to an extent. As long as its in the chronic range I'm OK, but my biggest pet peeve is having weed that's not smelly. smell and taste and appearance are more important to me then potency since if its delicious I won't mind smoking a little bit extra to get medicated ;) I've heard of the paper bag method

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

And have been curious about it, the only reason I haven't done it is because I feel like my bud will just lose all of its smell and I would be devestated. Does it just take a few days in a glass jar after paper bags to get the smell back?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The glass jars are entirely unnecessary, IMO and IME. What's necessary are cool temps, darkness, and for drying an RH of about 50%-55%, and for curing an RH of about 60%-65%. I've never had a problem with smell due to using paper bags (or plastic bins, which is now what I prefer, FAR easier to deal with OD trees using plastic bins, assuming I cannot simply allow the plants to hang in the basement for curing).

Z

z pine

It depends how quick your trying to cure ..brown paper bags work great ..wait til the stems crack but don't break and the outside is begining to harden. The secret is having a huge jar or container with plenty of room so your medicine is loose and free. You can tumble a few times a day to stabilize your humidity and if it gets too wet take it out and brown bag for aday then return to jar .. after a few rounds the buds will stabilize and you'll be able to check the jar once a day

Paperchase

Paperchase

I had gud results frm my small c-valut by fresh stor put buds that I had off a autoflower in there after eight days of drying them steam wud snap but nt break and was still wet in the middle left it in there for bout twenty days no burping needed and when I got them out they were fresh and dry all the way threw no mold or nothing smoked great just my two cent.

Z

z pine

what
I had gud results frm my small c-valut by fresh stor put buds that I had off a autoflower in there after eight days of drying them steam wud snap but nt break and was still wet in the middle left it in there for bout twenty days no burping needed and when I got them out they were fresh and dry all the way threw no mold or nothing smoked great just my two cent.
What is this c valut you speak of ? Sounds interesting

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

I asked nMeeks why people put tomatoes into paper bags to ripen. He stated that during the ripening process, the fruits releases a gas (methalymine?) which, when trapped in the bag, accelerates the ripening. Cool stuff, yeah?

Buy a couple small hygrometers that you can put in your jars so you can see where they're at (rh level). 58% is the end goal for me. Anymore for me is a bit too wet. 58% is nice and tacky. If the bud's get too dry the curing process stops, so the lowest I want to let them get is 55%. If they're over 63%, open the lids for a couple hrs or back in the paper bags. If they get too dry, throw in a fresh leaf. Stabilize @58-60%. Keep jars in a dark, cool location.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ethylene is what causes the ripening. Bananas and apples give off quite a bit, too, so because I prefer somewhat green bananas I store them with the potatoes instead.

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

If I put my buds to cure too early after I dried them, still a little to wet but were crispy when i put in, will my end result as far as smell and flavor be more Like grass or hay instead of the dank I want? I don't smell any ammonia smell.

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

Another thing, what's the point of the paper bags after drying, before curing? Does work kind of like half curing and half drying before the final cure, as a way to make the process slower like desired? Thanks a lot every body! Anything and everything helps :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If I put my buds to cure too early after I dried them, still a little to wet but were crispy when i put in, will my end result as far as smell and flavor be more Like grass or hay instead of the dank I want? I don't smell any ammonia smell.
Part of the curing process is getting even RH throughout. That remaining moisture is why it's critical to burp if you're using any kind of sealed container.
Another thing, what's the point of the paper bags after drying, before curing? Does work kind of like half curing and half drying before the final cure, as a way to make the process slower like desired? Thanks a lot every body! Anything and everything helps :)
The point of paper bags is to prevent mold, while simultaneously evening out RH through the plant material. It is sort of slowing down the process, but since it's part of curing and curing takes time no matter what, it's really only slowing down moisture loss without posing the risk of mold that jars pose.

I have only taken my first sips of coffee, so if this post doesn't make sense, I apologize and will try to come back later when I'm more awake.

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

Very much appreciated maiden! You always come through :) e

gumby420

gumby420

i keep a 64% humidpak in a home depot bucket with lid on and it works pretty damn well

Top Bottom